Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2007, 12:31 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Gus, I sacrificed a hackle plier (a fly tying tool) made from spring steel. I took it to work and ground it down as thin as I could on a drum sander. This left it with some very sharp edges and I was nervous using it. Before you posted your pictures I was going in in the wrong location, I was more toward 11 o'clock and I had to restrain myself because I just wasn't sure of the exact location and was afraid of damaging the camera mount. Once I knew exactly where the clip was I got more aggressive. I had 1/32 of an inch or less to work in. Also, once I knew where it was, if I got the light exactly right, I could kinda see the clip. At that point, it was coming off!
I've been testing taking some pictures of a fly and the focusing rail really comes in handy, I can get "inside" the fly, pretty cool.
It's getting late, we're working overtime and I'm exhausted. Tomorrow night I'll take some pictures of my "tool" and post them. After I posted my previous post I remembered a thread talking about the fix you mention. I'll look into that because I can envision knocking the camera off the mount the way it is now but I'm not sure it will work the way the mount on this bellows is set up, I'll post pictures of it also.

12-14-2007, 08:27 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Three cheeers for Igilligan! Hip Hip... Hooray! Beers all around! What a great ending to a scary story.
12-14-2007, 11:54 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Moral of the story: fit the M42 adapter to the camera body first, then screw in the lens/lens attachment to it and not the other way round.
12-14-2007, 09:38 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Moral of the story: fit the M42 adapter to the camera body first, then screw in the lens/lens attachment to it and not the other way round.
Amen Creampuff, if this story teaches one person this lesson, it will have been worth it.

Ok, first a couple pics of the offender:-), taken with my Vivitar Series 1 105/2.5.
Novoflex screwmount auto bellows with 60/4 Noflexar lens.

As far as I can tell so far, you loosen the three screws on this collar and adjust it to orient the camera's position.

The next three pictures taken with the bellows setup with a 12mm extension tube between the camera and bellows unit:-).
This picture with the bellows fully extended with the 12mm tube.

Kinda blurry but this is the tip of my homemade "tool".

The "tool"

Taken with the Vivitar looking through the bellows:-).

Basically I "worried" the damn thing off. It wasn't easy, I was just very lucky that the thing turned just enough to give me just enough room to get something up in there. I have a hacksaw but man, I'd paid $125 for the unit and I sure didn't want to destroy it. But I would have before I took it to some repair place and paid more money to give those guys a funny story to sit around and laugh about, lol.

12-14-2007, 09:56 PM   #20
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
another way to mount bellows

I used this method to mount my bellows and it's a snap to get on and off. No modifying and it locks on exactly the same way as the normal K mount lens would and these cost under $10.00 on Ebay. As you saw from the other thread we were both discussing I also use a modified T mount which is K mount on one end and M42 on the other end. This adapter allows more space from the flash housing. Both work fine and the slot you see on the right side of the adapter (left pic) fits the Pentax locking pin perfectly.
Attached Images

12-15-2007, 05:50 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just bought that adapter Peter. The only worrisome thing about it will be the fact that I will have to break Creampuff's rule to use it:-).
12-15-2007, 07:07 AM   #22
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Creampuff is right when mounting a lens to the body but the only trouble here is that the bellows is too big and won't allow you to turn it and clear the flash housing. So this adapter should work nicely and be easy (no more scary days) to use.

BTW, thanks for your earlier comments on that other thread. He was a bit on the rude side...
12-15-2007, 09:00 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I had been watching this thread with bated breath because I had anticipated the problem with my PTX screw-mount bellows and attached it with a spring-less adapter. I had no advice beyond the method which finally worked for you. My compliments!

I also never thought of Zack's method wich really makes more sense, and I even have one of those adapters I got on a lens I bought.

Good job, guys!

12-15-2007, 05:59 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I had read Peter's reply in that other thread before I did what I did but I guess I forgot all that important stuff when I got the bellows in hand. My excitement of using it got the best of me....right up till the moment that clip snapped in. I mean the instant it clicked my life flashed before my eyes. I knew what I'd done.
God, what a terrible feeling. An insidious trap, that one. Especially for someone like me who stumbles through life with an IQ of about 12.
12-15-2007, 08:30 PM   #25
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
God, what a terrible feeling. An insidious trap, that one. Especially for someone like me who stumbles through life with an IQ of about 12.
(spoken with a thick east coast accent) Ah me son! Speaking of stumbles and making mistakes. Did I tell you about the summer job I took as a teenager cleaning septic systems. On the very first job, I just had to get close to the edge and look inside after they lifted the lid....

We all do things without thinking once in awhile.
12-20-2007, 11:29 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The adapter arrived this evening Peter and works great:-). Thanks for the heads up!
12-21-2007, 05:20 AM   #27
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Cool! Now we'll have to wait for some bugs and flowers to come out from under the snow. Maybe some still life shots on the kitchen table? Looking forward to seeing some stuff from that bellows. Looks like a nice unit.