Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2011, 02:54 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
which do you find easier?

After months of battling with reasoning, budget, finance controll (mrs ) and computer skills I still find myself running around in circles. Just want to know if I'm alone with this "problem"...

So, there are lenses I can put on camera, lift the VF to my eye and do click, click...I see exactly what I want to see. The results are good. But then there are lenses that I kept strugling with in terms of FOV but every time I review my shots taken with them, makes me want to bang my head against the wall for selling them.

So, what do you find esier:
Getting the perfect lens with fantastic rendering and adjust you "eye" to it's foacl length
Or
Getting the lens that you click on with immediately and try to coax that little extra out of it via PPing...and live with it

???

10-23-2011, 03:32 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Is FA*24 the lens you refer to?
Anyway there is no easy answer to this dilemma. A bit of both I guess for almost all the lens I had.
Notable exception is 24mm, which I find easy to previsialize.
10-23-2011, 05:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Both. They're not contradictory. This isn't a zero-sum game nor any binary either-or dichotomy. Some lenses, you stretch your eye. Some lenses, you stretch the lens. Some lenses, you do both, sometimes simultaneously. Take the perfect lens to its limits and beyond. Take the imperfect lens further than you thought possible. And don't think of your shots as finished products. I PP everything because there's always another adjustment that makes yet another unique picture. I don't see a scene as it is, but as the picture it could be. The horizon is infinite.
10-23-2011, 07:12 AM   #4
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I pp everything too, every single shot I mean, but if I pp 2 lenses in the same way, I still usually end up prefering the picture out of the one that I find harder to frame...

10-23-2011, 07:13 AM   #5
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
Is FA*24 the lens you refer to?
Anyway there is no easy answer to this dilemma. A bit of both I guess for almost all the lens I had.
Notable exception is 24mm, which I find easy to previsialize.
More DA*55. The FOV feels very natural to me but I'm still not 100% sure whether I like it's output or not. 24 is much safer, I like the FOV and love the output
10-23-2011, 09:32 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Maybe 24 has a larger result that can be cropped? I use longer, but from 50/55, typical 70/75/77/80/90. The Mamiya55/1.4 has been my favorite last few months
10-23-2011, 09:52 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
More DA*55. The FOV feels very natural to me but I'm still not 100% sure whether I like it's output or not.
I had a chance to try out the DA*55 and it would be on my shopping list, if I didn't have the FA*85 and DFA50 already. With these 2 I find DA*55 difficult to justify.
But I had no problem with DA*55 output. What is it you don't like about it?
10-23-2011, 11:00 AM   #8
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I guess the problem is that I just love output that FA series (most of it) has. My FA*24, 28-70 and FA100 have hues and tones that 55 simply doesn't match.
Yes, 55 looks better than other DA lenses I've tried and was better than my 2nd FA43 (MIJ black, late series) copy but I suspect my 1st copy (silver MIJ, first series) was giving nicer colours, and in direct comparison to FA*28-70 the hues diference is visible. It's not big, but it's there.
Now I'm walking home with my 3rd FA43 copy (got lucky: boxed silver MIJ, should be from first series too) and will see...
I gues something (boxed silver 43, boxed 55 still within warranty in UK or FA*28-70 in decent shape with oversized hood) will be on the market soon

10-23-2011, 11:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

to help prevent sellers remorse, review results before selling lenses?
10-25-2011, 03:40 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Just saw your ad for the 43, that didnt last long with you! Obviously not what your looking for then?
10-25-2011, 02:16 PM   #11
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That's 2nd one since I recently posted in FA ltd club. First I got myself late series black MIJ awhich lasted less than week and then silver first series MIJ, which I'm selling after few test shots. It's better then the black one but with the FA*28-70 and DA*55 I'm covered adequately for walk around lens and portrait lens too...