Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2011, 10:14 AM   #16

Original Poster
tnx bdery!
i'm going to buy the 16-50 and 50-135,
and with my samyang 8mm..this will be my kit for my long trip, hope that sdm doesn't make me cry!

primes are nice and for candid shot are great..but the non wr , and the easy use of a zoom...brought me to choose them!

i'm right????

11-03-2011, 02:14 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good choice, that combination should serve you well for what you are planning. I made the same choice but specifically based on WR+IQ, I still will use my primes all things permitting. But then again my situation is such that where I will be traveling I have a secure base location to rely on for giving me options. Cheers, and above all else enjoy the eye/mind opening experience that world travel provides!
11-03-2011, 05:28 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it was me I would try to add a DA40, FA43 or fast fifty (MF or AF). There are times that I definitely want a light compact camera. And these are all small lenses.

QuoteQuote:
i don't mean to change lenses during a monson, i'm not crazy enough
If you're talking about taking pictures in a heavy rainstorm then it's pretty much time to put the camera away regardless. If you're talking about traveling in Thailand during monsoon season then you need to rearrange your travel itinerary and not go during the rainy season. I spent January in Thailand with short trips into Laos and Cambodia and it was wonderful. It was relatively cool and it didn't rain once. I also didn't find the dry season to ridiculously dusty.
11-03-2011, 05:34 PM   #19
Pentaxian

I took a 12-24, 31, 70 on my last trip. Out of the thousands of photos I took the breakdown would be:

12-24: 85%
31: 13%
70: 2%

I'd think twice about bringing a 50-135 to be honest, one of the most common things I've read, and what I directly experienced, is how little a telephoto lens gets used during travel. I think a 16-50 plus a short tele prime (like the 70, 77 or 100) makes more sense.

11-03-2011, 05:44 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by CarloSerba Quote

hi sol invictus, i agree with you..limited lenses should fit for street and portraits,
i already thought this set... a da21 when i want stay light and anonimus..18-135 to walk around, (I.E. temple,events )...but i heard a difference of opinion..about the 18-135...do you have any experience?
Sorry I have no experience with the 18-135. People on the forum seem to like it but the external reviews can be pretty harsh. I'm in the market for a WR zoom lens but none of the current options really appeal to me for one reason or another. At least the 18-135 will give you a full range that is WR even if it's technically not that great of a lens. You can rely on your primes for most uses and only use the 18-135 when the weather demands it.
I've been thinking about this for a while and I think the following would be a good list if it's within your budget. The big advantage is that it's still very compact.

DA 15 - wide angle landscape
DA 21 - street
DA 70 - portraits
FA 50mm 1.4 - for low light
18-135 - for when the weather gets rough

Last edited by Sol Invictus; 11-03-2011 at 05:50 PM.
11-03-2011, 05:54 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I'd think twice about bringing a 50-135 to be honest, one of the most common things I've read, and what I directly experienced, is how little a telephoto lens gets used during travel. I think a 16-50 plus a short tele prime (like the 70, 77 or 100) makes more sense.
I would agree with this. I took my Sigma 70-300 to Turkey and Greece and only used it for about 5% of my shots. The longest I really needed was around 70mm.
11-04-2011, 04:39 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CarloSerba Quote
primes are nice and for candid shot are great..but the non wr , and the easy use of a zoom...brought me to choose them!

i'm right????
You're right, because you're the one making the decision We're giving you advice, but it's your choice in the end.

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I'd think twice about bringing a 50-135 to be honest, one of the most common things I've read, and what I directly experienced, is how little a telephoto lens gets used during travel.
I would tend to agree, but only to some extend. When I visited Las Vegas and New York, my FA 100-300 was very useful (and quite light). It suits my style in some situations. Of course at the time I didn't own the DFA 100 macro so things could be different now, but in any case there are many people who'd rather a 300mm's FOV than a 24mm's.