Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2011, 11:03 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
We seem to be going in circles here so forgive me for a dumb question but, is there anything wrong with the operation of the lens right now?
to me it sounds like you don't know, or have not had an issue other than a little play in the mount.
If it is not impacting the pictures now, what is the issue.
Hi Lowell, the movement to me is excessive compaired to my other lenses which could impact on my shots. As the FA* 600mm is quite a sensitive lens I am trying to get the very best out of a excellent lens.

10-28-2011, 12:42 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OK so it sounds like you are to some extent, "Imagining" a potential problem, as opposed to having a real issue.

Although not as big and heavy as the 600/4, I have a tamron 200-500/5.6 that I just aquired and am trying to get good shots out of, the tamron also exhibits perhaps a little more freedom than my other lenses, and is also somewhat of a monster.

I am considering, at the expense of giving up rotation of the tripod collar, using a .25mm thick stainless steel ruler between the camera body and the tripod mount of the lens to cut this movement down. this will be more of an experiment than anything else, but you may also wish to try it.

One thing I have noticed is that with these lenses, tripod vibration is much more of an issue than this movement.
10-28-2011, 02:11 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
OK so it sounds like you are to some extent, "Imagining" a potential problem, as opposed to having a real issue.
Although not as big and heavy as the 600/4, I have a tamron 200-500/5.6 that I just aquired and am trying to get good shots out of, the tamron also exhibits perhaps a little more freedom than my other lenses, and is also somewhat of a monster.
I am considering, at the expense of giving up rotation of the tripod collar, using a .25mm thick stainless steel ruler between the camera body and the tripod mount of the lens to cut this movement down. this will be more of an experiment than anything else, but you may also wish to try it.
One thing I have noticed is that with these lenses, tripod vibration is much more of an issue than this movement.
Hi Lowel, Thank you very interesting option and worth considering if I can not find a replacement mount.
After I acquired the FA 600mm I realised how important the tripod and head were and purchased a Gitzo and Wimberley plus good lens technique. But something as simple as a piece of shaped cork placed between lens barrel and tripod mount can work wonders! Also lens mounted shutter release can help.
11-03-2011, 04:55 AM   #19

Original Poster
Since I was unable to buy a new mount from anywhere took "Excanonfd" suggestion and bought an
FA 28-80mm from Ebay. Swapped mounts over quite easily and the rotational movement has now reduced quite significantly.
Cheers for your help and suggestions.

Last edited by tomkeet; 11-03-2011 at 11:25 AM.