Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2007, 08:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Oh my...

I had one of those moments tonight where at the exact moment you do something, you know you've screwed up, bad, and man did I screw up, bad.
I got my Novoflex screw mount bellows in the mail this evening. Yippeee, let's try it out! I've gotten in the habit of screwing the adapter onto a lens first and then clicking it into the camera, so I screws the adapter onto the bellows and click it onto the camera. Just as she clicks into place my heart sank. How in the world am I gonna get this thing off, it won't screw off because the contraption hits on the flash overhang thingy on the camera.
Looks like I'm gonna be doing a lot of bellows shooting if I can't figure a way to get this thing off. It will loosen just enough to be able to slide something very thin between the mounts. I've spent all evening so far trying to get something in there and engaging the little clip to where I could loosen the bayonet part. I haven't broken anything.........yet.
Stay calm, breathe in, stay calm, exhale...........................no Jim, I know it will work but don't get the hammer......

12-11-2007, 09:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Lots of luck with it
12-11-2007, 09:23 PM   #3
Igilligan

Oh brother, good luck with fishing something in there to click that spring. Is there enough space to take a needle or some other thin metal and bend the tip with a pair of needle nose at a 90 degree angle. slide it in and turn it where the clip is and pull? Or some other thin strong metal...
I am grasping I know...

Good luck...
12-11-2007, 09:32 PM   #4
Inactive Account

OH NO, OMG, wish you the best of luck, One of our local club members did this also. He did get the mount off. Wish I could ask him but he passed two years ago. Hopefully one of our group members will have some memory of how he did. Our holiday party is this weekend and I will ask.

Wendy

12-11-2007, 09:56 PM   #5
Pentaxian

if its a matter of getting something thin to slip between the mounts to release a catch or pin, you could try a set of automotive feeler gauges, the old type used to set points, valve clearance, spark plug gaps, etc. wish you luck
12-11-2007, 11:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions guys, still working........
12-12-2007, 08:20 AM   #7

That sucks...

If it helps you probably saved me from the same problem. I just bought a Pentax bellows and would have done the same thing. I'll be using an extension tube between the camera and the bellows I guess.

You might want to try a dental pick if you can find a medical supply store or hardware store that seels that kind of thing. They can be pretty small. I just bought a set from a hardware store, used one to get at the focus screen to clean it.

Slick
12-12-2007, 10:56 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Best of luck, but another K10D body with rebate may be an option...

12-13-2007, 06:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I had this happen but my bellows were M42 and the istD obviously is K-mount.
At the back of the bellows there is the screw which allows the bellows to be rotated right?

I would tighten, rotate, untighten, rotate, retighten, rotate, tighten, rotate, untighten, rotate, retighten, rotate, etc.

Don't know whether I explained correctly but in any case, good luck because that flash-overhang is a PITRA.
12-13-2007, 06:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If only mine worked that way JC. There is a collar with three screws around the circumference. This collar can be rotated to set the point where the camera tightens up, whether in the portrait or landscape orientation, but it bottoms out. As far as I can tell the screw part of the male end is fixed in the bellows. If only it could be screwed off the bellows itself.
I'm afraid I've proven myself a dumbass, again. It really is kinda funny.
I ordered another Pentax bayonet to screw mount adapter last weekend but it must be on a slow train somewhere, it's still not here. When I get it I will be able to put it in one of my old film cameras and see exactly where the little clip sits when the adapter is mounted and try to rig something to slip in and release it and rotate the adapter. I've been trying but no success yet. There is not much room to get in but I believe it's doable.
12-13-2007, 07:18 PM   #11
Igilligan

Here is a pic of where the spring is...

My M42 to K spring is just above the Orange lens alignment mark, in fact the edge of thee slot is right at the mark. If you move up from the mark toward top of the camera just a fraction of an inch that is where the spring is... here is a badly focused pic to attempt to show you.
This is a K100 but the adaptors must mount the same. Right?
Will this help at all.... If you can get something in there you just push toward the center and turn the bellows I think that would work...

Attachment 6663

Last edited by Igilligan; 03-16-2008 at 11:14 PM.
12-13-2007, 07:32 PM   #12
Site Supporter

What part of the bellows hits the prism? Is it the focusing rail or something else? If its the rail there must be a way to take it off the uprights. Can you take the lens off the front of the bellows, compact the bellows fully and enter a tool through the bellows lens mount to reach the bayonet release. Maybe use a dental pic. Hope you get it figured out.
thanks
barondla
12-13-2007, 10:38 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Igilligan, I owe you a beer, big time, thank you for taking the time to post those photos:-). And thanks to all of you for your suggestions, there were a couple of times I was even contemplating yours SpecialK, except I don't give up that easy.
I hope this does help others Slick because I now have a camera mount with some scratches on it, everything else seems ok but I haven't done much testing yet. I've blown out the interior of the camera throughly, I hope.
This was very scary, it's been bugging the heck out of me for the past couple of days while it was stuck.
I took the little catch out of the adapter so I'll have to be very careful using this setup or put it back and use an extension tube like Slick's method. I'll do some testing with and without the tube before I decide whether to put the catch back in or not.
I'm wondering whether or not it was a wise decision to get a screw mount bellows or not. Right now I'm thinking it was a mistake but it's mine now and I'll have to live with it, good or bad.
Again, thanks to all who offered suggestions to help me through this.
Igilligan, I owe you one man, I appreciate it.
12-13-2007, 11:11 PM   #14
Igilligan

Glad it helped... It would have driven me crazy. I wish I would have thought of taking the pics sooner.
What did you finally use to get in there and move the spring?

I am very happy for you, and will take you up on that beer someday...
-gus-
12-13-2007, 11:49 PM   #15
Igilligan

Hey I have another question for you eaglerapids... There are threads about taking the clip out of an 42/K adaptors and drilling a small hole in the old lenses to allow the locking pin on the camera to actually lock the lens on. What does the rear of the bellows unit look like? Do you have a photo of it?
Maybe you could do a variation on the same thing. Use an adaptor that does not have the locking clip but lock the bellows on with the cameras locking pin. When you are ready to take it off you just push down the button like you do with any K mount.