Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2007, 06:10 AM   #1

Anyone Familiar With Praktica Lenses?

Hi all,

I was trolling the only pawn shop in town a couple of nights ago and ended up buying a new toy. It's a Praktica 135mm f/2.8 M42 mount. $25 CND out the door.

Quick shot of the lens...

A bad sample. Crop of a Christmas light show about 500 yds away.

Seems to be a nice lens in good shape. I can't seem to find anything on this lens on the Internet other than this...

Korea Praktica 135mm f/2.8-22.0 (Medium Telephoto) #252 - M42

It says "Made in Korea" on it so I'm sure that web page is for this lens (all the details match) but that's all I can find. I can't find much on Praktica lenses at all. It seems Praktica was usually a camera and not the lens.

Does anyone have any experience with this lens or other Praktica lenses?

Any info is appreciated.

Slick

12-14-2007, 07:09 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi, Slick!
I'm quite surprised to read Korea. Anyway, search in PRAKTICA-USERS.COM - M42 Lens list, in M 42x1 - tele lenses and in http://www.mflenses.com/pentacon-135mm-f-2.8-32-4.html. Maybe you'll find some useful infos.
Good luck!
12-14-2007, 07:27 AM   #3

Original Poster
Hi Andrei,

Thanks for the links. I had checked those sites before. That's what got my interest up. It seems that Praktica made a lot of lenses but I can't find any marked like mine. Many were Zeiss and Pentacon branded. I can't believe it would be that rare of a lens but maybe it is.

BTW, I'm hoping to go to Romania the next time I go to Europe. It looks like it would be a great place to visit.

Thanks again,

Slick
12-14-2007, 05:18 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Hi Slick

I was also extremely surprised to read your statement that:

QuoteQuote:
It says "Made in Korea" on it
Many moons ago when I was first branching out into photography, I worked at a camera store which used to sell various brands, including Praktica equipment. At the time, Japanese SLR's were unaffordable for someone earning such a low wage and the best I could afford was one of the basic Praktica LTL SLR's. However it turned out to be a great learning experience and by comparison with their Japanese counterparts, these East German (DDR) cameras offered astonishing value for money. Unfortunately, some of their SLR models earned a deserved reputation for having less than reliable internal mechanisms & metering systems, as the quality control in their factories left a great deal to be desired. However, what was NEVER in question was the excellence of their lenses, which is not entirely surprising when you consider what the Russians uncovered twenty years earlier at the end of the Second World War. After the Red Army overran the Zeiss optical factories at Jena which had been abandoned by the defeated Germans, the USSR used the remaining machinery in these premises and staffed them with many of the captured former technicians, utilizing the advanced optical designs that these experts had at their disposal. To the best of my knowledge none of these Zeiss or Pentacon lenses were ever manufactured outside the DDR and this is the main reason why I am highly suspicious of any Praktica lens with 'Made in Korea' stamped on it. Naturally, there may well have been licensing deals in operation about which I know absolutely nothing !

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 12-18-2007 at 06:50 PM.
12-14-2007, 06:25 PM   #5

Original Poster
Hi Confused.

Here's a picture of the stamp...

It's a real puzzle. Usually I can find something on the Internet but not this time.

Thanks for the information, very interesting.

Slick
12-14-2007, 06:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This may help

From the Praktica Users:

Not unlike many camera manufacturers, Praktica sourced all the original lenses from independent makers, and the two major ones were Hugo Meyer of Görlitz, and Carl Zeiss of Jena, both long-established and respected optical houses.

Meyer remained an independent establishment, and after the war, began to trade under the style of VEB Feinoptisches Werk Görlitz, having acquire Curt Bentzin of the same town. It was subsequently acquired by Pentacon as its lens department, and after a brief transitional period, it produced lenses under the Pentacon label. After reunification, Meyer briefly regained its corporate identity and marked its lenses under its own name again.
Photographic lens production was only a small part of the Zeiss business, and in 1985 it acquired Pentacon and numerous other photographic equipment manufacturers in the GDR, along with the right to put its name on some Pentacon products. Some Prakticas were rebadged under the name of Carl Zeiss Jenaflex, and some Pentacon lenses were also rebadged as Zeiss, with the addition of a letter "SP" to signify its origin.

Pentacon also sourced lenses from other manufacturers as well, although not to such a large scale as from Meyer and Zeiss. Among those Sigma of Japan was the most active, supplying several lenses of fixed focal lengths and a variety of zoom lenses. Other suppliers during the B-mount days included Cosina, Cimko, and finally Samyang of Korea produced a moderately comprehensive selection as well.

So- looks like a Samyang manufactured lens...
12-14-2007, 06:49 PM   #7

Original Poster
Good find Tom. I hadn't seen that.

Mystery solved, lol.

Thanks.

Slick
12-14-2007, 06:51 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Hi Slick

A little 'digging' confirmed Tom's info:

QuoteQuote:
Samyang Optical Corp. is a large optical manufacturing factory and the only one in Korea. Any lens stamped Made in Korea comes from Samyang. Samyang lenses have a great reputation and they make some nice sharp lenses at good prices. They might be a little hard to find but Samyang is distributed by Phoenix Corp. out of New York. You can get the Samyang lens from Porter's Camera store in Iowa. Its listed in their catalog under great bargains for $119.00.The ad doesn't say Samyang but call Porter's and they will verify it is. Both of these prices are current as of 8-17-96.
So you learn something new each day.....ain't life grand !

Best regards
Richard

12-14-2007, 07:11 PM   #9

Original Poster
Good deal. The day I stop learning is the day they can put me in the ground...

I was just looking around Google. It seems Samyang makes a lot of mirror lenses now. I still can't find many references to a "Praktica" lens, though. They are all Prakticar, Pentacon, Cosina, Cimko, etc, but almost no Praktica. Not a big deal but I find it odd there's nothing out there. Maybe I got lucky and it's a rare one.

I found this as though...

Praktica B Lenses

Now I just need to learn how to use it. This is my first manual focus lense with a digital. Focusing is tough so far but I'm working on it. Thanks again for everyone's help.

Slick