Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2007, 09:17 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Any one heard of a Magnicon MC 28-70 1:3.5-4.5 ?

Hi all,

I picked up a very nice package over the weekend at an estate sale for $20 ( beaming with smiles over the set). Included with the set of lens's was a Magnicon MC 28-70 1:3.5-4.5.

Having never seen one before and doing a Google. There is very little to be found about this lens. Curiosity has me. any help would be most wonderful.

Sincerely,

Wendy

PS, the reason I am beaming is the lens set included three pristine F-SMC lens's and one FA.
The F's a F 50 1.7, F 70-210 4.0-5.6, and one I wanted for all of my life but could never afford or find when able to, an F 300 4.5 plus a nice paperweight FA 35-80. An SF10, multiple filters, flash, all in a shabby old large camera bag which was pristine inside, well protected almost like a hard shell case outfit would be kept.

My thoughts are this estate was on the east-side of Detroit and the owner of the equipment camouflaged its value for protection so it would not be stolen.

In retrospect when I saw one buyer grab the tripod for 5 dollars and it was worth at least a 100 I was pissed but it gave the opportunity to the old camera bag. Opened it for a few seconds, saw it was nice inside, dug, a bit saw the 50 1.7, closed it up and went directly to pay my 20 dollars.

Still pissed about the tripod.

Last edited by WendyB; 12-11-2007 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Additional information
12-11-2007, 10:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's pretty awesome.

I think that is probably the same as the Promaster 28-70 I got with my ZX-M about 10 years ago. It's a perfectly good lens in my experience, and I used it happily for a long time. I used it on my K100D for about two months before the LBA bug bit me, but it hasn't seen use since.
12-11-2007, 11:09 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Quote
That's pretty awesome.

I think that is probably the same as the Promaster 28-70 I got with my ZX-M about 10 years ago. It's a perfectly good lens in my experience, and I used it happily for a long time. I used it on my K100D for about two months before the LBA bug bit me, but it hasn't seen use since.
Thank you, it looks like a re branded, no worries.

After posting this while going through the bottom of this camera bag I just found two pancake's one M 40 1:2.8 and can not identify the other as of this moment.

Wendy
12-12-2007, 04:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You know you found upwards of $1000 worth of lenses there?!

12-12-2007, 04:48 AM   #5
Inactive Account

That was a lucky find. I wouldn’t be annoyed with the tripod…looks like you got the better of the deals by far.

The Magnicon brand was a re-brand for a Canadian Photography store chain called Blacks Photography. They still exist, but not sure if they still sell their Magnicon brand.

I also have three Magnicon lenses when I bought my SF10 back in the late 80s. I was very disappointed in my 70-210 Magnicon, as it purple fringed something awful on my K10D.

Now as for who made them, it probably was either Tokina or Tamron, or both depending on who was willing to rebrand their lenses for probably a lower price at that time.
12-12-2007, 07:30 AM   #6
roy
Inactive Account

wendy,
was the 300/4.5 a * lens?????????????
12-12-2007, 07:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roy Quote
wendy,
I think it has to be, doesn't it?

Hey WendyB, I'll pay you double...$40. Deal?
12-13-2007, 12:20 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roy Quote
wendy,
Hi, sorry for not being more specific on the lens,

SMC Pentax-F* 300mm F4.5
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=132681

Absolute pristine if the original box and packing materials were available. One could not tell if this lens had ever been used. Having handled one many years ago when they were on the market when I was young very poor and just could not afford. As time passed I constantly was on the look for this lens but could never find one. I gave up my search and moved forward many years ago.

Quite honestly I rushed home after buying at the sale. When unpacking this bag my heart hit the floor while pulling this lens out. I was sitting at the dining room table with tears rolling like a waterfall.

The photographer who passed on and left this equipment to his family, whom must have had no clue of his value nor his work had three 32 gallon garbage cans filled with his negatives and prints. All the Family was interested in was clearing the property for closing out the estate.

My husband and I went back this evening and expressed the situation to the family that was in process of cleaning the property for sale.

The one son that was handling things quote unquote said " We really do not care , he is gone, he never saw us, he was always out in nature with his birds, so who cares? If you want his work take it"

I do care, we grabbed the three 32 gallon garbage cans of his work and carefully threw them in the mini van.

My penance, for this 20 dollar gift of a lifetime, archive and capture his memory and work.

Just from glancing at the negatives on the light table, this photographer was very,very special.

Wendy

Last edited by WendyB; 12-13-2007 at 01:01 AM.
12-13-2007, 04:07 AM   #9
Inactive Account

That is a sad story in a way. At least the gear will be put to good use to someone who will appreciate it.
12-16-2007, 11:09 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Chako Quote
That is a sad story in a way. At least the gear will be put to good use to someone who will appreciate it.
The members of our local camera club very excitedly spent most of the weekend scanning part of this photographers work.

I wish I could ever have or acquire the talent that this gentleman had to capture birds in flight simply breathtaking.

Wendy
12-17-2007, 04:18 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Still very sad. It did come at a steep cost for the photographer, as his family never saw him much.
12-18-2007, 06:44 PM   #12

Such a sad and fascinating story. You are one lucky person to have found such a bargain, and it also sounds as though you are one lucky person to have stumbled upon (and saved) the remnants of one man's life and passion. It is a shame that his family did not understand and a shame that they never connected with it.

Do you have any plans on putting this man's work online at all? Perhaps a few examples? I know that there are a lot of people who would like to see some of his photographic legacy.
12-27-2007, 01:01 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnM Quote
Such a sad and fascinating story. You are one lucky person to have found such a bargain, and it also sounds as though you are one lucky person to have stumbled upon (and saved) the remnants of one man's life and passion. It is a shame that his family did not understand and a shame that they never connected with it.

Do you have any plans on putting this man's work online at all? Perhaps a few examples? I know that there are a lot of people who would like to see some of his photographic legacy.
Sorry for the delay in reply,

Family and the holiday take priority.

Within this gentleman's work we found several check stubs in reflection of payment for his photographic work. In example the NGS, and a few other publications. I was in respect that his work may be copyrighted.

Personally I noticed and held his work in my care.

Christmas Eve, his son arrived at our front door (having left their family our contact information). At the time I was busy with my family and the celebration of the holiday.

We spent a few moments in conversation and agreed to meet the day after Christmas.

We met today, his son had been in Europe and upon arriving home and discovery of the situation arrived with no haste at our doorstep. In fear all of his fathers work was lost and in desperate hope that it was still in our care.

His father was published and his work has been returned to a family member whom properly understands the situation.

I offered return of the the equipment,

In tears his son replied,

"My father would be honored that his stuff is in good hands"

So , life goes on with , Integrity.

Wendy
03-26-2011, 10:34 AM   #14

If you think the lens was 'hidden" in the bag tp avoid theft because the family didn't want it stolen, tells me the family knew its worth. So t would make sense 'they did care' about the $ value of the estate.h
Hence which part of reclosing a camera bag, finding the 'hidden' lens, resealing bag leaving said lens in the bottom (unless you were also hiding it for fear of theft or robbery while at the auction?) and dropping 20 and hitting the road does 'integrity' fall under, seems to me its one of those old heres the money, and if they happen to open bag you can looked shocked it was in there, they don't you get good deal
So
03-26-2011, 10:53 AM   #15
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by brigar6 Quote
If you think the lens was 'hidden" in the bag tp avoid theft because the family didn't want it stolen, tells me the family knew its worth. So t would make sense 'they did care' about the $ value of the estate.h
Hence which part of reclosing a camera bag, finding the 'hidden' lens, resealing bag leaving said lens in the bottom (unless you were also hiding it for fear of theft or robbery while at the auction?) and dropping 20 and hitting the road does 'integrity' fall under, seems to me its one of those old heres the money, and if they happen to open bag you can looked shocked it was in there, they don't you get good deal
So
Real good start for a new forum member. You make your first post a challenge to another member's integrity,
and dredge up a thread that is more than three years old to do it. :EYES:

Last edited by Parallax; 03-28-2011 at 08:30 AM.
Closed Thread