Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2011, 09:17 PM   #1
Banned




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pittsburgh,PA
Posts: 321
sigma 17-70 vs Tamron 17-50 vs Pentax 17-70

Hello there,

I'm debating between either of these lenses for general purpose. IQ is very important. Extra 20mm on Sigma and Penatx would also be helpful in some situations. I have K-5 so not having fixed 2.8 is not a big issue..

which one do you recommend? again sharpness is important.

thanks,

10-27-2011, 10:27 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian
hcc's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,482
Off course you read the comparative review:
DA* 16-50mm vs. Sigma and Tamron 17-50mm Comparison - Introduction

where the tammy 17-50mm figured well.
10-28-2011, 05:10 AM   #3
Banned




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pittsburgh,PA
Posts: 321
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
Off course you read the comparative review:
DA* 16-50mm vs. Sigma and Tamron 17-50mm Comparison - Introduction

where the tammy 17-50mm figured well.
I read that. there is no comparison with Sigma 17-70 or Pentax 17-70... I wonder if I should go with Macro capability and extra 20 reach on Sigma or stick to Tamron... never found those 2 comparison.. that's why I posted here...
10-28-2011, 05:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member
sterretje's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Roodepoort, South Africa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,534
I think I told you before, but it might have been somebody else

There is no (real) macro capability on that sigma; the kit lens (as an example) does nearly as good with regards to magnification

10-28-2011, 05:44 AM   #5
Banned




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pittsburgh,PA
Posts: 321
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
I think I told you before, but it might have been somebody else

There is no (real) macro capability on that sigma; the kit lens (as an example) does nearly as good with regards to magnification
in terms of IQ, which one do you recommend?
10-28-2011, 08:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member
frank's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,202
IQ wise, I'd go w/ the Tamron. It's a better lens among these three, and the extra 20mm can be easily covered by walking back and forth a bit. The Sigma 1770 is a good lens on its own, but its AF hunts quite easily under low light, hard to focus (at least it's my own experience w/ two copies). Some Pentax 1770 also have focusing problem at the tele end, you can read this in the user's reviews at the forum.
10-28-2011, 09:04 AM   #7
Banned




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pittsburgh,PA
Posts: 321
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
IQ wise, I'd go w/ the Tamron. It's a better lens among these three, and the extra 20mm can be easily covered by walking back and forth a bit. The Sigma 1770 is a good lens on its own, but its AF hunts quite easily under low light, hard to focus (at least it's my own experience w/ two copies). Some Pentax 1770 also have focusing problem at the tele end, you can read this in the user's reviews at the forum.
Thanks Frank.

so, between newer sigma 17-50 and Tamron, would you still recommend Tamron over Sigma?
10-28-2011, 09:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member
frank's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,202
QuoteOriginally posted by dr_romix Quote
Thanks Frank.

so, between newer sigma 17-50 and Tamron, would you still recommend Tamron over Sigma?
Yes, I'd go with the Tamron because: Tamron 1750 is optically as good if not better, it's quite abit smaller, and a lot cheaper too.

10-28-2011, 06:29 PM   #9
Banned




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pittsburgh,PA
Posts: 321
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Yes, I'd go with the Tamron because: Tamron 1750 is optically as good if not better, it's quite abit smaller, and a lot cheaper too.
thanks.
Have you worked with Pentax 16-50?
10-31-2011, 06:38 AM - 1 Like   #10
Banned




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pittsburgh,PA
Posts: 321
Original Poster
I just got off the phone with Sigma Technical support and they guy said if I have K-5 and not worried about low light high ISO, I should stick to 17-70. Both 17-70 and 17-50 use the same optics..The only difference is EX lenses have fixed 2.8 aperture and 4 year warranty vs DC lenses don't have fixed aperture and only 3 year warranty. He also said " As much as I would want to sell you 17-50 , if you have 17-70, I would hold on to that. I have the same lens and extra 20mm comes handy quite sometime. and in our lab test, I didn't notice a difference between the two".. now I'm even more confused..what do you guys think?
10-31-2011, 07:40 AM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Boston, PRofMA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,053
QuoteOriginally posted by dr_romix Quote
if you have 17-70, I would hold on to that. I have the same lens and extra 20mm comes handy quite sometime. and in our lab test, I didn't notice a difference between the two".. now I'm even more confused..what do you guys think?
That's because the Sigma 17-50 is relatively crappy
The Tamron 17-50 easily outperforms it IIRC...

That said, if you get a good copy of the 17-70, it'll work fine. Mine seems pretty sharp slighly stopped down...
10-31-2011, 07:54 AM   #12
Pentaxian
bimjo's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pasco, WA
Posts: 967
You've asked for and received advice, act on it. This isn't like buying a house, it's a camera lens. Buy one. If you don't like it sell it and buy another. There is such a thing as "too much info". Paralysis by analysis and all that.

Having said that, which end of the zoom range is more important to you- the wide end or the tele end? If it's the wide end go with the Tamron 17-50. If it's the tele end buy a Tamron 28-75. Either one performs equally well. Both are constant f/2.8.
10-31-2011, 08:36 AM   #13
Banned




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pittsburgh,PA
Posts: 321
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bimjo Quote
You've asked for and received advice, act on it. This isn't like buying a house, it's a camera lens. Buy one. If you don't like it sell it and buy another. There is such a thing as "too much info". Paralysis by analysis and all that.

Having said that, which end of the zoom range is more important to you- the wide end or the tele end? If it's the wide end go with the Tamron 17-50. If it's the tele end buy a Tamron 28-75. Either one performs equally well. Both are constant f/2.8.
I have Tamron 28-75 which is amazing and I use it mostly for portrait. I want something for walk around especially when I'm travelling to Europe in the summer. I usually do a lot of landscape and street photos and never needed to use f2.8 as I use smaller aperture setting to get greater depth of field in my shots. Based on what the sigma technical supports says, I wouldn't notice any difference in terms of IQ on either 17-50 vs 17-70 for those purposes unless I shoot inside the church or indoor with low lighting. He also said if I have external flash for indoor photos and set my aperture to f8, again the IQ on 17-50 and 17-70 would be the same... do you agree with him?
10-31-2011, 12:04 PM   #14
Pentaxian
bimjo's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pasco, WA
Posts: 967
Honestly, if you don't need a fast lens for DOF then get the 17-70. Outdoors, in good light the picture quality will be comparable assuming you do your part. I don't do flash, and you won't either in a church in Europe I'm pretty sure. How often are you going to do that vs. outdoors? I have a Tamron 18-250 I use for travel/when I'm feeling lazy and for the most part I can't tell the pics apart from my faster glass after processing. Sure, the 18-250 needs a little bit more TLC during processing, but the end results for anything up to a 12x18 inch print are comparable.

Personally, since you've already got the 28-75 I'd look at something like the DA15 instead of another zoom. Smaller, lighter, great IQ, no duplication. YMMV.
10-31-2011, 02:32 PM   #15
Banned




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pittsburgh,PA
Posts: 321
Original Poster
Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM Lens Image Quality

-to me it seems like sigma 17-70 is as sharp as 17-50 in the center at f4 and above ... also I did the comparison with Tamron 17-50 which appears to have more CA at the corner compare to Sigma.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks.

Last edited by dr_romix; 10-31-2011 at 03:13 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-mount, pentax lens, sigma, sigma 17-70 vs, slr lens, vs, vs pentax, vs tamron
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax, Tamron or Sigma ultra-wide lens??? Pepe Guitarra Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 23 06-30-2012 08:45 PM
Help me choose between Pentax 50-135, Sigma/Tamron 70-200 Christine Tham Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 12 01-22-2011 05:17 AM
Pentax DA 50-200mm vs Tamron/Sigma 70-300? SirJangly Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 11 09-06-2010 11:01 AM
zoom lens face off - tamron vs sigma vs pentax Wired Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 8 02-18-2010 12:36 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:18 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top