Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2007, 04:52 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
DA 21mm Limited : money well spent?

Hello,

As I'm really into landscape/street photography, I was wondering if this lens is worth the money?
I really like primes, don't really care about big heavy zoom lenses for my K100D Super.
So far, I've only been using my kitlens, my M 50 1.7 and zenitar 16mm. I also own a A 35-105.

But the price? Is kinda high or is it really worth it? Or are there other/better alternatives out there for landscape photography? I am not a rich guy, so I would like to keep it decent. And I would like an AF lens this time.

Thanks in advance.
Tom

12-15-2007, 05:26 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Tom:

I have a K100 and the 21. I love the combo. It is my most used lens. These small primes are what drew me to the Pentax line. I have a kit of the 21, 43 and 70. The image quality is outstanding. If you don't care for the zooms I think you will really enjoy this lens. After you use this combo for a few minutes you will forget about the price.

Jerry
12-15-2007, 01:38 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
I originally bought the FA20-35 f/4 zoom. It's a great lens. For a year, I rejected the idea of the DA21 because it was a focal length that I had with no speed advantage. Finally, I broke down and bought it, and I'm very happy. It's my most-used lens. Didn't care much for the hood, so I replaced it with a more standard style hood and it's great.

Mike
12-15-2007, 01:53 PM   #4

For me the all the "DA Limited" lenses (21, 40 & 70mm) are all worth the money. When street shooting with my K10D I put one of these on the body & the other 2 are small enough to fit in my pockets. I don't think you will regret spending the money, it's a nice lens.

12-15-2007, 05:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

For street photography the focal range is perfect (30mm). If you look around for similar lens in this range you would be hard pressed to find a "cheaper" 20-21mm. Most of the older lenses go for about the same price second hand if not more. So id say for the price your getting a bargain for a limited lens. The only alternative prime i can think of is the A 24mm second hand. Unlike ALL 20's - 21mm this one is virtually distortion free and can be had much cheaper on the used circuit.
12-16-2007, 05:35 AM   #6
Tom
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank You for convincing me, my wife will be 'delighted' when she finds out my next purchase will be a 500 Euro glass instead of a new TV-set.....