Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2011, 04:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PK/A Adaptall Adapter

I have one of these adapters that is a little temperamental.

I've read all the threads on this I can find here on the forum - especially this most helpful one:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/maintenance-repair-articles/50689-fixing-...a-adapter.html

I have been using it with a Tamron 60B SP300 and a K20D

With the lens mounted, if I give the lens an ever so light twist to the left, the aperture reading shows in the display. If I give that ever so light twist of the lens in the opposite direction, I get the "F--".

Being that it does work, I am very hesitant to try anything with it. I've read that some of these adapters are just a little touchy which mine seems to be.

Should I just leave it well enough alone?

10-25-2011, 05:48 PM   #2
Pentaxian

One does the same thing on my 200-500/5.6. I have never determined if it is the auto pin to body. On ection or internal for the auto sliding contact in the lens. It seems to getting better with time
10-25-2011, 06:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Lowell - I can definitely use it the way it is and it works fine - I'll just leave it alone.

I just took a good look at it - for just an adapter it is quite a complex piece of equipment!
10-25-2011, 07:03 PM   #4
Pentaxian

What makes it complex and fragile is the two contact sliders to produce the lens aperture coding. You need to be careful with a lens like the 300/2.8. It is small enough that you are tempted to pick it up by thE camera body

10-25-2011, 07:54 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

PK/A adapters

I've found I have MUCH less trouble with the F--- syndrome when I very deliberately and systematically assemble the lens in this order.

- TC to lens first if used

- Adapter to lens (or TC) with the lens and adapter pre-set at the widest aperture and the adapter tab(s) aligned with the receiving notches. If the silver release button doesn't noticeably 'click' in the engaged position something's amiss. This was discussed in an associated PF Articles thread.

- I ALWAYS engage the AE mode on the adapter before attaching the lens assembly to the camera when using a PK/A adapter - whether I intend to use the AE mode or not. Once attached to the camera the AE mode may be cycled with no apparent problem.

-If ANYTHING is not free and engaging smoothly during any phase of assembly, I back off, check alignments and start fresh.

- Swapping 'bare' lenses without removing the adapter from the body always invites problems.

Since adopting disciplined habits with the process and thoroughly cleaning all adapters I very rarely experience the F--- fault and play in the lens attachment is minimal. Adapters that I used to consider unreliable have become pretty much trouble free.

My experience covers seven PK/A adapters (hey, I got five of 'em in the '90s when they were out of fashion an' cheap, OK?) and 17 lenses -- but I still don't know why they get rebellious sometimes.

H2

Not to insult anyone's intelligence, but there have been complaints posted by folks using an older non-AE lens (or PK adapter) because they weren't getting the aperture readout.

Last edited by pacerr; 10-25-2011 at 08:00 PM.
10-26-2011, 07:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks pacerr - I'll try your method to see if it helps.

Edit to add: I tried your method and still the same results - guess this one is just a little temperamental.

Last edited by stormtech; 10-26-2011 at 09:03 AM.
10-26-2011, 01:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Thanks pacerr - I'll try your method to see if it helps.

Edit to add: I tried your method and still the same results - guess this one is just a little temperamental.
The method pacerr suggests isn't going to give you an instant fix but if you continue follow this method, the adapter may eventually start working properly. Have you tried cleaning the adapter? The adapter is fairly simply built but the two mounting tabs rotate while sliding against each other. When two pieces of metal are sliding against each other there can be some build up of metal filings and grime. I literally drown my problematic adapters in naphtha (lighter fluid) while moving the tabs back and forth, wiping down the adapter afterward can show surprising amount of black grime coming out of the adapter. I repeat the cleaning process until the grime being deposited on to the paper towels is reduced significantly.

Inspect the rear of the lens with the adapter off, if you have another Tamron Adaptall-2 lens compare the two to see if the mounting ring is damaged. When I got my SP 60B, the mounting ring was somewhat out of shape (slight bow along one side) and the PK/A adapter would not stay locked in AE position. I removed the mounting ring assembly from a 44A zoom lens and swapped it with the damaged on on the 60B, and the adapter/lens function faultlessly. If you don't have one to compare, it might be a good idea to acquire a sacrificial Adaptall-2 lens to do so.

Thanks,