Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2007, 10:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Travel lens lineup?

Okay so I have to figure out what I'm going to do for a travel kit with my K10D.

I have the following lenses:

17/4 Fisheye
35/2
50/1.4
85/1.9
300/4
500/4.5

All SMC Tak's. I need to decide what to take with me on my flights to various parts of the globe for work. I am traveling to some amazing places (example, an area of Portugal that is a protected area for golden eagles). I just LOVE nature photography.

For the last two months I have had with me ONLY my 17/4 Fisheye and my 85/1.9. The 17mm is tiny for packing, and great for street shooting, vistas, stitching, and shooting from the hip The 85/1.9 is an AMAZING lens and good for mucking about, but obviously isn't long enough for any serious wildlife. Again, not bad for street shooting though, some different landscape shots, things like that.

I think I'll keep the 17/4 with me since it's so small, but I'm thinking of swapping out the 85 for the 50mm, since the 50 is smaller and perhaps a little more versatile. On top of that unless I figure something better, I'll lugging that bloody 300mm around.

I'm considering purchasing other lenses...a zoom for wildlife maybe, or a 16-50 for an everything lens, but I don't know. I have such good quality covered with those 17 and 50mm takumars that I'm not sure I want to drop so much on the 16-50.

And I'm wondering about that 300mm too...that's a lot of metal to be carrying around, but I'm not sure I can go without a tele with these birds and animals all over the place. Maybe a Sigma 70-300, a mirror lens, a 135-400 or a 400/5.6 or something? I had asked about this before, but I'm still on the fence. I already lug around too much luggage and work equipment, I don't want to be a glutton for punishment...

Decisions, decisions...