Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2011, 08:10 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax lens of similar focal length: vs faceoff comparisons required!

So I like to compare lenses of similar range focal length for IQ in the first, and all the other bits and pieces secondary and think it would help having some side by side comparisons done on a whole lot of Pentax lenses.

I saw the recent FA*80-200/2.8 vs Sigma 70-200/2.8 vs Tamron 70-200/2.8 and was thinking along these lines (personally I think it was a lost opportunity not to include the DA*60-250/4 in this test as a comparison given the FA* is no longer available new and the DA* has an overlapping zoom range). I also think it doesnt hurt to compare zoom lenses of different ranges, both for where they overlap as well as where they go further in FL (or max aperture) than the other - visual comparisons are great in this respect for contrast, bokeh/isolation etc. The wall-chart stuff for pure science as well as 'real world' outdoor/indoor image examples would both be very useful.
When the new DFA100 Macro came out - it nailed my choice to go for the DFA over the FA due to the rounded blades - thanks to the person who did that (apologies for forgetting) it was great!

I tried to check here recently re DA*16-50/2.8 vs DA 17-70/4 comparisons but to little avail... And although there have been plenty of these threads I know, most are anecdotal at best and heavily biased toward the responder's use of the lens.

Anyway, the side by side IQ/etc comparisons i'd *kill* to see are:

Primes:
FA 50/1.4 vs FA 50/1.7 vs DA* 55/1.4
FA 43/1.9 ltd vs DA 40
DA14/2.8 vs DA15/4
FA 77/1.8 ltd vs DA70
FA 35/2 vs DA 35/2.4 vs FA 31/1.8 ltd vs DA 35/2.8 macro

Zooms:
DA* 16-50/2.8 vs DA 17-70/4
DA 50-200 vs DA 55-300 vs DA 18-250 (the latter primarily for the 50-250 range)
and as above, the 70-200/2.8 vs DA* 60-250/4

There's also the option of some of the third party lenses beyond that, eg Sigma 50/1.4 & Sigma 30/1.4 against the respective focal lengths...

Would love to be able to get my hands on all the glass to do myself but alas
Could be useful for people to really get their heads around what to expect from each lens before they go out and buy. All the stats about diffraction and autofocus speed are great and objective, but sometimes you need to compare the subjective in a more measured way... if that makes sense!

10-30-2011, 12:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

There is the lens sample threads seem like what you are looking for unless you are looking for literal side by side comparisons with each lens shooting the same thing and then comparisons of the results but that just seem like a lot of work, I would rather sit in blind by a watering hole and see what animals come by.
10-30-2011, 01:05 AM   #3

Original Poster
Yeah as mentioned above - side by side.

Its one thing to see the samples, but to really compare you have to be taking photos of the same subject with the same camera body on same settings with different lens.

Pretty sure there have been some far more epic tests done here recently, and yes, I'd still rather be out using the lenses I have, but would help enormously to have these kinds of comparisons to hand.
10-30-2011, 02:00 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JayR Quote
Anyway, the side by side IQ/etc comparisons i'd *kill* to see are:

Primes:
FA 35/2 vs DA 35/2.4 vs FA 31/1.8 ltd vs DA 35/2.8 macro
Part of your prayer has already been answered:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/118765-da-35mm...ny-photos.html

Kjell

10-30-2011, 02:10 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks!
If only it included the FA 31 as well!!
10-30-2011, 02:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Its one thing to see the samples, but to really compare you have to be taking photos of the same subject with the same camera body on same settings with different lens.
And then we have copy variation. For meaningful tests, we would need to compare identical-scenario shots from several copies of each model lens. If someone will loan me six copies each of the the candidate lenses, I'll gladly do the tests. I might even return all the lenses, who knows?
10-30-2011, 03:28 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
And then we have copy variation. For meaningful tests, we would need to compare identical-scenario shots from several copies of each model lens. If someone will loan me six copies each of the the candidate lenses, I'll gladly do the tests. I might even return all the lenses, who knows?

Yes, quality control aside between lenses however...

Who donates their lenses to whatshisface at Photozone?

Still, is it not an interesting idea for a test?
The one noted below was pretty much bang on except that the final real world images were only using the DA 35/2.4 (and as mentioned no 31 ltd for this particular thread)

10-30-2011, 05:26 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why not try with your local forum members. Arrange an outing for onlyba specific focal length and ihave everyone bring their variant
10-30-2011, 07:09 AM   #9

Original Poster
ha maybe, but there arent enough of us in this smallish big city really to imagine getting enough of the lenses together for a good cross check, let alone us all having the same camera bodies.

good idea nonetheless!
10-31-2011, 06:13 AM   #10

Original Poster
Damn, someone want to sponsor me to do this? :P

Promise I'll give all the lenses back after the shootout!
10-31-2011, 06:19 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks!
If only it included the FA 31 as well!!
I thought the FA 31 was incomparable...
10-31-2011, 07:22 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

a very long time ago, I think I tried to get a "standard" lens comparison test for forum members, so that we could easily have comparison shots without finding members that had, for example, similar gear or specific collections of lenses.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/42478-zoom-len...e-rules-3.html

there was also this thread

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/133231-how-do-...omparison.html

and there are a lot of other threads about doing lens testing.

It would be nice if we could get some form of "standard" images to use for comparisons, and I don't think printed pages or cereal boxes are the way to go here. Real images plus other factual test images
10-31-2011, 10:24 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
It would be nice if we could get some form of "standard" images to use for comparisons, and I don't think printed pages or cereal boxes are the way to go here. Real images plus other factual test images
yes, one of the standard charts to measure abberation, softeness at centre etc is enough for quantative assessment, but I also just want to see how they perform side by side qualitatively: for real images, unprocessed etc to compare colour cast, contrast, 3d pop etc - the lens 'character', strengths & weaknesses.

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
I thought the FA 31 was incomparable...
Ha, well I own it & use it alot, but always curious to see how it compares on the qualitative side of things.