Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2007, 10:43 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
They are available now here...
Pentax smc P-DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 ED AL(IF) Lens Part Number 21697 @ samys.com
I originally wanted the Pentax, but was on back order for ever and when it became available last week, I no longer wanted it as I have my Tamron...I also have no regrets...I do not see how the Pentax will give better results...Perhaps the pros can tell, but not me.

12-13-2007, 11:15 PM   #17
Forum Member

I ordered the Pentax variant from 17th Street Photo.
12-14-2007, 06:01 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
They are not the same lens and I'm not sure where everyone got this awful rumor from. The lens design, implementation, glass and coatings are all Pentax in the the Pentax version while only the lens barrel is from Tamron and that is a statement from a Tamron representative, a Pentax representative and also from looking at the Pentax lens specifics because it has an extra ED and AL element over the Tamron.
Chris,

Then explain to me why the Pentax is marked "Made in Japan". Pentax has no manufacturing facilities there. Jim King pointed out when he compared the color cast from the lens to other lenses it has the same cast as his other Tamron lenses, not his Pentax lenses.

Regards,

Ken
12-14-2007, 08:10 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Perhaps because the "barrel" is made there???

12-14-2007, 08:14 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
They are available now here...
Pentax smc P-DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 ED AL(IF) Lens Part Number 21697 @ samys.com
I originally wanted the Pentax, but was on back order for ever and when it became available last week, I no longer wanted it as I have my Tamron...I also have no regrets...I do not see how the Pentax will give better results...Perhaps the pros can tell, but not me.
Thanks for the link. I only deal with Adorama so I'm sure it will be showing up there soon. I'm not sure anyone at this point can give you a definitive answer on whether or not the new Pentax is an improvement upon the Tamron. It's still so new out of the gate. However, from what Chris has said, there is enough difference to warrant my waiting. Like I said, I'm in no hurry to acquire this latest piece of glass. When it's ready, it's ready and that's fine with me. And hey... if you're happy with the Tammy; GREAT! That's what it's all about anyway: contentment with our equipment.

All the best.
12-15-2007, 09:01 AM   #21
Site Supporter

It seems pretty clear that these two lenses are similar and I have little doubt that Tamron toll manufactures the Pentax-branded version. Such an arrangement, common in manufacturing, certainly doesn't preclude substantive differences in componentry (coatings, glass formulation, etc) between the two lenses; an automotive example - my daughter's Ford Focus has a Mazda engine and tranny but is made in the same plant as models with Ford drive trains.

Of course, the important issue is not the name on the barrel, but whether these lenses offer good performance for the money. I'll be trying the Pentax version when my wife hands it to me on Christmas morning.

Jer
12-15-2007, 11:37 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Hi Jer

When you said:

QuoteQuote:
I'll be trying the Pentax version when my wife hands it to me on Christmas morning.
The questions you need to ask yourself are:

Can you possibly STAND the suspense any longer and perhaps more to the point, have you discovered where she's currently hiding it ?

Best regards
Love & xxxxxxx's

The Petulant Pentax Pixies
12-15-2007, 11:39 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
One thing that I have learned, is that is it hit or miss with lenses no matter who manufactures them...I have had both good and bad copies of pentax, sigma and tamron...My guess is that we will be reading of happy tamron 18-250mm owners and unhappy ones just as we will read of the pentax 18-250mm....

12-15-2007, 02:24 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Well I just got the Pentax 18-250 as a gift. I was not expecting to have one literally given to me. Hopefully tomorrow I can take it out for a spin.

Anyhow, the local photo store had the Pentax and a Tamron for a Nikon mount. After looking at them very closely, they both look and feel the same right down to the lens lock on the barrel. I am sure that these two lenses are identical other then cosmetics and lens coatings. The Tamron has been out a little longer then the Pentax version, and from what I can see, the lens formula for both are identical. But then again, what do I know.

What I do know is that I was just given one. Yipee! Can't wait to try it out.

Last edited by Chako; 12-15-2007 at 02:40 PM.
12-15-2007, 03:06 PM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Chako Quote
Well I just got the Pentax 18-250 as a gift. I was not expecting to have one literally given to me. Hopefully tomorrow I can take it out for a spin.

What I do know is that I was just given one. Yipee! Can't wait to try it out.
You know what they say: "Don't look a gift lens in the mount". Congrats.

Post some shots when you can; my copy is out of bounds until Christmas.

Jer
12-16-2007, 08:27 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Well, I ordered...

the Pentax "version" this evening. I paid a little more at B&H, but I have had nothing but great experiences with those folks up in New York. If I ever get back to that city, I'll have to stop in and see the real thing. Please enjoy your holidays with your family, your cameras and new lenses! Thanx to all for the good (read civil) discussion.
12-18-2007, 08:27 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Any chance we can see some side by side comparison shots?