Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2011, 05:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Cheap filter/lens storage?

Does anyone know of any cheap diy solutions to storing filters. Best I can come up with is put a cap on to keep dust etc off the top and maybe stack ones of the same size? I have also considered some cheap filter wallets off ebay. Does anyone have any better cheap or free ideas? I'm also thinking of making a wood box with a lid, groves cut and felt lining or something along those lines (maybe with felt lines foam to make it easier to fabricate).

As far as lenses, I have them standing on a shelf with front and rear caps, but with recent LBA problems, there are too many to fit on the cabinet and they are winding up all over the house. Some are on the entertainment center above the tv where the kids can not get them but areas like that are too cluttered for safe storage. I have some hard and some soft cases but putting them in cases and piling them up just didn't seem like a good solution. Standing the cases up would take as much room as just standing up the lenses.

I'm just curious how others do it (besides expensive storage boxes/cases as I'm broke from LBA and early Christmas shopping for the kids). I'm primarily wondering how people with too many lenses etc. do it. I have a wardrobe without the bar that I use as a camera cabinet but its over full (basically a 4'wx6'tx2'd cabinet with a large single top shelf and smaller shelves below).

10-28-2011, 06:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Filters: I have shoe-boxes full, stuffed under my desk. Most are in their own little cases. The ones I actually *use* are in cases, tossed into a pocket of my carry-bag. I keep promising myself to make some simple filter wallets for carrying them around.

Lenses: Most are in small wooden Ikea drawer units that are no longer available, so I'm in a pickle. These drawer boxes fit nicely in my bookshelves. Longer lenses and the cameras stand elsewhere on the shelves in front of books. My office is full.
10-28-2011, 07:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Filters: I have shoe-boxes full, stuffed under my desk. Most are in their own little cases. The ones I actually *use* are in cases, tossed into a pocket of my carry-bag. I keep promising myself to make some simple filter wallets for carrying them around.

Lenses: Most are in small wooden Ikea drawer units that are no longer available, so I'm in a pickle. These drawer boxes fit nicely in my bookshelves. Longer lenses and the cameras stand elsewhere on the shelves in front of books. My office is full.
Drawers sound like a good idea if I can come up with something that will fit into my cabinet and have suitable drawers for smaller lenses (might be good for filters too). That might work good for filters and other stuff too. I have cases for any filters I bought new but have a lot of used ones that don't. I have been accumulating some better ones like hoya hmc ones so I want to take good care of them but don't have original cases.
10-29-2011, 05:38 AM   #4
kyc
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you have filters mainly of one or two sizes, you can stack them and put caps on either end. I went with this solution for my 49mm filters (see http://www.filterstackers.com/) which then makes it easy for me to store or carry them in my pocket.

10-29-2011, 07:32 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For someone like RioRico, this is probably a real issue. He has more lenses than I have concert t-shirts.

My solution was to take an old, but long, cd holder shelf, remove some of the dividers and lay it horizontally in a long box with a lid that slides under our bed. The various longer lenses and other gear go in another, similar box that does not have dividers.
And there are others that are stored in the camera bags.