Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2011, 12:01 PM   #1

80-320 FA on a K5 Suitability

Good evening all,

I'm trying to convince the girlfriend NOW is the time to buy my K5 (wish me luck!). Whilst looking around I notice one of the LCE branches (UK) has a silver 80 - 320mm SMC FA zoom.

In your opinion, how does it rate against the much respected 55-300? and how do you think it would fare on the K5?

I'm trying to cut costs, but not at too much expense of quality. I'm interested in this lens combo for wildlife especially bird shooting.

Your thoughts and opinons would be very gratefully received.

Many thanks
Woody

11-02-2011, 12:38 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
IMHO it has 2 disadvantages compared to the DA L 55-300.

1. The front element rotates. Makes it harder to use a polarizer.

2. No bayonet for a lens hood. You have to use a screw in lens hood.

When compared to the DA 55-300 it lacks quick shift focusing. It's also not as sharp wide open and 125g heavier.
11-03-2011, 07:28 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ukwoody Quote
Good evening all,

I'm trying to convince the girlfriend NOW is the time to buy my K5 (wish me luck!). Whilst looking around I notice one of the LCE branches (UK) has a silver 80 - 320mm SMC FA zoom.

In your opinion, how does it rate against the much respected 55-300? and how do you think it would fare on the K5?

I'm trying to cut costs, but not at too much expense of quality. I'm interested in this lens combo for wildlife especially bird shooting.

Your thoughts and opinons would be very gratefully received.

Many thanks
Woody
I historically used an 80-320 fairly extensively and have taken some very nice photos with one. the speed (or lack there of (f/4.5-5.6)
I found to be an issue causing me to move to faster lenses. I also found it unacceptable for use with a converter. The rotating front element can be an issue with a polarizer, but for a lens that is already too slow it didn't bother me as I didn't use one of them ......

But I think you are thinking right---get a good camera body and cheap lenses..... then over time add good lenses as your finances permit.