Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2007, 09:01 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
18-250 Pentax v Tamron

I'm looking to minimize lenses in my bag. For newspaper/magazine work would the Tamron 18-250 Di LD Aspherical lens or SMCP-DA Pentax 18-250 ED AL (IF) lens be the better? They are both $499.00. The Tamron isn't internal focus from what I can discover (probably heavier?). I lean to the Pentax, but frankly for name's sake and support. Also, the Pentax would be of no use on my film bodies; although that isn't a big problem because I have a few primes. Thanks ahead of time.

Oh and...Either could relieve my bag of three lenses and probably put them up for sale.

Last edited by mysterick; 12-13-2007 at 06:42 PM.
12-12-2007, 09:09 AM   #2
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by mysterick Quote
I'm looking to minimize lenes in my bag. For newspaper/magazine work would the Tamron 18-250 Di LD Aspherical lens or SMCP-DA Pentax 18-250 ED AL (IF) lens be the better? They are both $499.00. The Tamron isn't internal focus from what I can discover (probably heavier?). I lean to the Pentax, but frankly for name's sake and support. Also, the Pentax would be of no use on my film bodies; although that isn't a big problem because I have a few primes. Thanks ahead of time.

Oh and...Either could relieve my bag of three lenses and probably put them up for sale.
Pentax and Tamron is the same lens. The tamron has 6 years warranty and the pentax a green line in the barrel. I think that this information worth 100 USD discount in your next 85 f1.8 sale (I am sorry, I couldnt help myself to look in your equipment). Hope it helps
12-12-2007, 09:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
Pentax and Tamron is the same lens. The tamron has 6 years warranty and the pentax a green line in the barrel. I think that this information worth 100 USD discount in your next 85 f1.8 sale (I am sorry, I couldnt help myself to look in your equipment). Hope it helps
They are not the same lens and I'm not sure where everyone got this awful rumor from. The lens design, implementation, glass and coatings are all Pentax in the the Pentax version while only the lens barrel is from Tamron and that is a statement from a Tamron representative, a Pentax representative and also from looking at the Pentax lens specifics because it has an extra ED and AL element over the Tamron.
12-12-2007, 09:58 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
They are not the same lens and I'm not sure where everyone got this awful rumor from. The lens design, implementation, glass and coatings are all Pentax in the the Pentax version while only the lens barrel is from Tamron and that is a statement from a Tamron representative, a Pentax representative and also from looking at the Pentax lens specifics because it has an extra ED and AL element over the Tamron.
Not to mention the SMC coating which is a lot more than just marketing hype. Borrow both and take a picture into the sun. SMC will give you a different image.

12-12-2007, 12:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

If the Tamron & Pentax are completely different, which to be honest I'm not convinced about, I would go with the "tried & tested" Tamron version which has many good reviews & many excellent user reports - the Pentax version so far has very little to support its abilities. Also the far superior warranty might well be worthwhile

simon
12-12-2007, 12:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
I think that this information worth 100 USD discount in your next 85 f1.8 sale (I am sorry, I couldnt help myself to look in your equipment). Hope it helps
Sorry, that lens won't be available for a few (hopefully) years! It is a beauty.
12-12-2007, 12:28 PM   #7
Not Registered

So they do all the job and let Tamron do the barrel..... I will apologize in advance but this is the poorest excuse to try to sell some extra lenses that have listened in a long time. And if it is the truth then is one of the dumbest company strategies that I can imagine. I am sure that with the Pontiac Vibe happened the same, they let Toyota do the chasis but all the engine and design that looks identical to the Toyota model are different and completely designed and implemented by Pontiac and I know that cos a Toyota representative, a Pontiac dealer, a Tamron CEO, a Hoya developer and Santa Claus told me.

The SMC coating is another story and it might be the only difference besides the green line and the label saying pentax

But this is just an opinion.

12-12-2007, 12:37 PM   #8
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by mysterick Quote
Sorry, that lens won't be available for a few (hopefully) years! It is a beauty.
I was affraid that this was going to be the answer... I have to try it
12-12-2007, 02:57 PM   #9

Hmmm... I've searched for optical shemes of both lenses... Here it goes...
Pentax:

Tamron:

Well... Looks identically for me. Yes, probably Pentax one has special SMC coating, but hey, Tamron has it's own coating, and Tamron is not an amateur company which does not know what ot do.
12-12-2007, 09:18 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I got the Tamron today, and so far I really like it, I went for the 6 year warranty too or I would have got the Pentax. I got it for $454.99 to my door also, in 5 days,, ordered it last Friday.
I only shot about 50 shots today but the IQ was great, I'm so happy I won't have to swap lenses when I go to the Blues Festivals this coming year.
It is a little heavier but I'll get used to it.
12-12-2007, 10:35 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I have the Tamron version of this lens and it is very good on both ends...I do not see how it can be better for what it is....an 18-250mm zoom that is as sharp as a needle...

I could not say the same for the Tamron 28-300mm that is a good paper weight.
12-13-2007, 07:41 AM   #12
Inactive Account

18-250 Pentax v Tamron

I bought the Tamron in October and all my shots have been razor sharp. However, I keep to MTF sweet spot of f 6.7 (below 70mm) or 8.0 above. Neither will be the fastest lens around, but for travel, it is a one-lens-does all. I would have been happy to buy Pentax if they had shipped earlier. Someone said next spring, maybe. The Tamron is here now.
12-13-2007, 08:36 AM   #13

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
I have the Tamron version of this lens and it is very good on both ends...I do not see how it can be better for what it is....an 18-250mm zoom that is as sharp as a needle...

I could not say the same for the Tamron 28-300mm that is a good paper weight.
Do you own both lens? can you post some full crop comparison?
12-13-2007, 09:22 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by truonganh Quote
Do you own both lens? can you post some full crop comparison?
I do own both lenses and would be happy to.
In my own very un-scientific world, the 18-250 lens is really sharp and has very good color detail..Most shots are ready to go straight from the camera...

With the 28-300, I have found that to get similar results, I need to shoot at 400 iso and +.5EV and it will get close, but not nearly as sharp..This lens tends to really under expose a picture...I thought I had a bad copy, so I took it back to exchange it only to find it was the same...Turns out after research, many other users of the same lens had similar problems...

It was because of this that I was real hesitant to buy the tamron 18-250 zoom but the same reviews that said the 28-300 was not good, gave praise to the 18-250...I bought it and have been extremely happy with it...The only problem I see with the 18-250 is the hood gets in the way when shooting up to 20mm...

As soon as I get the chance, I will post some good comparisons...
12-13-2007, 10:38 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've said all along that I did not believe the two lenses were identical and from what Chris has reported here, it would appear that this is the case. We're in no hurry to purchase the lens so when the Pentax glass becomes available, I'll be ordering two of them (one for me and one for my wife). We also like to travel light and a one-lens-does-nearly-all is just about perfect for us. Add a fast prime and we'll be in heaven.