Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2011, 05:31 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Numero Uno - Pentax M 50mm f1.7 & Numero Dos - DA 18-55 WR

If you measure favorite by most used or most frequently on the camera then I have two favorite lenses. One for my 35mm and one for my digital.

On my 35mm film cameras the M 50mm f1.7 is hands down the one that gets used the most, so it certainly qualifies as my favorite lens...period. Since I shoot film 100 to 1 over digital than this prime is my top lens. It is light, easy to use, provides excellent image quality, and is just plain handy. I have a number of very nice manual lenses that I will pack in my bag when I go out for a shoot, but this 50 is always there. And unless there is a specific need for a different focal range, it is also the one that gets used the most.

The Pentax DA 18-55 weather resistant lens is almost always on my K-7. I know it is not the best of the best, but it takes some very nice pictures, it is quite light, it covers the focal range I use the most, it takes a decent close focus shot (faux macro) and it is weather resistant so it works in all forms of weather conditions, one of the biggest reasons I bought the K-7 in the first place. I have a number of fine Pentax primes, including Limiteds, that I absolutely love and use, but if you measure "favorite" by the one that gets used most of the time, it has to be this kit zoom.

I am really an amateur and I still have an awful lot to learn about photography, but I honestly find these lenses to be my most useful and they are also the ones where I find the most shots that I like when it is all said and done

!!(Of course there is also that old Vivitar MC 50mm 1.7 I pack whenever I intend to shoot in rotten locations like anywhere I might encounter dust, dirt, sand, etc. It also takes a mean picture)!!

!!(Then of course there is my medium format Pentax...Oh bother, so many lenses and so little time)!!

10-21-2011, 05:38 PM   #17
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Just a reminder- if you'd like these to make it to the homepage, please shoot me your lens choice & comments via PM. It doesn't make sense to duplicate the content further if you already posted it here

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-21-2011, 06:52 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What's my favorite lens?
This, out of my line up of lenses is a no brainer! Hands down it's my FA 43mm Ltd for it's decent speed, unparalleled sharpness (especially @ f4) and amazing FA-LTD rendering. I usually end up using this for everything from portraiture to landcapes and Pano's and long exposure shooting, even water drop photography! This lens spends the most time on my K-5 by far, probably 60 % of all my K-5's shots or more. It's simply hard to beat its tack sharp resolution and the way it renders it's images. Those are things you sure can't "fix" in PP work!

I was lucky to pick this lens up PERIOD, when my K-5 order came in, my 18-135 rainy day lens did not come in at the same time. So the shop owners father (and former shop owner) came down and brought down his 43ltd he was willing to part with since he moved to a Nikon FF (he still won't tell me what other goodies he has in Pentax). So I gladly picked it up that day and have been thankful ever since... sure I could have grabbed a SMC tak 50mm f1.7 or 55mm f1.8 to at least have a lens to play with, but I'd done my homework on the base Pentax lens lineup thanks to this forum! So now between this, my SMC Tak 28mm f3.5 and my Tamron adaptall 23B (60-300mm), I'm covered until my budget allows.. FA 77 might be my "next favorite lens" when I get one.. insatiable LBA!

Water Drop Photography with a thread mount TC reversed in front of the 43Ltd.

When on vacation, this is definitely my walk about lens (unless it's raining).

One of MANY long exposure shots I've done with this lens using CPL and ND8 filters.

One of my first portraits after picking up this lens.. my little monster! Was never expecting to turn out that well, kinda wish I washed him up better after dinner! oh well more PP work!

One of MANY pano's I've stitched with this beauty as well!

Last edited by Chex; 10-21-2011 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Grammer... after all I R a mech a nik!
10-22-2011, 12:05 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
favourite lens: from the lenses I have i think it is DA70 nowadays - simply amazing little lens, one of those which you can use and don't have to worry about f-stops to achieve IQ.
But looking in the past - I used to own FA43 and i think I'll pick that one as an overall favourite, even with its obscure focal lenght on dSLRs. It is not flawless lens, and arguably least desired of FA limiteds, however for me it has most distinctive rendering, great sharpness in the image centre helps to create hint of 3dimensionality on photos while not so creamy bokeh can with some backgrounds create almost impresionistic quality.
I had to get used at first to the strange focal lenght but soon enough I found myself searching for compositions that suited exactly FOW of FA43 and back then when I owned it hardly any other lens managed to get some use.

10-22-2011, 02:07 AM   #20
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
So should I just close this thread and keep bumping it or what :tongue:

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-23-2011, 03:13 AM   #21

favorite lens

My favorite lens is the 10-17 fisheye zoom. It is my "standard " lens. I like the fact that basically everything is going to be in the shot and in focus. To keep the main subject from shrinking-just get in closer. I enjoy the skill element of being able to manipulate the relative sizes of subject to background.
10-23-2011, 08:03 AM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
So should I just close this thread and keep bumping it or what :tongue:
I dunno, but the thread is running amok, amok, amok.

I say, the people whom are interested will follow the instructions and PM you; let the rest run amok
10-23-2011, 08:26 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
I dunno, but the thread is running amok, amok, amok.

I say, the people whom are interested will follow the instructions and PM you; let the rest run amok
We're probably amok because we won't bother to compete. [/me runs further amok]