10-24-2011, 07:39 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looking at all macro options

Hi,

I have a
* Sigma 30mm f1.4
* Tamron 17-50mm f2.8
* sports lens (out of the equation).

Currently I'm think it'd be for general macro, not insects & floral (even though I might end up getting into that when I have the 'solution')
some questions:
1. Extension tubes. I have to focus manually but everything else works as 'normal' (auto exposure etc)?
Can anyone recommend an extension tube, I bought a stupidly cheap one and it was total crap.
2. Reversing ring- will it work on either of my lenses or do I need a 'manual lens'? If so why?
3. Thoughts on Raynox DCR-250/150 with either of my lenses?
4. I suppose a manual focus lens is maybe the best solution wihin my budget...
5. no such thing as a stupid question but where in lenses specs/name does it say how true macro it is
e.g. SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL says max magnification 0.17x
Maximum Magnification (MM) 0.22x?)
and what does 'Maximum Reproduction Ratio' mean?
6. anything else to note?

cheers,
Pa.

10-24-2011, 07:55 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Why not get a DFA 100? I have extension tubes and a reversing ring, but the DFA 100 get's all the use.
10-24-2011, 08:13 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/152336-cheap-macro-b...lose-work.html
10-24-2011, 08:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dinneenp Quote
Can anyone recommend an extension tube, I bought a stupidly cheap one and it was total crap.
Ant "A" type extension tubes (PKA) so you can use the lens normally when tubed.

Reversing ring- will it work on either of my lenses or do I need a 'manual lens'? If so why?
Practically any lens will work with a reverse ring.

Thoughts on Raynox DCR-250/150 with either of my lenses?
I have heard that these work well, someone else will chime in on this...

I suppose a manual focus lens is maybe the best solution wihin my budget...
What is your budget?

no such thing as a stupid question but where in lenses specs/name does it say how true macro it is
If it is a true macro lens, you will more than likely see the ratio in the specs - anything from 1:2.5 and higher can be looked at as true macro. That is not to say that if it does not show the ratio in the specs it is not a macro, my experience just tells me that most true macros show this in the specs. Keep in mind there are lenses out there that are not labeled as macro but you can get macro results with them, the DA 10~17 is one of them...

--

10-24-2011, 08:33 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Whether extension tubes or a reversing ring will work depends on whether your lens have an aperture ring (so you can set the aperture on the camera). Extension tube that allow one to set the aperture of the lens from the camera are hard to find for Pentax mount and when found can be quite expensive.

All current "true" macro lenses nowadays tend to have 1:1 magnification, which means they focus all the way to the size of the sensor. Most of the newer AF macro lenses are 1:1. Many of the older manual focus macros are only 1:2.

Whether MF or AF, you pay more for 1:1. I haven't been following the prices recently, but a year ago, MF 1:1 macros in the 100mm focal range were generally +$300. MF 1:2 were +$100. Comparable 50mm macros tend to be less than the 100s.

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Why not get a DFA 100? I have extension tubes and a reversing ring, but the DFA 100 get's all the use.
A great but rather expensive choice (+$600). A more economical choice might be the Tamron 90 (~$400).
10-24-2011, 09:19 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@ncg - good idea on the Tamron 90!
10-24-2011, 10:01 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Also, check out the Sigma 70mm macro and our review of the DFA 100:
Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 WR Macro - Review

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-24-2011, 10:27 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi,

I have a
* Sigma 30mm f1.4
* Tamron 17-50mm f2.8
* sports lens (out of the equation).

Currently I'm think it'd be for general macro, not insects & floral (even though I might end up getting into that when I have the 'solution')
some questions:
1. Extension tubes. I have to focus manually but everything else works as 'normal' (auto exposure etc)?
these can be a pain because ones that have the contacts for A setting are quite rare
QuoteQuote:
i use vivitar ones with aperature activation but no A contacts, they need the paint taken off the mount to let the K7/K5 shutter fire
QuoteQuote:
2. Reversing ring- will it work on either of my lenses or do I need a 'manual lens'? If so why?
i would suggest that you get a macro focusing rail (you will needd it for extension tubes also) as the focus range is quite small
QuoteQuote:
3. Thoughts on Raynox DCR-250/150 with either of my lenses?
they are not bad but really similar in perfromance to extension tubes, they work by shortening the focal length of your lens and as it is extended for thenative focal length it permits a range of close focus, due to shortening the focal length the F number actually goes down, i.e. faster, therefore you keep a bright viewfinder
QuoteQuote:
4. I suppose a manual focus lens is maybe the best solution wihin my budget...
look at the SMC-M 100/4 macro, lots around and give continuous focus from infinity to 1:2 magnification
QuoteQuote:
5. no such thing as a stupid question but where in lenses specs/name does it say how true macro it is
e.g. SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL says max magnification 0.17x
Maximum Magnification (MM) 0.22x?)
and what does 'Maximum Reproduction Ratio' mean?
this means it gives 0.17x life size, which is not a lot, it is about 1:6 where 1:1 is true macro. really it is a marketing gimick, look for lenses that clearly state the macro in a ration 1:3 or something like that
QuoteQuote:

cheers,
Pa.
Nope
10-24-2011, 10:32 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
For general macro work, I like my m50 f1.7 with a reversing ring. When I want some extreme detail, I add my cheap extension tubes off of eBay. My understanding is you NEED a lens that has an aperture ring... if you want control of the aperture. I find the viewfinder to me so dark that I always have to frame the shot wide open then stop down to the proper level.

The 50mm is too short if you want to do live bugs. I have my eye on an old 200mm Minolta lens I can reverse.
10-24-2011, 11:22 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Haha, yes, PROBABLY ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT - lighting which is not talked about enough when someone ask's about macro lenses, and honestly your lighting is JUST AS IMPORTANT as your lens, It doesn't matter if you have a $4,500 rollei macro lens if your lighting is not there your results will be just average 99.5% of the time.

--
10-24-2011, 11:50 AM   #11

Original Poster
Budget about €150/$190 or thereabouts.
10-24-2011, 11:52 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
The Raynox 150 is best on a long focal length lens (2-300mm); what is the "sports lens" you excluded?

A benefit of the Raynox is all your automatic functions work.
10-24-2011, 12:32 PM   #13

Photos: Gallery
Enlarging lenses (yess more than one for your budget) on M42 Tubes. Off camera flash.

https://sites.google.com/site/inexpensivemacrophotography/
10-24-2011, 12:58 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
The Raynox 150 is best on a long focal length lens (2-300mm); what is the "sports lens" you excluded?

A benefit of the Raynox is all your automatic functions work.
Sigma 70-200 f2.8 lens so it's fairly massive with very wide circumference.
10-24-2011, 02:13 PM   #15
Veteran Member

$190 surprisingly can take you REALLY FAR!

Here are just a few options:
Really Cheap Setups (Add A Good Manual Flash Like The YN-560 For About $65 More To The Following)
- $150 give or take a few bucks | PK Extension Tubes, Pentax-M 100mm Macro <- (Lowell mentioned these two things earlier - using the tubes you will get better than 1:2)
- $70 give or take a few bucks | PK Extension Tubes, Pentax-M 50mm (1.7, 2.0, etc)

Really, with the PK extension tubes, you can use any GOOD manual lens (K-Mount) and get great results - the above two is a good start for cheap.

It doesn't stop there though, $180 can buy you many M42 mount lenses, an m42-Kmount adapter and a set of cheap m42 extension tubes and you will be set.

Now, for the sleepers (this is where it gets good ) Say Whhhaaaaaaattttttttttt! Macro With An Older MF Zoom! For Real?
The brand with many many MANY sleepers is Vivitar. You can find many GREAT lenses for macro work from Vivitar, and rest assured that any of the Macro Labeled (Series One) Vivitar Lenses From KIRON or KOMINE will give you macro results that rival any of today's lenses. The 70~210 version 1 (Kiron 3.5 CA 1:2) and version 3 (Komine 2.8~4 1:2.5) are pretty remarkable when used properly, when using with extension tubes, really phenomenal! The Komine made 28~90 2.8 is also a great one, the great thing with this one is the ability to get macro results throughout its focal range. Another GREAT Vivitar Zoom Macro (and the biggest sleeper of them all) is the Cosina Made (The Good Cosina, Not The Bad ) 28~105 2.8 1:2.5, what an incredible manual focus zoom macro lens this thing is, it produces outstanding results. Oh, BTW, speaking of Vivitar/Kiron, it's worth noting the 105 2.5 (2.8 for Kiron), makes most macro lenses of today look like kids toys.

---