Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2011, 09:07 AM   #1
Inactive Account

My recent lens purchase

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Ok have a new k-r camera and recently purchased this used lens on the net. Super-Takumar (Pentax ) 28mm 1:3.5 Lens w/case and caps, M42 mount.

I heard that these old lens can be good. I cannot figure out if I need to get a adaptor for it. I believe I have to, and have not yet attempted to install on camera.

There is a long pin sticking out on the back. O ya I am new to photography so not yet down with all the tech names or description. If you need a picture I can take picture and repost.

So if I need a adaptor what do I ask for? A pentax adaptor or did I go with offbrand name one and how much can I expect to pay. Plus will the camera store guy know what I am talking about if I give description over the phone and said store is a pentax dealer?

11-01-2011, 09:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You need the pentax K to m42 adapter. Everyone says the genuine pentax is the best and is priced at $30.00 U.S.

http://www.pentaxwebstore.com/product/9384

This is the one though you don't have to buy it from the webstore. I'm not sure about the webstore since the ricoh switch? There are things listed on backorder that weren't available before so I don't know if it will really ship in 10 days like it says, from them.
11-01-2011, 09:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The genuine ones are hard to come by. I ordered one from Pentax and they eventually cancelled my order after 4 months of waiting. You can buy a genuine one on ebay for about $50. Or just but the generic, it works fine, it's just a bit more involved taking off.

Pentax M42 42mm to PK K Mount Adapter Infinity focus | eBay

Using M42 lenses on a pentax camera.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html
11-01-2011, 09:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The long pin on the lens base is the aperture stop-down linkage. It does nothing with or to your dSLR. Don't worry about it.

The cheap clone M42-PK adapters are quite serviceable -- I use dozens of them. But you MUST remove the screw and clip from the adapter or YOU WILL GO APESH!T! These adapters all-too-easily get stuck in the camera. Remove the screw and clip. Throw away the tool that comes with the adapter. Tighten or loosen the adapter on the lens thread using a Pentax lens rear cap as a wrench.

Have fun!

11-01-2011, 10:06 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry RioRico but getting the clone is a false economy imo. With the genuine article you are not worrying about using a tool, or losing infinity focus or if the tolerances are correct.

Line up with the mount, turn a quarter or less, secure, screw in the lens.
To undo, unscrew lens, press the tension clip and release. Simple as.
11-01-2011, 11:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I've long said that all screwmount users should own ONE Official Pentax M42-PK adapter. But for those of us with more than a few screwmount lenses, that's not enough; a single copy is tediously inconvenient. Multiple copies of the Official Pentax quickly become astronomically expensive. So I use many clones on many M42 and M39 and Exakta-mount lenses. Some have hosted resident adapters so long that I've almost forgotten they aren't native PK-mount glass.

I've never had infinity-focus problems with narrow-flange clones. Nor mounting problems, once I learned to remove the screw and clip. And when infinity isn't an issue, as with macro and portrait and some long tele lenses, I use cheap safe wide-flange no-infinity-focus adapters. The Official Pentax is great to have, but it's not the be-all-and-end-all of adapters, and that's a fact.

EDIT: I was going to link to my adapters review, but now I can't find it. Why aren't mount adapters listed in LENS ACCESSORIES?

Last edited by RioRico; 11-01-2011 at 11:29 AM.
11-01-2011, 11:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I would love to own one official one, but I don't want to pay the eBay rates.

11-01-2011, 12:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
But you MUST remove the screw and clip from the adapter or YOU WILL GO APESH!T!
What is the function of the screw and clip? I have never used an off brand adapter so I don't know.

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Some have hosted resident adapters so long that I've almost forgotten they aren't native PK-mount glass.
So does the lens come off the camera when you press the lens release button? On the genuine pentax adapter I have to take the lens out by unscrewing it then take the adapter out by depressing the tab that sticks up off the adapter with a paper clip.
11-01-2011, 12:34 PM   #9

I only have one m42 lens, and opted for the cheaper ebay china adapter. Sure, the aperture and focus scales are not at the top, but no big deal. How hard is it to tilt the camera 45 degrees to see it? An unexpected bonus to using the el-cheapo adapter - I placed one end of the removed locking clip between the adapter and the lens and locked the adapter onto the lens - the clip shorts the data pin for me so i can use CiF!

---EDIT---

I haven't noticed any IQ issues with the slight unevenness this provides in the mounting of the lens. YMMV.
Attached Images

Last edited by pezmaker; 11-01-2011 at 12:39 PM.
11-01-2011, 12:58 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Sorry RioRico but getting the clone is a false economy imo. With the genuine article you are not worrying about using a tool, or losing infinity focus or if the tolerances are correct.

Line up with the mount, turn a quarter or less, secure, screw in the lens.
To undo, unscrew lens, press the tension clip and release. Simple as.
That may be so but it's a matter of convenience. With one genuine article, you are using the adapter between multitude of lenses, on the other hand, cheap generic adapters with the screw and clip removed could be torqued on to an m42 lens semi-permanently (in effect, turning an m42 lens into a K mount lens). Mounting and dismounting an m42 lens is a chore; put the adapter on to the lens, mount the lens to the camera, to dismount; unscrew the lens from the adapter, then remove the adapter from the body. If I had to do this each time I use an m42 lens, I wouldn't bother, especially out in the field. As for the tolerances as compared between the genuine adapter and a generic one, a basic set of tools can make even a poorly manufactured, generic adapter work like a charm.
11-01-2011, 01:13 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Seems I've been overruled , cheapo is the way to go.
You're all still wrong of course
11-01-2011, 01:58 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
What is the function of the screw and clip? I have never used an off brand adapter so I don't know.
The screw holds the clip, which latches onto the camera mount. With an Official Pentax, the clip can be depressed with a thumbnail or whatever, to dismount. With cheap clones, it get stuck, and the worthless removal tool just bends when applied. An Official Pentax adapter is best if you plan to leave the adapter in the camera and (un)screw each lens individually. De-clipped clones are best for leaving on lenses.

QuoteQuote:
So does the lens come off the camera when you press the lens release button?
Yes.

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Seems I've been overruled , cheapo is the way to go.
You're all still wrong of course
Everybody's wrong about something. I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.
11-01-2011, 03:28 PM   #13
Veteran Member

What holds the lens on with a de-clipped clone? I have visions of setting a f stop and detaching the lens at the same time.

Other important questions.
Why can't anyone but Pentax make an adapter that works like a Pentax?
Why won't Pentax make some more adapters already. They are out of stock more then in stock.
11-01-2011, 03:34 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
Other important questions.
Why can't anyone but Pentax make an adapter that works like a Pentax?
Why won't Pentax make some more adapters already. They are out of stock more then in stock.
I've wondered the same things.
11-01-2011, 04:35 PM   #15

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
The place I bought my K-r has one in stock. They ordered it for me but I cancelled the order and someone goofed as I got a call recently that it had arrived. I have a problem with the price which is why I cancelled the order. I cannot fathom why such a small piece can cost $69.99 (Canadian not that it makes much difference nowadays) and 12% tax. Seems entirely too much. I do have a fleabay version and I will confess it went on like a dream and I almost died when I tried to remove it. I have since butchered it and removed the spring and it works perfectly for my needs. I'd rather save my money for a lens at this point.