Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2011, 08:58 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What's your favorite lens?

What's your favorite lens? I'd like to spice up our front page a bit by featuring a few short posts from the community!

If you'd like in, simply write a short piece (2-3 paragraphs) with the following contents, and send it to me via PM!
If it's good, I'll publish it on our front page
  • What's your favorite lens?
  • Why is it your favorite lens?
  • What do you use it for?
  • How often do you use it?
  • Did you buy it over any other lenses?
  • A few sample photos, or a link to your photo stream.

While this isn't a giveaway, I do have one remote control left over, and will gladly send it to whoever comes up with the most interesting read! Thanks for looking!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-20-2011, 09:28 PM   #2
Site Supporter

I'm tempted to do a write up on the a* 1200 just because, but I don't think its my favorite
10-20-2011, 09:31 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
That would be awesome though!!

Adam

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-20-2011, 10:16 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
That would be awesome though!!
I'll have to leave that one to @smc. We haven't had it long enough for it to be a favorite.

I'll likely pick the FA* 250-600 though.

10-20-2011, 11:08 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
I'll have to leave that one to @smc. We haven't had it long enough for it to be a favorite.

I'll likely pick the FA* 250-600 though.
In the hug a lens department, the 400 f/2.8 is gettng my hugs, although were I to nominate one of the Pentax exotics least likely
to ever see production again it would be on the list.
10-20-2011, 11:17 PM   #6

Since getting the A 35-105mm f3.5 a couple of months ago I just can't seem to get over the image qualities it presents when mounted on my K-5. It's a great range for landscape photography and has replaced a bag full of primes for me on many occasions.

We'll see how long the honeymoon period lasts but for now it gets my vote...

Sent from my Atrix®
10-20-2011, 11:23 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
If Pentax were to come out with a full-frame body I would be using that lens all the time- I love it as well (but the FOV is better on film than on APS-C IMO)!

QuoteOriginally posted by neil Quote
A 35-105mm f3.5

Adam

10-21-2011, 12:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm torn between the F35-70 and my new F35-105.
Both are good (sharp) for walkaround. The first one is more compact, the other has more reach.
Both have fast AF, but neither has good AF in low light (com pared to kit lens).
I wanted the F35-70, but had a severe case of LBA when a new old stock F35-105 turned up.

Seb.

Repost of dog with F35-105.

10-21-2011, 01:41 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Depends on what's meant by 'favorite'. Most-used? Most useful? Most loved? Most hoped-for?
Depends on when and where and why. My favorite for travel, portraits, streetwalking, macro?

For travel, much walkabout, utility, and always being on me, it's the DA18-250, no question.
For bokeh, rendering, beauty, certain portraits, general awesomeness, it's the old K50/1.2.
For gotta-get-the-shot dependability, great range of control, agility, it must be the FA50/1.4.
For being a compact bagful of primes in my most-used shooting range, it's the little F35-70.
And for a challenging chunk of glass that makes me work, the Schneider Betavaron 50-125.

I hope that last one doesn't get me exiled.
10-21-2011, 02:11 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

I refuse to have a favourite lens for fear of making my other lenses jealous.
10-21-2011, 02:51 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Depends on what's meant by 'favorite'. Most-used? Most useful? Most loved? Most hoped-for?
Depends on when and where and why. My favorite for travel, portraits, streetwalking, macro?
All above works.

But at times, when I put on white gloves and a surgeons mask (to prevent drooling while whispering "my precious" in a coarse voice) when reaching for the Sigma EX 180 macro, I do (afterwards) believe the LBA has some side effects.

Seb.
10-21-2011, 04:27 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If Pentax were to come out with a full-frame body I would be using that lens all the time- I love it as well (but the FOV is better on film than on APS-C IMO)!
For sure, thats why I have been using it on my MZ-7 loaded with Velvia 50 as well. ;-). The A 24-50mm f4 I just picked up has been seeing more film duty however.

Sent from my Atrix®
10-21-2011, 04:55 AM   #13
Pentaxian

When I think about that question, the lens that always comes to mind is the DA21 Limited.

It's not my most-used lens. It's not my sharpest even though it's close. It doesn't have the smoothest bokeh. It's not my widest nor my longest lens. It's not my fastest lens.

But the colours, oh the colours! The colours I get when using this lens are amazing. It seems to expand the dynamic range of my camera somehow. I can always spot the pictures taken with that lens without looking at the EXIF data. It just has that little something.

The focal length and size also make it a formidable lens to carry if I can't/don't want to bring multiple lenses. The AF is extremely reliable and fast (especially for an f3.2 lens) and the quick-shift, even though seldom used, if a neat feature. The aesthetics of the lens are also up there with the best.

The lens gets used for general (and especially low-light) walkarounds, for landscapes and often for night panoramas. Sometimes I use it for wide studio views but it's almost too sharp for this use. It makes a great low-light team with the F50 f1,7 and if needed the DFA 100 WR macro.

I now have a very well balanced kit, with excellent lenses covering various purposes. But the DA21 Limited is probably the one I look at the most lovingly.

---

Adam, for samples I propose you use my review of the lens that you already host here
10-21-2011, 05:20 AM   #14
Pentaxian

1. What's your favorite lens?

When you have a number of lenses if is difficult to pick one as the favourite but if I had to keep just one lens it would be my K 200/2.5.

2. Why is it your favorite lens?

So many things come to mind. At f 2.5 it is the fastest 200mm Pentax ever made. That extra speed makes it useful for indoors shots in auditoriums, gyms etc. The extra speed also makes it very bright in the viewfinder. This brightness is always there, unlike slower lenses, and it helps me focus in dim light. Come to think of it this helps focusing in any sort of light. Build quality, as with every K series lens I have seen, is fantastic. It balances perfectly on my K10 as well as my K2 film camera. While there is some CA wide open this clears up past that point and the lens is very sharp and contrasty. On a more subjective level it just “feels” right. Hard to quantify “feel” but when you experience it you know it is right. You know you have a great optic in your hands and you try to live up to your equipment.

3. What do you use it for?

I use it for sports, wildlife, gyms and other other indoor shots. Once in a while I use it for portraits.

4. How often do you use it?

It is always in my bag and sees frequent use.

5. Did you buy it over any other lenses?

No. I saw one in the early 1980s. I had a chance to buy it and hesitated. Of course someone else jumped in and snatched it up. I didn’t see another one for twenty years. This time I didn’t hesitate.

6. A few sample photos, or a link to your photo stream.

Here’s a few from the K 200/2.5

Football

Rugby

Son Jimmy's Indoor concert

Wildlife - click on this one for a larger image. Note the detail in the feathers. This is one sharp lens.

Camera Pentax K 10D

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 10-21-2011 at 05:34 AM.
10-21-2011, 05:04 PM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Here are the stories so far! Keep the PMs coming

Our Members' Favorite Lenses - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

Adam