Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2011, 05:28 AM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: County Durham
Posts: 12
Lens Mount FA* 1:4 600mm IF ED

My Pentax-FA* 1:4 600mm IF ED has movement on the Lens mount no matter which K20D body of mine I use, my other lenses are a good tight fit regardless of the body.
I have tried to obtain a lens mount from a few UK Pentax dealers to who say no spares available.
Is there a anyone who could supply KAF lens mount for my FA* 600mm?
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

10-28-2011, 06:13 AM   #2
Site Supporter
bassek's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 577
I assume the lens has not been machined by someone?
Is it front-back or turnng movement?

Seb.
10-28-2011, 06:59 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,128
Have you tried tightening the screws on the back?
10-28-2011, 08:06 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,400
Are you sure this is just that one lens, or is it really all lenses.

Many Manyu lenses have some back and forth (rotational) movement with respect to the lens locking pin. In fact, I do not know of any of my lenses that do not.

Some will be worse than others, and the problem may be exagerated to some extent by wear, or tolorances of the lens mount and camera mount.

Before getting too bent out of shape you should see if this is an issue or not with respect to the use of the lens.

10-28-2011, 09:34 AM   #5
New Member




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: County Durham
Posts: 12
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bassek Quote
I assume the lens has not been machined by someone?
Is it front-back or turnng movement?
Seb.
Hi Seb, To my Knowledge the lens has not being machined and it's a turning movement.
10-28-2011, 09:35 AM   #6
New Member




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: County Durham
Posts: 12
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Have you tried tightening the screws on the back?
Hi Adam, The screws are tight.
10-28-2011, 09:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member
farfisa's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,274
QuoteOriginally posted by tomkeet Quote
Hi Seb, To my Knowledge the lens has not being machined and it's a turning movement.
Is the locking pin properly engaged?
10-28-2011, 09:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,421
I guess the next question is, have you inspected the mount to check for wear? If you think another mount would help, the Marketplace is awash with KAF lens mount. Buy an FA 28-80 or something similar and switch the mounts.

10-28-2011, 10:23 AM   #9
New Member




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: County Durham
Posts: 12
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Are you sure this is just that one lens, or is it really all lenses.
Many Manyu lenses have some back and forth (rotational) movement with respect to the lens locking pin. In fact, I do not know of any of my lenses that do not.
Some will be worse than others, and the problem may be exagerated to some extent by wear, or tolorances of the lens mount and camera mount.
Before getting too bent out of shape you should see if this is an issue or not with respect to the use of the lens.
Hi Lowell, The FA* 600mm is the oldest lens I own and the only one with more movement than the rest of my DA lenses so I suspect it's down to wear "back and forth rotational" from the lens mount.
If I could find a replacementt I would replace the old mount and hopefully cure the problem.
10-28-2011, 10:26 AM   #10
New Member




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: County Durham
Posts: 12
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
Is the locking pin properly engaged?
Yes, the locking pin is engaged properly.
10-28-2011, 10:28 AM   #11
Pentaxian
Cambo's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 864
I had one of mine replaced...

QuoteOriginally posted by tomkeet Quote
Hi Lowell, The FA* 600mm is the oldest lens I own and the only one with more movement than the rest of my DA lenses so I suspect it's down to wear "back and forth rotational" from the lens mount.
If I could find a replacementt I would replace the old mount and hopefully cure the problem.
and yeah it tightened things right up. Surprised nobody will sell you the parts - I guess they want you to pay the $300.00+ service charge for installing it.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Cameron
10-28-2011, 10:30 AM   #12
New Member




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: County Durham
Posts: 12
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
I guess the next question is, have you inspected the mount to check for wear? If you think another mount would help, the Marketplace is awash with KAF lens mount. Buy an FA 28-80 or something similar and switch the mounts.
That was my next line of attack if I could not find a supplier of a new one.
10-28-2011, 10:39 AM   #13
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,400
but the question remains, does it impact the functioning of the lens, or taking photos?

If there is no functional issue, I would simply leav it alone
10-28-2011, 10:44 AM   #14
New Member




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: County Durham
Posts: 12
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
but the question remains, does it impact the functioning of the lens, or taking photos?

If there is no functional issue, I would simply leav it alone
Hi Lowell, Very good question indeed and maybe the only way I can answer is to try a new tighter lens mount.
10-28-2011, 10:47 AM   #15
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,400
QuoteOriginally posted by tomkeet Quote
Hi Lowell, Very good question indeed and maybe the only way I can answer is to try a new tighter lens mount.
We seem to be going in circles here so forgive me for a dumb question but, is there anything wrong with the operation of the lens right now?

to me it sounds like you don't know, or have not had an issue other than a little play in the mount.

If it is not impacting the pictures now, what is the issue.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
600mm, body, fa*, k-mount, lens, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax-SMC-135-600mm-Lens-Case Jack Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 5 01-28-2011 10:52 PM
SMC-F* 250-600mm @ 600mm + crop Asahiflex Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 22 12-18-2010 11:21 PM
Nature It's impossible to shoot birds under without a 600mm L lens and Canon AF jaieger Post Your Photos! 6 12-01-2010 06:56 PM
FA* 600mm Lens on ebay last night!!!! stl09 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 15 11-12-2009 11:55 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:25 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top