Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2011, 10:35 AM   #1

zeiss 21 or zeiss 28???

Hello, I want to know, from those with experience, which of the two lenses to choose

If the zeiss 21 f/2,8 zk distagon, or the l 28 distagon zk f/2 ?

I discarded 25 because of the two is the one with the worst resolvents.

I have no interest in the kind of photos, but I just want the lens with better IQ, better colors.

thanks

11-04-2011, 01:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There are two user reviews for the 28 in the review section. None for the 21. These are so rare, not too many people on the forums have them. You might have better luck asking on a canikon site.

Carl Zeiss 28mm f/2 ZK Distagon T* Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
11-04-2011, 01:55 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Found them in a shop on stock, since these are not in production anymore.
11-04-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

One of the 28 reviews is from me, and while I have never tried the 21, I also have 2 other Zeiss' and would feel very confident in saying that the IQ and colors out of the 2 lenses that you are considering would be so close as to be a non-issue in your choice. My 3 Zeiss' all have such similar rendering that I have just come to differentiate them strictly by FL. I find this comforting, as I know exactly what to expect when I buy/use a ZK lens. The 21 is extremely highly regarded, but is quite large and would need to be quite a bit wider to be tempting to me personally. I prefer my 28 to my FA31 and only use the 31 when I need AF.

You'll almost certainly love either lens. I would just get the FL that you think you would enjoy the most.

11-04-2011, 02:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
These are so rare, not too many people on the forums have them. You might have better luck asking on a canikon site.
Agreed, it's going to be hard to get opinions if you stick just to Pentaxians.

Here are the FM reviews though:

21mm f2.8
28mm f2

I've never used either, but both are of course highly regarded. The 21mm seems to be almost have a cult following, though. If I had the money for only one, I'd probably go for the 21mm. Finding an exceptional 20/21mm is a lot harder than finding an exceptional 28mm.
11-04-2011, 02:42 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bollicina31 Quote
Hello, I want to know, from those with experience, which of the two lenses to choose

If the zeiss 21 f/2,8 zk distagon, or the l 28 distagon zk f/2 ?

I discarded 25 because of the two is the one with the worst resolvents.

I have no interest in the kind of photos, but I just want the lens with better IQ, better colors.

thanks
Have 21, it's SHARP-SHARP-SHARP lens with very typical zeiss color rendition. I cannot recomend it until pentax will introduce FF camera though. Buying sony nex-5n + biogon 21 f2.8 is much better idea now, because the distagon is HUGE-HUGE-HUGE as well .
11-04-2011, 02:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Maybe consider the 18mm CZ lens.
11-04-2011, 03:18 PM   #8
Pentaxian

the Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 is widely considered to be one of the best wide-angles ever made.

11-04-2011, 03:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would get the 21mm...
11-04-2011, 04:15 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Photozone has pretty accurate reviews of these lenses. Definitely checking them out. However, it would be a waste using them only on APS-C.
11-04-2011, 04:15 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks for your kids, polite answers.
The 28mm is new, while andthe 21mm is used, but it has done up to 10 pictures in all his life.

I would like them both, but I can not, because I spent hours propio, 635USD for the filter to be 145mm Pentax PF.

I will consider first the 21mm, since it is very rare, but if I am lucky Eil 2 8, maybe I'm in sales ven between 2 months.

If I have time, try a forum, Canon or Nikon USA, and I will try to ask there.

Thank you very much everyone.

31 But I have never used it, I saw that on 21 is very large, but there is no problem, I have seen larger lenses, all you need is a passion
11-04-2011, 06:19 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good Evening,

I posted the first Contax Carl Zeiss review, and as I indicated there, I do like it very much. I have one other Contax CZ lens - the 85/2.8 Sonnar which I like also, and am writing a review for it also.

As I wrote in the review, I went with Contax because I felt it was the same image quality as the newer ZK, but priced substantially less. The main difference with the newer ZK is that it does auto aperture with aperture reporting to the body. The wider angle lenses below the 28mm, the 25mm is somewhat reasonable in price however the Contax 21mm and 18mm are incredibly expensive, equal to or even more costly than the new ZK.

Here are some links for the 21.
Here are some links for the 18.
... and here are some prices from evil bay on the 21
Bottom line, I went with the older lenses, and for me they perform great. I would assume the newer ZKs would perform as well, but I really did not want the hit to my checkbook. Which ever one you select - I think you will be happy - new or old....

11-06-2011, 09:12 AM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
the Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 is widely considered to be one of the best wide-angles ever made.
Within its category... :-)
It is considered to be better than the Leica-R 19 (II-version) - the Zeiss came a couple years later. Probably the best in its range for reflex cameras. Many lenses with the same angle of view will surpass the 21 Distagon, but these lenses will not mount on reflex camera...

The angle of view of the 21 mm lens is rather different from a 28 mm lens - go for what you need regarding angle of view. On an APS-C camera a supercharged 21 mm lens is really an overkill. All this unnecessary glass for huge mirror clearance for nothing. I would assume that the Pentax 21 mm designed for APS-C may not be too much behind the Zeiss. The Zeiss will provide full coverage in case a wonder happens in Pentax land.