Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2011, 07:58 PM   #31

Hi Frog

I haven't dismissed primes.. but find better value in the zooms (and I still have the beak problem).. nice shot of the kingfisher btw highlights how good the primes can be.

I only big point is about flexibility & price. Most of the primes exceed Rally (and mine) budgets and require another expense for a TC which offer just another extended fixed frame.

Visit the Emerald range in Brisbane (south west of the city, see ORielys) and try to get a shot of the Yellow Robin... fast little bugger that doesn't sit still for 2 seconds, jumpy too. Funnily enough my best shot came from a point&click handheld (opertunity) vs all the failed shots with my DSLR.

11-03-2011, 08:01 PM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by RallyDriver96 Quote
Well, I did it.... I just purchased...
Sigma 100-300 f4 apo ex dg from a forum member

And from B&H:
Sigma 1.4x ex dg apo TC
82mm Hoya UV(0) HMC
Lowepro Toploader Pro 75 AW
Lens Cleaning tools and a Large rocket blower.

I am all gitty, I can't wait till everything shows up (Wed/Thurs of next week) - bring on the snow baby, I'm ready to go play!

Thank you everyone for chiming in on this thread. The knowledge I have gained is invaluable. I still look forward to getting into the fast prime group (300/2.8 Tokina anyone?), however right now for my budget, I felt it was best to find a lens that best suited my vast needs (both wildlife and auto racing). The 100-300 (with a TC) was my dream lens setup, while I would have been happy with the new Bigmos, I feel like I have a bit superior setup (while not as much reach of course). Looks like the fast primes will have to wait till spring time.

Greg

Well let us see the test shots.....
11-03-2011, 08:51 PM   #33
Forum Member

Original Poster
Just as soon as it all arrives I'll be right on it!
11-03-2011, 09:19 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by baker5 Quote
Hi Frog

I haven't dismissed primes.. but find better value in the zooms (and I still have the beak problem).. nice shot of the kingfisher btw highlights how good the primes can be.

I only big point is about flexibility & price. Most of the primes exceed Rally (and mine) budgets and require another expense for a TC which offer just another extended fixed frame.

Visit the Emerald range in Brisbane (south west of the city, see ORielys) and try to get a shot of the Yellow Robin... fast little bugger that doesn't sit still for 2 seconds, jumpy too. Funnily enough my best shot came from a point&click handheld (opertunity) vs all the failed shots with my DSLR.
Quite understand mate. I nearly changed that KF shot for another as I felt the movement blur didn't highlight the point I was trying to make but anyway for 500mm for large birds at a distance the Tamron 500mm BB mirror is well worth adding to your bag for the US$100-150 they cost. Works well with CIF too so it's not all MF ! IQ isn't near that of a prime or good quality zoom but check out the Mirror thread here on PF to see how sharp shots from it can be when nothing else has the reach.

Rally driver - congrats on a wonderful lens & TC purchase, lovely set-up !

11-03-2011, 09:23 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RallyDriver96 Quote
Well, I did it.... I just purchased...
Sigma 100-300 f4 apo ex dg from a forum member

And from B&H:
Sigma 1.4x ex dg apo TC
82mm Hoya UV(0) HMC
Lowepro Toploader Pro 75 AW
Lens Cleaning tools and a Large rocket blower.

I
Greg
Congrats on the Lens, like finding Hens Teeth, the 1.4tc is a ripper with these kinds of lenses.

The Lowepro Toploader is a great bag, I have that one, it fits my 300 with camera body/battery grip attached in there, plus you can lock on a side pocket in the webbing.

Have fun out there.