Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2011, 07:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Help Me Figure Out My Kit

Ok, so the more I think about it, the more I realize I am building the beginning of my fast glass kit and what lens I choose next will sort of decide how I build my final kit. I'm not sure if I want to go with a DA* set of (maybe 10-20), 16-50, 50-135, 200/300, 1.4x TC kit, or a (mostly) FA* set of 12-24, 28-70, 80-200, 1.4x TC kit. I know I prefer to stick to Pentax glass, they have a lot of good offerings, and if you aren't here for the glass, why stay with Pentax?

Pros of the DA*
weather sealed
silent
lighter
less expensive individually
no need for uv filters because of SP coating

Cons:
lack full frame
slightly slower AF
not as wide as the FA* kit (I feel like a 12-24 would be redundant, but maybe the 10-20 would be ok here...)

Pros of FA*:
optically outstanding
fast AF
FF for future-proof flexibility
appreciating in value
less expensive in terms of the whole kit

Cons:
lack WR (which matters in Florida)
no quiet AF
are big and heavy

I really really want high resolution on the wide end and I hate taking landscapes or group shots and finding massive purple fringing/ghosting at points of high contrast like I currently do. I need 2.8 through the main range, but could probably deal with f/4 to get a little more reach on the 300mm, I do want 2.8 from 50-135 though, I feel like the 60-250 would be too slow. Ultimately, my focal length usages lean towards the FA* setup, but I really wish they were WR, SDM, and lighter (to be an idealist (: ). I do events where SDM would be nice, perhaps the FA* aren't as bad as I'm imagining (I have a $100 Tamron 75-300 that draws stares when it focuses at the moment)? I will admit I don't know a lot about the FA* line, but would love more knowledge. Anyway, what would be your recommendation for me?

Note: I know the Ltds are great, and I plan to pick up the FA 31, and 77 (maybe the 43 just to round it out), but this is more for event and paid work where I like the flexibility of the zooms. Also, all of this would be acquired over a few years, though I wish I could grab them all now lol. Also, I love creamy bokeh, though that doesn't seem to be terribly different between these two series.

10-24-2011, 01:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A little bump...

I'm really just looking for opinions and ideas on potential kits...
10-24-2011, 03:08 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello

If I was building my basic kit today from scratch, I would be needing just two lenses (and this is where, I’m going out your “Pentax” road):

1 - Tamron 28-75 2.8
2 - Tamron 70-200 2.8

Then I would, in time, and if really… really need it… go with other lenses…

Best regards,