Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2011, 04:38 PM   #1

RTW trip, which lenses?

hi guys!
next year in february.. i will start my round the world trip!
i'm looking for few lenses..
i'd like travel light,
i got a k5, so where is the next step?
i try to be more clear..
i like take candid shot and portraits,
so my idea is:
buy a 16-50 as standard zoom.. and 50-135 as portrait lens and tele lens.
in the wide side i have a samyang 8mm..it's not a normal but fish eye.. anyway i like it!!!

i don't bring more than 3 lenses, i'll be all day around, without a safe place to leave my camera equipment, so k5 and lenses will be all time with me..
i'm afraid to be too short with 50-135, sometime you cannot go under the scene... you have to stay away,
but i'm afraid too, to bring a more heavy 60-250...

i already owned a 16-50 and it's too bulky..it should be a pros...but if you take a shot with it.. sometime people get scary, they think you're a real photographer..

another little fear is: the sdm issue...travelling for more than 1 year abroad could be painfull?

i saw.. the da* 55 1.4 nice lens but it cover the 16-50 and i still be too short.
i saw a cheaper solution: 18-135 wr + 55-300, but the IQ? and what about portraits?
i saw limiteds..but changes lens in india with rain, or in laos with sand it's not the best way..to use these beautiful lenses!

any suggestion?

all the best

carlo

Last edited by CarloSerba; 10-29-2011 at 05:01 PM.
10-29-2011, 05:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
the 16-50 and 50-135 are probably your best bet if you want a good all-around and compact weather sealed kit. While SDM failure is quite scary, i'd rather risk that then risk having a non-sealed lens get water damage, plus, you can always get by with a bit of manual focusing if it does fail.
if your concern with weather sealing is changing lenses in harsh conditions, you probably shouldn't be doing so anyhow since the camera is no longer sealed once the lens goes off the body. Why not grab a DA limited or two for regular candid shooting when it isnt rainy/dusty out?
Personally, if i were in your shoes, i'd grab a 21Limted, my DA*55 and a 100WR. My DA* would pretty much live on my camera 90% of the time as it already does and then i'd have the 21LTD if i felt like doing candids/street/wide stuff. The 100WR would be there for the times i'd want a tele/macro/long portrait
10-29-2011, 06:32 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you have a safe place for gear while out, then you can take more, but if you need to go light and limit yourselves to 3 lenses look at my minimum kit. Sigma 0-20, Tamron 28-75/2.8 and sigma 70-200/2.8 add the two sigma TCs and I get 10-400 mm covered.

My sigma is the non DG version which is from all comments I have seen, the sharpest, and it works well with the screw drive TCs. If I am city bound I leave it in a safe place and just go with the two shorter zooms. Not the lightest kit but it does cover almost everything
10-29-2011, 07:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

How about the DA 21 and DA 70. They would be perfect for your street candids and portraits for two reasons:

They are tiny so they won't draw undue attention, especially combined with the K-5 and are easy to carry around. In fact I think Pentax sells a carrying case that fits three pancakes. It looks like an eyeglass case and should fit easily in a jacket pocket.

Just don't make the mistake I did and buy a grey DA 40. The grey lens on black body draws a lot of looks and makes the whole inconspicuous thing kind of mute.

Combine that with an 18-135 WR for the rain and you should be set.

10-29-2011, 07:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Normally I would recommend Tamron 10-24 or Sigma equivalent, DA18-250 or its Tamron twin, FA50/1.4 or similar Fast Fifty, and a Raynox DCR-250. Now I'm not so sure. For smallness, I'm now (today) using the Zenitar 16/2.8, Vivitar-Komine 28/2 CFWA, CJZ Tessar 50/2.8 (12 iris blades), and Enna Tele-Sandmar 100/4.5. And some M42 macro tubes for getting close. Maybe substitute Super Takumars 28/3.5, 55/1.8, and 105/2.8 for those focal lengths, and still stay compact. And throw in a Meyer Telemegor 180/5.5 or Enna Tele-ennalyt 240/4.5 for reach. Zooms are for wimps.

Last edited by RioRico; 10-30-2011 at 12:46 AM.
10-29-2011, 09:20 PM   #6
Pentaxian

The 12-24 and something else. Perhaps a 28-75. And a baggie and rubber bands for WR.
10-29-2011, 10:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

First of all, you will always wish that you had something longer or wider; it does not matter what you carry around. That's life

You're worried about the weight of the DA*60-250. Not sure if that is during shooting or just the carrying. In the latter case, you can drop the DA*50-135 and just take DA*16-50 and the DA*60-250. I'm aware that it's not F/2.8 but with the K5's high ISO performance, that will only important if you really need the narrow DOF.

If you insist on DA*16-50 and DA*50-135, the first thought would be to add a DA*200 for those occasional shots. You can consider the DA50-200WR or the DA55-300 for those occasional shots where you need longer. Most consider the latter a bit better from an IQ perpsective but it's non-WR. Or obviously

As said, plastic bag and rubber bands can do wonders for non-WR lenses. It will also give you some extra protection for WR lenses.

10-30-2011, 02:17 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Identify the focal length's you probably use most and get one good weather sealed lens that covers those focal length's the best. For long hiking trips I mostly rely on three lenses: the DA*16-50mm, the DA 55-300mm and the DA 35mm limited. My last trip I used one prime lens extra; the FA77mm. With a big backpack (130 liters) on my back and photo bag on a chest harness I can move around easily and alway's have my kit ready for action. The 16-50 is the most used lens due to my shooting stile and it's WR capability's. If the SDM breaks you can still use manual focus. The DA35 gives some extra macro capability and could double as a walk around lens if you want to blend in a bit more and as such it can replace the 16-50 if the SDM thing happens. But if low light shooting & small DOF is your thing there are plenty good and light fast fifty's around. If there is some more space, a longer and faster prime lens like the FA77 is nice to pick out (part of) objects or people. The DA 55-300 is light and has a decent IQ. It's also a decent lens fore close up work. Sure with this kit you lose the WR capability beyond 50mm but you have to compromise somehow to keep your kit light enough. Most of my shooting whilst traveling is with the 16-50 anyway. If you like to shoot most of your photo's with between 50- and 250mm you should get something weather sealed in that range off course. Just accept that you won't have the lenses to use in every instance. You are traveling to enjoy the world and you shouldn't limit your view of the world by looking trough the view finder all of the time...
10-30-2011, 04:08 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by adpo Quote
the 16-50 and 50-135 are probably your best bet if you want a good all-around and compact weather sealed kit. While SDM failure is quite scary, i'd rather risk that then risk having a non-sealed lens get water damage, plus, you can always get by with a bit of manual focusing if it does fail.
if your concern with weather sealing is changing lenses in harsh conditions, you probably shouldn't be doing so anyhow since the camera is no longer sealed once the lens goes off the body. Why not grab a DA limited or two for regular candid shooting when it isnt rainy/dusty out?
Personally, if i were in your shoes, i'd grab a 21Limted, my DA*55 and a 100WR. My DA* would pretty much live on my camera 90% of the time as it already does and then i'd have the 21LTD if i felt like doing candids/street/wide stuff. The 100WR would be there for the times i'd want a tele/macro/long portrait
tnx adpo!
i tried da limiteds (21-35-70), nice lenses, the 100 wr either,
but they are prime lenses!

i don't mean to change lenses during a monson, i'm not crazy enought ...but with a zoom like 16-50 i could get in one lens...a 21mm 35mm and 50mm...so i can need less times to change the lenses, and in asia is a plus!

i agre to use something like 21 ltd for street and candid shot!
my brother saw k5 +21ltd...he said: is it a bridge or dslr?

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
If you have a safe place for gear while out, then you can take more, but if you need to go light and limit yourselves to 3 lenses look at my minimum kit. Sigma 0-20, Tamron 28-75/2.8 and sigma 70-200/2.8 add the two sigma TCs and I get 10-400 mm covered.

My sigma is the non DG version which is from all comments I have seen, the sharpest, and it works well with the screw drive TCs. If I am city bound I leave it in a safe place and just go with the two shorter zooms. Not the lightest kit but it does cover almost everything
tnx lowell goudge, i heard amazing thing about the sigma 70/200 and you pay if i'm not wrong almost 1.5kq! but i prefer get something WR,

anyway..sigma 10 20 doesn't cover my range, a love 8mm

QuoteOriginally posted by Sol Invictus Quote
How about the DA 21 and DA 70. They would be perfect for your street candids and portraits for two reasons:

They are tiny so they won't draw undue attention, especially combined with the K-5 and are easy to carry around. In fact I think Pentax sells a carrying case that fits three pancakes. It looks like an eyeglass case and should fit easily in a jacket pocket.

Just don't make the mistake I did and buy a grey DA 40. The grey lens on black body draws a lot of looks and makes the whole inconspicuous thing kind of mute.

hi sol invictus, i agree with you..limited lenses should fit for street and portraits,
i already thought this set... a da21 when i want stay light and anonimus..18-135 to walk around, (I.E. temple,events )...but i heard a difference of opinion..about the 18-135...do you have any experience?

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Normally I would recommend Tamron 10-24 or Sigma equivalent, DA18-250 or its Tamron twin, FA50/1.4 or similar Fast Fifty, and a Raynox DCR-250. Now I'm not so sure. For smallness, I'm now (today) using the Zenitar 16/2.8, Vivitar-Komine 28/2 CFWA, CJZ Tessar 50/2.8 (12 iris blades), and Enna Tele-Sandmar 100/4.5. And some M42 macro tubes for getting close. Maybe substitute Super Takumars 28/3.5, 55/1.8, and 105/2.8 for those focal lengths, and still stay compact. And throw in a Meyer Telemegor 180/5.5 or Enna Tele-ennalyt 240/4.5 for reach. Zooms are for wimps.
eheheehe wimps!
i know...but you have to understand...
i grow up during the era of AF and ZOOM!
it's like if my grampa say: Computers are for wimps...typewritter is better!!! hehehehe!
but it's not that matter...
i already travelled in asia, australia, europe and africa, and when you travel you see a different word, culture, people, sometime a zoom make different between a photo and amazing photo, if you don't have the right focal at the right moment you'll loose your shot, that's why i'm pushing to buy a zoom as first lens to use.
in my country if i see something nice i can say...hey please wait until i change my lens..but in other place you don't speak the same words..and often they don't understand that this pic is just for your pleasure and you aren't a pro photographer!
this is just to give an example..

for example
when you visit a village in laos or cambodia, you have to pass from wide (shot of village and landscape), to take portraits or catch strange things (for me) in few second...
anyway i don't want a 18-250 zoom , i prefer keep an high IQ.
10-30-2011, 04:09 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
The 12-24 and something else. Perhaps a 28-75. And a baggie and rubber bands for WR.
hi specialK

i thought on 12-24, i could use as my standard zoom, so using everyday but for this use i prefer get a wr lens, perphaps a non wr lens could be for portrait and long tele, but non for walk around all day long..

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
First of all, you will always wish that you had something longer or wider; it does not matter what you carry around. That's life

You're worried about the weight of the DA*60-250. Not sure if that is during shooting or just the carrying. In the latter case, you can drop the DA*50-135 and just take DA*16-50 and the DA*60-250. I'm aware that it's not F/2.8 but with the K5's high ISO performance, that will only important if you really need the narrow DOF.

If you insist on DA*16-50 and DA*50-135, the first thought would be to add a DA*200 for those occasional shots. You can consider the DA50-200WR or the DA55-300 for those occasional shots where you need longer. Most consider the latter a bit better from an IQ perpsective but it's non-WR. Or obviously

As said, plastic bag and rubber bands can do wonders for non-WR lenses. It will also give you some extra protection for WR lenses.
tnx sterretje!

i will always wish that i had something longer or wider; it does not matter what i carry around. That's life...yessss WE ARE HUMANS!!!

what do you think about 60-250? can i use instead 50-135 for portraits?

a long tele it's perfect when you cannot stay close to your subject, and when you travel a lot of stuff is too far to shot with a normal zoom!

QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
Identify the focal length's you probably use most and get one good weather sealed lens that covers those focal length's the best. For long hiking trips I mostly rely on three lenses: the DA*16-50mm, the DA 55-300mm and the DA 35mm limited. My last trip I used one prime lens extra; the FA77mm. With a big backpack (130 liters) on my back and photo bag on a chest harness I can move around easily and alway's have my kit ready for action. The 16-50 is the most used lens due to my shooting stile and it's WR capability's. If the SDM breaks you can still use manual focus. The DA35 gives some extra macro capability and could double as a walk around lens if you want to blend in a bit more and as such it can replace the 16-50 if the SDM thing happens. But if low light shooting & small DOF is your thing there are plenty good and light fast fifty's around. If there is some more space, a longer and faster prime lens like the FA77 is nice to pick out (part of) objects or people. The DA 55-300 is light and has a decent IQ. It's also a decent lens fore close up work. Sure with this kit you lose the WR capability beyond 50mm but you have to compromise somehow to keep your kit light enough. Most of my shooting whilst traveling is with the 16-50 anyway. If you like to shoot most of your photo's with between 50- and 250mm you should get something weather sealed in that range off course. Just accept that you won't have the lenses to use in every instance. You are traveling to enjoy the world and you shouldn't limit your view of the world by looking trough the view finder all of the time...
tnx fries!!!
I was struck with your last words: You are traveling to enjoy the world and you shouldn't limit your view of the world by looking trough the view finder all of the time...

i like the 16-50 i used for 1 year, but it
suffer from flare, in backlight it's not the best!
55-300 as tele i think is nice cheap lens,
but i still miss a portraits lens...better if it was inside the 55-300!!!
10-30-2011, 05:01 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I don't have those lenses. I shoot 99% with a FA31Ltd and DFA100WR on my K5 The other 1% is kit lens. Others can advise better, but personally I would not see a (technical) problem unless you really want a very thin DOF.
10-31-2011, 01:21 PM   #12
Pentaxian

.... Sigma 0-20, ...
That's some lens!!

Where can we all buy one and how much does it cost?
10-31-2011, 02:04 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

carlo

re the sigma 70-200 true enough it is not the lightest lens in my bag, BUT and this is a big BUT, if you have what you consider secure storage, then you are not carrying it all the time.

Personally, if I know I have a safe storage at my temporary base, I usually take 2 camera bags, a backpack that holds everything and a smaller shoulder bag for what I might want when walking about.

the shoulder bag can usually hold a body plus a few (1-2 shorter lenses) and I usually have one lens on camera in hand at all times.

I only take the big bag when I need the long stuff. otherwise it stays locked in my sage storage.

One thing I have considered is switching out the backpack for a hard case, so that I can use a high tensile cable and paclock to literally lock the case to something in the hotel room, or to somethign structural in a car trunk,

it is one thing to have a case that can be easily picked up, but quite another that requires real tools to steal.
11-03-2011, 09:13 AM   #14

Original Poster
One thing I have considered is switching out the backpack for a hard case, so that I can use a high tensile cable and paclock to literally lock the case to something in the hotel room, or to somethign structural in a car trunk,

it is one thing to have a case that can be easily picked up, but quite another that requires real tools to steal.

maybe i have to buy something like this: Pacsafe Anti-Theft Bags & Travel Security Products
11-03-2011, 10:02 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CarloSerba Quote
i'm afraid to be too short with 50-135
You can always crop

Good idea, I was about to propose the 21 with a 50.

Good idea too.

If it was me, with my current kit I'd bring the 21, 50, 100 macro WR, and probably the 18-55 WR. I'd leave (sadly) the Sigma 17-70 at home with the 100-300 (too large).

If I was starting from scratch, I'd bring

18-135 WR (convenient range, good IQ, WR, and SDM means silent focus, less disturbing in many areas)
21mm Limited for wide
50mm f1,4 or f1,7 for mid-range and a fast aperture
70mm, 77mm or 100mm depending on your style (for me the 100mm macro does short tele plus macro, it's a nice package)

You'd be all set. Your kit would be smaller and lighter than if you bought a 16-50 and a 50-135. You could use the 135 and crop it if you need more virtual reach, your K-5 has enough resolution for that. But with the kit I listed, you could even add a longer prime (200, 300) and still have about the same weigth as with the 16-50 and 50-135.