Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2011, 09:42 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A-50mm F/2.8 Macro Must Buy?

Is $69 for this lens a steal? Pentax-A 50mm F2.8 Macro Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

So, I'm on a self imposed lens buying moratorium (semi reinforced by the significant other), but I found one locally in pristine condition, took a couple shots with it on my K200D, and it was sharper than I've ever gotten my M 1.7 to be, and I thought that lens was sharp.... So, is this lens so good that I break my integrity to buy it when I said I wasn't buying anymore? Curse you, LBA, curse you!

11-06-2011, 10:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Well, ya, absolutely you buy it. Why? For $69 even after/if you get bored with it you can sell it and make a little bit off of it.

--
11-06-2011, 10:56 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pezmaker Quote
Is $69 for this lens a steal? Pentax-A 50mm F2.8 Macro Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

So, I'm on a self imposed lens buying moratorium (semi reinforced by the significant other), but I found one locally in pristine condition, took a couple shots with it on my K200D, and it was sharper than I've ever gotten my M 1.7 to be, and I thought that lens was sharp.... So, is this lens so good that I break my integrity to buy it when I said I wasn't buying anymore? Curse you, LBA, curse you!
the price is right and the A's give a full use of the exposure automation as well as being optically excellent.
11-06-2011, 11:09 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought this lens off of ebay a while ago for $265, and while I got gouged for sure, I am still glad I bought it. I mostly bought it for macro (which is great), but I have been using it instead of my FA 50mm 1.4 lately because it is so sharp and the close-focus abilities are useful. I have been missing a lot of shots because of it not having autofocus for sure, but it is just such a fun lens to use.

11-06-2011, 12:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

There are two reasons to buy a given lens; either because you need the lens or because the lens is a great deal. An A50/2.8 macro for $69 (assuming ther are no issues) certainly qualifies as the latter, so I'd buy it and worry about whether you want/need it later
11-06-2011, 12:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

It's a steal of a deal. If you don't like it, I'll rob a minimart and pay you US$100 for it. Now where did I put my ski mask... ???
11-06-2011, 01:51 PM   #7

Original Poster
I did it! I couldn't say no. the S.O. wasn't surprised, or apparently angry (time will tell for sure...) So it's not completely pristine - some slight cosmetics on the aperture ring, but that's all. Focus is super smooth, snappy aperture blades, no oil whatsoever, aperture ring turns and clicks and works as expected, auto works. Not a scratch or pockmark in the glass on either side. I'll try to get some shots of it and with it later to post.