Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2007, 01:24 PM   #1

UV filter vs Protector

Hello everyone,
I want to ask perhaps a veeery newbish question... But I really would like to know what's the difference in picture quality, especially in sky colors, taken with uv filters and protector ones.
I know the theory, UV ones suppose tu completely stop UV rays, while protector ones generally do not change the spectre, but the glass itself eats UV spectre, as far as I remember from school physics.

I always used cameras with UV ones, but now I asked myself - do I NEED UV protection? I need to buy myself some filters soon and I'd be very grateful if anyone can take a pic with sky in it with UV filter and same pic with protector filter, so i could choose what ot buy.

12-11-2007, 01:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use uv filters, but only to protect damaging the lens. Although lately I have been hearing that I probably shouldn't because the filters mean that I am losing quality since they aren't up to par with my glass. Who knows, I can't tell much of a difference, I guess I just don't have a good enough eye.
12-11-2007, 03:15 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Snowcat Quote
I need to buy myself some filters soon and I'd be very grateful if anyone can take a pic with sky in it with UV filter and same pic with protector filter, so i could choose what ot buy.
I'm no expert but AFAIK there should be no much of a difference between the 2. also the protector filter should also be coated (like the UV Filter) to prevent some negative effects.

What I do know is that a Polarizer filter has effect on the Sky (makes it more blue) and it counters some reflections on non metalic surfaces.
12-11-2007, 04:01 PM   #4

Personally I don't use a filter to "protect" the lens unless I am shooting in harsh (wet, dusty, etc...) conditions. I always use a lens hood (hard plastic type, not rubber) to protect the front element.

12-11-2007, 04:18 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jbcampbell Quote
Personally I don't use a filter to "protect" the lens unless I am shooting in harsh (wet, dusty, etc...) conditions. I always use a lens hood (hard plastic type, not rubber) to protect the front element.
I used to use a UV filter on all my lenses for protection. I stopped doing that about 20 years ago. I have not had any damage since. I do use lens hoods at all times. I do not use a lick of the tongue and my tie with pizza sauce on it to wipe off the lens.

A lens hood protects against physical damage. It also reduces flare and all that as advertised.

If I am on a sandy beach on the West coast, I will put a filter on. It is easier to wipe down the filter than the front of the lens when salt spray and sand get at it.
12-11-2007, 09:34 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Here's the best filter/no filter thread I know of. Ho hum.

Filter recommendation - Digital Camera Resource Page - Forums
12-11-2007, 11:06 PM   #7

I prefer hoods, or even no protection to having a filter in front of my glass at all times.
With a filter, you lose the benefits of the wonderful SMC coating, and you'll be far more prone to flare.

I think "protection" is somewhat overrated, at least for anyone who is not a pro journalist or something. As long as you use due care, I don't think you'll have any problems.
12-12-2007, 10:17 AM   #8

I use Hoya UV HMC 62mm to protect my Siggy 30/1.4

To protect my DA40 and DA70, I use 2 cheapest 49mm uv filters instead of hood. Coz it's easier to plug and unplug 49mm universal lenscap rather than original lenscap of DA40 and DA70.
I broke the filter glass btw. But 3 filters should be better.

What i want to say is, if diameter thread is small (49mm or 52mm), put 2 or 3 filters without glass. Should be cheap since diameter is small. And only if vignetting won't occur (by stacking 2 or 3 filters).
If vignetting occured, replace the last filter with step-up filter.

If you use hood, it's not easy to attach the lens cap (but the best one). You choose.

kyrios

Last edited by kyrios; 12-12-2007 at 10:24 AM.