Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2011, 11:19 AM   #31
Brooke Meyer

Yes, Edgar, it can be done

You have to track the motion. Use the AF button and stay on the subject. And use manual exposure.

Frisbee Dogs with K-5 & 50-135. (f8, 1/400, ISO 200)
Ballet Rehearsal with K-20 & 50-135 ( f4, 1/200 due to fluorescent overhead lighting, ISO 1600).

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
10-31-2011, 06:03 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
More Great Photos And Advice!

Well, thanks again to everyone who's taken the time to reply and especially for all the fine photos. This gives me determination to keep going, at least at the level I've tried, kids' sports. I'm planning to go to the "Bantam" SuperBowl and utilize as many of the tips as I can, that I've learned here from all the helpful members.
Seeing some of the M/F lens shots and slower-lens shots makes me realize it CAN be done, maybe not the first few times, but eventually. Anticipating the action really makes sense, I wasn't "tuned" to the flow of the game, more like blasting away, hoping for good results. No plan, just click and cross my fingers.
So now I'll try to follow the action and prepare better.
I'm also considering trying my manual primes for 1/2 of the game, then the A/F zooms for the 2nd half, see which one suits me better. My M 100 2.8 would be a 150mm in digital and the M 200 f4.0 would be a sharp 300mm. My A/F 100-300mm zoom doesn't seem too sharp at full rack. The M would be a whole stop faster, which should help the shutter-speed issue.
And the monopod is already in the trunk, no excuses!
A question for the K10D vets; Is there a way to set the Auto ISO so I'll always have 1/500s (or higher) shutter speed, even with M lenses? It that simply TaV with auto ISO select above 1/500? Or is there more to it?
Or should I just set ISO 400 and take what I get?
Ron