Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2011, 09:57 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
As you may know, I own a few lenses. Including a 21mm, four 24mm's, sixteen 28mm's, and ten 35mm's, as well as various others. And I try to use them all.

But I have a favorite cache of tiny ultralight lenses, always in my carry bag: Enna Tele-Sandmar 100/4.5 (110g, 10 iris blades), CZJ Tessar 50/2.8 (110g, 12 blades), and pancake Meyer Helioplan 40/4.5 (100g, 12 blades). These are my favorite lenses for many situations, including the mountain passes I cruised today. They have a very 1950's German clear sharp image quality. And they easily go macro.

Alas, I am not yet happy. The Helioplan is a bit sticky and not different enough from the Tessar. I need something wider while tiny. Wider means, 30mm or shorter. Tiny mean under 150g. Ok, maybe I could stretch it to 160g, no more.

I want a tiny 28mm or shorter, to be part of my always-there kit, where I can stuff the whole kit into one pocket and hardly notice. I already have some candidates in stock:

* Paragon 24/2.4 (220g) -- my lightest 24 but much too heavy
* Tamron BBAR 02B 28/2.5 (230g) -- lightest fast 28, heavier
* Vivitar-Komine 28/2 CFWA (270g) -- fast, compact, heavier yet
* Pentax M28/2.8 (150g) -- almost light enough, but how is IQ?

When I have money again, I'll be looking for something lighter and funkier than the M28 (150g), to keep in that always-have lens pouch. I'd thought of maybe a SuperTak 28/3.5 but they're heavier (220-260g). If I can figure how to convert an Enna Sandmar 35/4.5 (60g) to PK mount, that will almost suffice.

So, the question: What is the tiniest 28mm lens you know of? Something with character, in the 100g neighborhood. Some cheap little jewel I can stick in my pocket. Does it exist? Am I dreaming?
The M 28/2.8 has very decent IQ. Not quite as nice as the 3.5s, but perfectly acceptable.

You might also consider a Super Takumar 35/3.5. 150g and very sharp. I suggest the Super Takumar rather tnan SMC because the single coating on the Super Takumar would bring the image character more in line with the other lenses in your kit. (Note that some late Super Takumars are said to have multicoating.)

John

10-31-2011, 11:26 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by John Poirier Quote
You might also consider a Super Takumar 35/3.5. 150g and very sharp. I suggest the Super Takumar rather tnan SMC because the single coating on the Super Takumar would bring the image character more in line with the other lenses in your kit. (Note that some late Super Takumars are said to have multicoating.)
I have the SuperTak 35/3.5 and it's almost a contender for my mini-kit. I also have a Meyer Primagon 35/4.5 (160g) that has the kit-IQ and is only slightly bulkier than the ST35. Either could displace the tiny Helioplan 40 (100g) which has sticky focus. Yes, I'll audition them. But either of those could themselves be displaced by something lighter+smaller. And I really like the 28mm FOV, so my goal is still the tiniest compatible 28 or even 25. Yeah, that'll happen...
You've got to have a dream
If you don't have a dream
How you gonna have a dream come true?
Back in 35mm land: Like I said, if I can figure how to mount the tiny (60g) Enna Sandmar 35/4.5 on PK, it will go in the mini-kit. But I just remembered another candidate, acquired in my early eBay LBA frenzy: a Loreo lens-in-a-cap 35mm PC. Yes, a shift lens, but it only has f/11 and f/22 stops. Ow, I haven't even touched it for a couple years. Pro: It only weighs 30g. Con: Everything else. What the hell, I'll give it a run in the daylight. Anything for a giggle.
11-01-2011, 10:11 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
... The pancake M20/4 (150g) is very tempting. All I need is money...
If money was not a problem, you could save some size/weight on the camera side. But that represents a lot of lens sale activity.

Without looking it up, I think you have the heaviest Pentax K-mount DSLR and the lightest Pentax K-mount film camera.
11-01-2011, 10:49 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
If money was not a problem, you could save some size/weight on the camera side. But that represents a lot of lens sale activity.
Indeed. If I sell enough stuff (including some from relatives that I'll get of cut of) then a Kr or its successor (or a NEX) may appear in my post-Xmas stocking. But the purpose of this exercise isn't to find the lightest lens+camera combos, just for a small lightweight lens kit I can cram into a pocket without ripping-out the stitching.

QuoteQuote:
Without looking it up, I think you have the heaviest Pentax K-mount DSLR and the lightest Pentax K-mount film camera.
Let's see, my current Pentax stable (bodies weighed naked on my scale) includes:

715g -- Pentax K20D
620g -- Asahi Pentax K1000
610g -- Honeywell Pentax Spotmatic SP
450g -- Pentax MV1
305g -- Pentax ZX-M

The grip on the ZX-M (without batteries) boosts it up to 420g, the same as my tiny Voigtlander Vito II folder. Yes, it's a plastic fantastic wonder and it travels with me. I haven't checked the camera database either -- can all models be sorted by weight? Of course the MV1 is a wee bit smaller (naked) and heavier, like the OM-1 that I never had. More excuses to burn film...

11-01-2011, 04:02 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I believe I have found the lens you are looking for.
Wolfiegirls Ricoh-thread made me look more into what Ricoh lenses Pentax may have designed...this is not one of them, but I stumbled over it while looking for that.

In the mid-90's Ricoh made a small number of aspherical 28mm f3.5 pancake lenses in K mount
the color is metallic
6 elements in 6 groups
it measures 58.5mm wide and 19.5 mm deep
weight? sit down and grab something...

(drum rolls)

(drum rolls)

...55g !!!!

Looking for a good photo, but this thing seams to be very rare.
11-01-2011, 04:09 PM   #21
Pentaxian

55g ?? serious??

url/photo please
11-01-2011, 04:14 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Close focus distance 0.35m
This site give the weight as 60g, but what the heck, 5g more or less.

They came in a black version also.

I WANT ONE!
11-01-2011, 04:15 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Bonus from the same site:

But I'd rather put the black version on my black ME Super...killer street combo.

11-01-2011, 10:50 PM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote

Close focus distance 0.35m
This site give the weight as 60g, but what the heck, 5g more or less.

They came in a black version also.

I WANT ONE!
Looking more closely at the picture now it appears as if the filter thread is part of the focus ring, so a filter will rotate when you focus. Not that I care, but obviously they have had to go to extreme solutions to make it this small.

A thought...if Ricoh owns the design of this lens, assuming it is not a lemon, it would be cool if they could release it as a SMC Pentax-DA limited pancake. It would complement the 21, 40 and 70 ltds very well.
I'm yet to discover any shots taken with it.
11-01-2011, 11:17 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Cool lens! Too bad someone doesn't have a back storeroom full of them somewhere.
I'd love to try one out, but if they are rare, this publicity is likely to shoot up the price. :-)
11-01-2011, 11:48 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, that one would do the trick! Now I just have to find one. And sell something to pay for it. What price can I get for a hyperactive grandson?

But wait, that's a Ricoh lens! Doesn't this belong in the non-Pentax forum?

[/me digs at Doug for moving a Ricoh-lens thread away from here]
11-02-2011, 06:06 AM   #27
Site Supporter

Black version on LX:

The metalic they call "bronze".
11-02-2011, 06:21 AM   #28
Site Supporter

Still no examples shot with it, but at least a statement saying "Optically good but have plastic bodies." (http://www.oocities.org/wing-hong/OnlyPentax/LXLimitedwithRicoh.htm)

Google translate helped me with the Japanese and we can add (http://translate.google.se/translate?hl=sv&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pentax-fan.jp%2FLENS%2FKW%2FXR28_35.html):

6 apperture blades
5:4 lens solution
"difficult to focus"
"little barrel distortion...fairly sharp"

Last edited by Douglas_of_Sweden; 11-02-2011 at 06:36 AM.
11-02-2011, 06:28 AM   #29
Pentaxian

I will need to keep an eye open for this lens, as i routinely come across used ricoh stuff. I can't recall seeing this lens yet however.

As an aside, it would be really interesting to see a lightest weight lens kit thread, with perhaps M42, K/KA mount and AF listings.
11-02-2011, 06:37 AM   #30
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I will need to keep an eye open for this lens, as i routinely come across used ricoh stuff. I can't recall seeing this lens yet however.

As an aside, it would be really interesting to see a lightest weight lens kit thread, with perhaps M42, K/KA mount and AF listings.
Given that the only two substantial links (of three at all) are by Japanese fellows I begin to wonder if this lens was at all released outside Japan. Information is so scarce that this thread is already coming up as number two on google when I search for this lens.
What bodies did Ricoh have in 1996 that they figured people would put this lens on?

Lightweight kit thread is a good idea.
Do we have a pancake club?