Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2007, 02:51 PM   #1

Really newbie question...

It's a short question, I just bought a Tamron 70-300 to go with my K100d, now that I put it on my table, most of the weight is on the lens and the camera is tipped upward, so the camera body itself is not sitting flat... I am just wondering if it is ok to leave it like that on the table because I am paranoid the mount will somehow "deform"? The 18-55 won't have this problem.

Thanks!

12-12-2007, 03:40 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unless you plan on leaving it sitting like that for several decades, it ought to be okay.
12-12-2007, 06:17 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks! I guess I'm too paranoid.
12-12-2007, 09:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you are, you're not alone. often wondered about that myself, actually. FWIW, I think you'd probably tweak the lens before you would the body.

12-13-2007, 10:11 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There ARE times when you should be concerned about your lens mount. Those times would be anytime that the mount is bearing the entire load of a large lens. If you think about it a little bit, those danger times will make sense. For example, if you've got a large lens mounted on your camera and are carrying the camera by it's strap, there's going to be less of a strain on your lens mount if you keep the lens pointed down, as opposed to straight out from your body. Or maybe you've got your camera mounted on a tripod with that same lens while at the zoo and you're carrying the tripod over your shoulder. That, too, will put a strain on your lens mount. But, in 99% of the cases, what will happen is the lens mount will start to loosen LONG before it bends. I don't know about newer cameras, but on older ones that just meant you had to tighten up the screws holding the lens mount on. Luckily, a large number of the lenses that might have the potential to pose a danger to your camera come with tripod mounts.
12-13-2007, 09:04 PM   #6
roy
Inactive Account

i try not to!!! but ocassionally i'll do full support of a 300/2.8(5+lbs) with my DS and nothing has fallen off... yet!!! lol!
12-13-2007, 09:07 PM   #7
roy
Inactive Account

forgot to say that when i'm toting the combo it's on a strap that attaches to the lens and not to the camera body..