Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2011, 04:23 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Found an M42 SMC 50/1.4 for sale. Should I?

LBA almost hit today, but I avoided it (barely).

I found a local seller with a camera kit that he is asking $100 for. I checked it out, but I'm not sure it's worth buying. Any advice?
Pentax Spotomatic camera (visibly in very good condition, and it is working as far as I can tell)
Super Multi-coated Takumar 50/1.4 (yellow as I expected, no fungus, but aperture blades are slow)
Braun 85-205/4 (dusty inside, focus ring is stiff)
Zensar 35/2.8 (never heard of this one, and it has fungus in it)
Vivitar 2x teleconverter (looks good, in a leatherette case)
Vivitar TTL Zoom Thyristor 2500 flash
The only thing I was really interested in was the SMC Tak (I have the non-SMC version and love it), but not after I saw how the aperture blades performed.

Anything here that should be of intersest?

10-27-2011, 04:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The Spotty has some value; check eBay's COMPLETED LISTINGS. The flash will probably fry the electronics on any modern dSLR; use it only off-camera. The 2X TC is worth maybe US$5, maybe. The Braun and Zensar(??) and flash are worth about the same.

Ah, the the S-M-C Tak: Slow aperture blades are a no-no if the lens is used on the Spotty or any other M42 camera. On dSLRs with an M42-Pk adapter, that doesn't matter, as long as they do open and close fully. Still, for 80-100 bucks, I expect a ST50/1.4 to be fully functional. I got mine for US$55 because the front ring was loose and had to be glued down. If those iris blades are really sticky, you're looking at some maintenance work.

My take: This deal is marginal. Talk the price down, or skip it and look for another. They aren't exactly rare.
10-27-2011, 09:24 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The slow blades will also drop the resale value - most people will assume some dire problem. I have one of these with slow blades and no apparent issues. The blades are fine and dry, with no rust. Maybe someday I'll try a stronger spring.
10-27-2011, 09:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I would pass. The other stuff has value but not to myself (and probably not to you). You can find 100's of tak 50/1.4 on evilbay under 100.

10-29-2011, 08:53 AM   #5
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Actually I'm proud of myself for not giving in to the LBA. I agree that there was nothing there worth the money. Thanks for the second opinions!
10-29-2011, 09:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Someone just put a super-takumar 50 1.4 on the equipment sale forum, you might be interested....