Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2011, 11:35 AM   #1

sears 135mm macro lens disassembly

I picked this lens up last week, forgot to check aperture function and of course its stuck. Picked up a can of brake parts cleaner and the screw drivers last night. I have this torn down and did not lose the ball bearing or any other screw I read about. I have it torn down to the point where I cant see any more screw to remove. I think I am close to the aperture ring but cant get it torn down further anyone know where I need to go from here? I will say this is easier than watch repair. They are a real pain, and a lot cleaner than Harleys. But I cant find any manuals on line and dont really want to bother a repair shop just yet. I will post a pic of where I am at in a sec.

11-07-2011, 11:42 AM   #2

Original Poster
well photos will have to wait, as usual wifey has "put stuff up" and I have no idea where.
11-07-2011, 03:37 PM   #3
krp
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have the same problem as you, except mine is a non-macro. (I also have a macro version that works fine) It seems like the aperture blades are inside a metal piece that's either glued or cemented together. I haven't been able to figure out how to get it open. But hopefully someone else knows how to access the blades.
11-07-2011, 04:31 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had this lens (non-macro) maybe three years ago so I'm a little fuzzy on the exact details. I started from the front. I took off the "name" trim ring just like a Takumar, but I can't remember if that was necessary. Eventually the whole filter ring/front barrel unscrews. I know I removed the three front elements but again, I don't know if I needed to. I can't remembder doing anything with the focus ring; it must have come off easily.

I believe the rear elements come out in a tube assembly with spanner slots; the whole tube unscrews. The mount and aperture lever come off by just removing the screws you see.

What I remember is, that still wasn't enough to get to the blades. There was an aluminum tube at the center of the lens with 3 or 4 holes in it, maybe 1/4" in diameter. I could access small slotted screws through that and get the lens apart further. I think they used that trick a couple of times. I eventually got an assembly of the six aperture blades and a spring completely off the lens, about silver-dollar size. I soaked the whole thing in mineral spirits overnight, let it dry and that was enough.

11-07-2011, 11:31 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the help with this. My K5 showed up today right before heading off to work so I am a little distracted and will be a couple days before I get back to the Sears lens.
01-10-2012, 10:33 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Time to revive an old thread. I've got the vivitar branded version of the non-macro, I think the same as what you're describing. mount came off with 4 screws, rear element came out easy, just rotated a metal tube off. Focus ring came off with a piece of glass still in it, two elements and two metal placing rings came out, but that's all I got. now what. How to get to the aperture blades? I don't see spanner slots, I don't see anymore screws, I don't see an obvious piece to unscrew.

Also... uh, anyone have a diagram of the elements? I, uh, well, when i pulled the focus ring out, the two inner lenses popped out and I don't know the orientation...

The lens is identical to the one in this review:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/sears-135mm-f2-8-auto-multicoated.html

Last edited by pezmaker; 01-10-2012 at 10:45 PM.
01-11-2012, 12:43 AM   #7

Original Poster
Sorry cant help you, I will not be going into lens repair any time soon