Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2007, 01:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
non-pentax lens review dbase?

Can't remember seeing this asked before, but is there any reason why there couldn't be some manner of review database for the non-Pentax lenses as well? I understand many here prefer pentax and what not, but i notice a good many using at least some 3rd party glass, and while I can google for the reviews, a good deal of those are reviewed with other bodies, and I would rather check a similar database, as I find reviews from actual users, with similar setups (same brand if not same body) are far more useful than seeing how a 3rd party lens worked on a canon or nikon.

just curious....otherwise ill just search for feedback on 3rd party lenses

12-11-2007, 01:17 PM   #2

I'd appriciate having such a database too, including the old lenses...
12-11-2007, 02:13 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A non-Pentax lens database would be a HUGE undertaking. I think Adam has said that he's open to it, but someone needs to supply him with a list of all the lenses.
12-11-2007, 02:28 PM   #4
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/suggestions-errors-help/8567-subsection-n...ax-lenses.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/11644-non-pent...s-reviews.html

Read the posts by Mo (Adam) as to the possibility and/or criteria for it. the idea seems to have fallen into the ether.

(...let 'Advanced Search' be your guide... (lol) I entered 'non pentax lens' , and searched Titles only)

12-11-2007, 02:36 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I sent a ton of data to JCSullivan on this, and I think it is a question of personal tome to sort it out.

I think the data I had covered about 300 lenses.
12-11-2007, 02:48 PM   #6
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I sent a ton of data to JCSullivan on this, and I think it is a question of personal tome to sort it out.

I think the data I had covered about 300 lenses.
Ya, That was a huge list; that was great. But that was a .PDF (2nd page of th 2nd link of my previous post). I tried exporting that to text for the fun of it. ...It wasn't pretty (it's attached).
edit: But saving to HTML then opening that in Excel would probably work great (I attached that too). Ya, hoping Mo eventually picks this back up.
Attached Files
File Type: zip SPLOSdb-2004-09-31.zip (108.4 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by m8o; 12-11-2007 at 03:04 PM.
12-11-2007, 04:34 PM   #7

Why not ask people for their feedback for the lenses they own? It will not be the most comprehencive list of all lenses ever made from the start, but hey, give us some time, and the database WILL shine!
There is something like that for SONY/Minolta mount... here Minolta Sony alpha lens database - Dyxum.com

I really would like to see something like that for Pentax mounts, and I'll definetely submit data about lenses that I own/will be owning.

12-11-2007, 06:56 PM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by igowerf Quote
A non-Pentax lens database would be a HUGE undertaking. I think Adam has said that he's open to it, but someone needs to supply him with a list of all the lenses.
FotoKritik
12-11-2007, 07:43 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alib99 Quote
The information is definitely out there, but those kinds of list are all over the internet. How about one that has detailed information about each lens (weight, filter size, number of elements, etc.)? For someone to compile all that information into a format that's easily imported would be a huge undertaking.

Look at this thread that was linked above:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/11644-non-pent...s-reviews.html

Last edited by igowerf; 12-11-2007 at 07:52 PM.
12-12-2007, 03:39 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The information is definitely out there, but those kinds of list are all over the internet. How about one that has detailed information about each lens (weight, filter size, number of elements, etc.)? For someone to compile all that information into a format that's easily imported would be a huge undertaking.

Look at this thread that was linked above:
That was how this all started, we each began by giving data for our own lenses (I have 7 plus 4 TCs non pentax) then someone said that was not enough to start, so I got 30 pages of data including weight, configuration (elements / groups) apature range, minimum focusing distance) filter diameter etc, and put this all in a spread sheet. It is a TON of data, and it would also be useful if even for pentax reviews, there was this data available. I have been waiting for the next step.
12-12-2007, 08:23 AM   #11
m8o
Veteran Member

That's why Adam needs an Intern!