Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2011, 11:40 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FA*300/4.5+Vivitar 1.4x AF TC combo

I have found a few questions with no real answers about the Vivitar Series1 1.4x AF TC here. I use it extensively and most of the time - handhold. Actually I purchased FA*300/4.5 instead of DA*300/4 for only one reason: to utilize not SDM but screw driven AF. At that moment those rare 1.4-1.5x Pz Kenko/Tamron TCs were unavailable. So I took a bullet and purchased the Vivitar 1.4x from B&H. I never regretted it. As expected it doesn't work with SDM lenses, but makes very light and portable 420mm/6.3 combo when paired with F*FA* 300. Considering high ISO capability of K-5, it works fine for me. I also own 1.7X AFA but for many days it's still unopened. I like the way how the combo auto focus with Vivitar 1.4x better, I guess. And this is the only high quality 1.4x AF TC available now brand new and not from second hand market.
Below is the sample of what the combo is capable of (K-5, handheld):
There is also a picture of a long-tailed weasel taken with this combo here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/welcomes-introductions/162048-my-very-first-post-here.html
Actually I have more samples posted on DPR DSLR Pentax forum. If it's OK, I can post a few links by request.
BTW: A few days ago I also purchased considered by many the best 1.4x TC - the Sigma 1.4X APO EX (not DG!) it's coming on 28th. So, I'll expect more fun ahead.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
10-23-2011, 01:18 AM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Great shot. This is an interesting experience as I have the FA*300mm 4.5 and I am also interested by a tele.

Like you I selected to buy the FA*300mm f4.5 instead of the DA*300m f4, but for different reasons: smaller and lighter lens and no SDM.

Thank you for sharing your experience.
10-23-2011, 07:09 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome aboard Greyser. I need to post some from the DA*300 and AFA 1.7x. I really like that combo too. If I were starting over, I would probably get the FA instead of the DA lens.
10-23-2011, 10:30 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Fa*300/4.5

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
Great shot. This is an interesting experience as I have the FA*300mm 4.5 and I am also interested by a tele.

Like you I selected to buy the FA*300mm f4.5 instead of the DA*300m f4, but for different reasons: smaller and lighter lens and no SDM.

Thank you for sharing your experience.
Thanks. Of course, I also considered lighter, smaller, with no possible SDM trouble package. Some users state that DA*300/4 is a bit sharper and has better CA control. The FA*300 only drawback for me is occasional focus hunting and noise. And I'm very pleased how my SDM DA*60-250 focuses (I assume the DA*300 focuses similarly). At the same time I was not satisfied with my 1.7x AFA experience. It was a very complex thinking and desision .
Regarding Vivitar 1.4x TC: you wouldn't be disappointed, I think. It worth every penny. I posted almost monochrome sample on purpose. The multicolor contrasty birds look even better.

10-23-2011, 10:58 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
1.7x AFA

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryH Quote
Welcome aboard Greyser. I need to post some from the DA*300 and AFA 1.7x. I really like that combo too. If I were starting over, I would probably get the FA instead of the DA lens.
Thank you, Gary. My experience with AFA is not so bright. At first I tried to galvanize a few of MF long telephoto primes: super Takumars 200/4 and 300/4 first and then Tamron Adaptall-2 400/4. When I added 1.7x AFA to the system it did not work well for me. I was OK with manual pre-focus, but found AF via 1.7x AFA inconsistent and even dependable from what side: infinity or short distance end the lens was pre-focused for AFA AF to kick in. I also tried to micro adjust the 400/4+1.7x AFA combo. I failed here due to inconsistencies of AF. Some of shots were actually good, but I always was able to get better shot focusing manually via Live View. I know that I'm the only one who has such a trouble with AFA. It's great piece of optics and most likely it's me not the AFA: my faulty (?) techniques, habits, demands, requirements, etc.
When I realized that I was not happy with AFA and DA*60-250 was too short for me I acquired FA*300/4.5. I tried it with both 1.4x Vivitar and 1.7x AFA. The Vivitar TC won here for me.
You said that, if you were starting over you would probably get FA*300 instead of DA*300. Why so?

Last edited by Greyser; 02-10-2012 at 09:41 PM.
10-23-2011, 04:11 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Well, I just bought a 400/4 and expect it to deliver this week. I'll have to try it out and see how it works for me. Brandrx says it is a good combo. I still wonder if your AFA has issues.
I will post some pics when I get around to it.
I like the better versatility with teleconverters that the FA 300 offers. It just dawned on me after your purchase and discovery of the Vivitar converter. You have more options with TC's that will autofocus more properly with the FA. I almost bought a fine FA300/4.5 a couple of weeks ago on Ebay but decided that since I already have the DA300, it would not be a good move. I really like the DA300 and it works great with the AFA1.7x. Then the Tamron 400/4 came up and I decided that would be worth a try. Not more of the same anyway. And I will be getting a little more reach than my Bigma offers and I hope better IQ.
10-23-2011, 05:11 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Tamron 400/4

Well, I just bought a 400/4 and expect it to deliver this week. I'll have to try it out and see how it works for me. Brandrx says it is a good combo. I still wonder if your AFA has issues.
I will post some pics when I get around to it.
I like the better versatility with teleconverters that the FA 300 offers. It just dawned on me after your purchase and discovery of the Vivitar converter. You have more options with TC's that will autofocus more properly with the FA. I almost bought a fine FA300/4.5 a couple of weeks ago on Ebay but decided that since I already have the DA300, it would not be a good move. I really like the DA300 and it works great with the AFA1.7x. Then the Tamron 400/4 came up and I decided that would be worth a try. Not more of the same anyway. And I will be getting a little more reach than my Bigma offers and I hope better IQ.
Well, MightyMike's shots back to the winter/spring of this year convinced me to try the 400/4+1.7x AFA combo. Actually, as I remeber, brandrx convinced Mike to buy it first. The lens is very good, but big and heavy. As I said, it did not fly for me as well as I expected. In general I'm OK with MF from time to time. But I was looking for lighter hand holdable relatively quickly focusing solution for my walks and hiking. Try to follow the butterfly in the air or BIF with it. BTW: the Tamron 400/4 has short focusing barrel throw, which is not considered a good thing in general. However, I found it's very handy for pre-focusing with AFA and when achieving semi manual focus (no AFA): focusing purely per camera's focus confirmation. It's quicker. MF per focus confirm wasn't always accurate though. Also the lens is great for focus trap shots (I call the technique: lazy fishing :-)). Again, my trouble with AFA most likely is my fault .
Good luck, and keep us posted, please.
Note: MightyMike never complained about the 400/4+1.7x AFA combo, but did not hold it for long. He replaced it recently with Sigma 500/4.5.
10-23-2011, 06:00 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I'll never be able to afford the Sigma 500. I thought this would be fun to try out. I plan on getting a gimbal head ffor it. Have no intention of handholding. I have other lenses for that. I thought this would be a good way to see if I am up to dealing with large lenses.

10-23-2011, 06:55 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'll never be able to afford the Sigma 500. I thought this would be fun to try out. I plan on getting a gimbal head ffor it. Have no intention of handholding. I have other lenses for that. I thought this would be a good way to see if I am up to dealing with large lenses.
Sure. The Tampon is not a monster at all comparing to the really big 500-600mm lenses. It looks huge because of the large hood. Before purchasing a gimbal head consider side kick first. It works great for me.
10-23-2011, 08:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Greyser Quote
Sure. The Tampon is not a monster at all comparing to the really big 500-600mm lenses.
I should hope not!

Sorry, the 4th grader in me couldn't resist. I've had auto-correct on my iPhone turn Tamron into Tampon on more than one occasion
10-23-2011, 09:52 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
My bad :-)

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
I should hope not!

Sorry, the 4th grader in me couldn't resist. I've had auto-correct on my iPhone turn Tamron into Tampon on more than one occasion
I never realized how funny it may sound . Good find. Sorry Tamron