Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2007, 08:29 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K10D not regonizing AF lens as AF

I have a Sigma UC Zoom 28-70mm AF lens that my K10D thinks is a manual focus lens. When I switch from MF to AF I can feel the camera engage the lens as a AF (the focusing ring gets more resistant when I turn it) but the view finder indicates that it a MF lens. Other Sigma lens work fine on the 10D and this lens works fine on my ZX-5. Any ideas what may be causing this. I used an alcohol pad to clean the contacts but it did not help. THe K10D also won't show the f stop it just indicates F--.

Thanks,
John

12-12-2007, 08:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Sounds like the contacts aren't quite, well, contacting. I sometimes run into this when using all of my extension tubes with a heavier lens. There is the tiniest bit of play that seems to be just enough to keep one of the contacts from touching. Once I play with it a bit it's fine.
12-13-2007, 01:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Does the lens have an aperture ring?
Is it set to "A"?
12-13-2007, 05:32 AM   #4

Original Poster
Yes it does but that should not affect either the autofocus or the display of the f stop.

12-13-2007, 06:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If the lens is not set to A, you will see "F--" in the display.
12-13-2007, 10:45 AM   #6

Original Poster
Sorry, I didn't realize that. F-- is displayed when the lens is set to A. It seems strange that this is the only lens that is not communicating with the K10D but will work fine with the ZX-5.
12-13-2007, 11:30 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Time Freeze Quote
Sorry, I didn't realize that. F-- is displayed when the lens is set to A. It seems strange that this is the only lens that is not communicating with the K10D but will work fine with the ZX-5.
TF - you have faulty contact between the lens and the body. This is confirmed by the F-- viewfinder display.

Make sure the mount is not loose on the lens/body.

Make sure all the little contact "ball bearings" move freely in the lens - it is not impossible for a bit of grit to be holding one of the contacts up too high to make good contact with the body lens mount.

Hope you find the problem soon.