Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2012, 06:54 PM   #76
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Azzy Quote
looking for something even cheaper, doesn't have to be AF since its going to be dedicated to the raynox
There are a few good candidates on the keh site; Pentax Manual Focus Non-Mfg Zoom Lenses - KEH.com

Unfortunately I can't tell you which has sufficient sharpness for your purposes.

You probably should have a zoom out to 200 mm at least. (you'll get a mag of somewhere 1.5x fully extended). There may be vignetting at the short end but there'll be a good range of magnifications to work with.

01-10-2012, 07:04 PM   #77
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
There are a few good candidates on the keh site; Pentax Manual Focus Non-Mfg Zoom Lenses - KEH.com

Unfortunately I can't tell you which has sufficient sharpness for your purposes.

You probably should have a zoom out to 200 mm at least. (you'll get a mag of somewhere 1.5x fully extended). There may be vignetting at the short end but there'll be a good range of magnifications to work with.

Pentax Manual Focus 60-300 F4-5.6 MISCELLANEOUS BRAND MACRO A (67) 35MM SLR MANUAL FOCUS ZOOM STANDARD ANGLE LENS - KEH.com for $33 might be what you need. It is a cosina A type lens and has had good reviews for sharpness. It'd fill your kit back out to 300mm..

Review: http://www.dyxum.com/reviews/lenses/reviews.asp?IDLens=458
01-11-2012, 01:39 AM   #78
Veteran Member

wondering if anyone can recommend a cheap A lens that I can permanently mount the raynox on. I gave my tamron 70-300 away recently and it vignettes on the tamron 28-75 and da 50-135
That's strange. I use the DCR-250 on my widemouth DA18-250 without vignetting.

looking for something even cheaper, doesn't have to be AF since its going to be dedicated to the raynox
I see various 70-210 or 80-200 or 85-205 MF zooms available cheap, like under US$20. These are often fixed-max aperture around f/4 and have not-too-wide front threads. The Korean-made (Samyang) 80-200/4 zooms branded Sears or Albinar or whatever are quite decent, as are the slower Kiron-made f4.5s branded Vivitar or Gifitec or whatever (Kiron serial numbers start with 22). Member atupdate just contacted me about a Gefitec version in KM mount -- you might PM to inquire (QUICKLY!) if it's still available. I don't know the price.

All these I mentioned have 55mm front threads. Fixed-max aperture MF zooms like f/4 are usually better optically than floating-max aperture zooms like f/3.5-4.5. I put my DCR-250 on them with no vignetting. Good luck!

Last edited by RioRico; 01-11-2012 at 01:46 AM.
01-11-2012, 09:43 AM   #79
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
The Korean-made (Samyang) 80-200/4 zooms branded Sears
I think those also have a macro feature and believe it is a 1:3 which would get you even closer with the rayonex. I have one of these lenses (somewhere in the closet) that is literally brand new, shoot me a pm if you are interested in it you can have for a good price...

01-11-2012, 03:56 PM   #80

Original Poster
That's strange. I use the DCR-250 on my widemouth DA18-250 without vignetting.

I see various 70-210 or 80-200 or 85-205 MF zooms available cheap, like under US$20. These are often fixed-max aperture around f/4 and have not-too-wide front threads. The Korean-made (Samyang) 80-200/4 zooms branded Sears or Albinar or whatever are quite decent, as are the slower Kiron-made f4.5s branded Vivitar or Gifitec or whatever (Kiron serial numbers start with 22). Member atupdate just contacted me about a Gefitec version in KM mount -- you might PM to inquire (QUICKLY!) if it's still available. I don't know the price.

All these I mentioned have 55mm front threads. Fixed-max aperture MF zooms like f/4 are usually better optically than floating-max aperture zooms like f/3.5-4.5. I put my DCR-250 on them with no vignetting. Good luck!
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
I think those also have a macro feature and believe it is a 1:3 which would get you even closer with the rayonex. I have one of these lenses (somewhere in the closet) that is literally brand new, shoot me a pm if you are interested in it you can have for a good price...
yes it vignettes quite heavily on the 28-75 and 50-135
Does the sears lens have A feature or is it a full M lens ?
01-11-2012, 04:06 PM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
I've kept two K-AR-mount Sears-Samyang macros: 70-210/4 and 80-200/4; sold a Sears-Samyang 80-200/4 macro in M42 mount; and sold two Albinar-Samyang 80-200/3.9 macros in KM and NI mounts. I was Samyang'ed up the wazoo! And all were like-new. I just didn't need so many clones. All those 80-200's were exact clones except for mounts and lettering. Now I'm a little sorry I didn't keep the M42. But just a little sorry, not much. Thanks for the offer.

Note: All those Samyang macro-zooms cost me an average of US$8 each (shipped) and the three I sold returned over US$16 each. Doubled my money! Ooh ooh!

Last edited by RioRico; 01-11-2012 at 04:13 PM.
01-11-2012, 05:12 PM   #82
Inactive Account

That Cosina PKA 60-300 I mentioned earlier seems to be a good lens in its own behalf & at $33 is pretty inexpensive and would give the extra mag you seek (or sought) plus extra reach for birds. The Raynox will not improve the lens it is mounted on.

Last edited by newarts; 01-11-2012 at 05:17 PM.
01-11-2012, 10:56 PM   #83
Veteran Member

So I decide to add a macro lens to my arsenal, anyone know any cheapo but goody macro lens (doesn't have to be af)
The best deal I found on a Macro lens is an older, Sigma 90mm f/2.8. Mine is an AF version and I Ebayed it for $140. It is only 1:2 macro, without the usually-supplied correction lens. It has a focus limiter and is smoking sharp. In fact, I am still trying ot decide if it, or the Sigma 150mm f2.8 is sharper. Seriously, highly recommend if you can find one.

Best

JT

01-12-2012, 09:20 AM   #84
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I found a Sigma 90mm f2.8 also with the matched macro adapter. Mine is the MF version which is fine for macro. Very sharp, minimum focus to about 20cm, long throw for focusing, and it works nicely for portrait as well.
01-12-2012, 03:44 PM   #85

Original Poster
That Cosina PKA 60-300 I mentioned earlier seems to be a good lens in its own behalf & at $33 is pretty inexpensive and would give the extra mag you seek (or sought) plus extra reach for birds. The Raynox will not improve the lens it is mounted on.
I've kept two K-AR-mount Sears-Samyang macros: 70-210/4 and 80-200/4; sold a Sears-Samyang 80-200/4 macro in M42 mount; and sold two Albinar-Samyang 80-200/3.9 macros in KM and NI mounts. I was Samyang'ed up the wazoo! And all were like-new. I just didn't need so many clones. All those 80-200's were exact clones except for mounts and lettering. Now I'm a little sorry I didn't keep the M42. But just a little sorry, not much. Thanks for the offer.

Note: All those Samyang macro-zooms cost me an average of US$8 each (shipped) and the three I sold returned over US$16 each. Doubled my money! Ooh ooh!
'

Are these A or M lens ?

Meanwhile I scratch the macro itch by mounting the raynox on the f*300mm and I had evil idea to add 1.7x TC in front of it, anyone know what's the actual mag lvl with this ?
Its insanely hard to shoot with this combination heh.
Here's a shot of a zipper with this combo and off camera flash....can't wait for spring to come
01-12-2012, 05:55 PM   #86
Veteran Member

Are these A or M lens ?
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico:
I've kept two K-AR-mount Sears-Samyang macros: 70-210/4 and 80-200/4; sold a Sears-Samyang 80-200/4 macro in M42 mount; and sold two Albinar-Samyang 80-200/3.9 macros in KM and NI mounts.
K-AR is A-type with Ricoh-nub or -pin -- no toxic Ricoh-pins here!
KM is M-type, with only mechanical aperture linkage.
Screwmount is screwmount. Ay yi yi.

QuoteQuote:
Meanwhile I scratch the macro itch by mounting the raynox on the f*300mm and I had evil idea to add 1.7x TC in front of it, anyone know what's the actual mag lvl with this ?
Easy way to find out is to shoot a metric ruler. Your frame size is ~24x18mm. If you can only get 6mm of the ruler in a frame horizontally, you're around 4x.

QuoteQuote:
Its insanely hard to shoot with this combination heh.
Yup.

One trick: Tripod the camera securely. Focus, and engage LiveView. Move the subject slowly until it looks good. Then hit the remote. This is why hardcores buy focusing rails.

PS: Nice shot!
01-12-2012, 06:07 PM   #87
Inactive Account

'

Are these A or M lens ?
The Cosina is a A type lens

QuoteQuote:

I did not realize you have an F*300; I wouldn't expect the Cosina + Raynox would be as good.

Your result with the 1.7x front TC looks surprisingly good, but I don't know how to predict the actual mag with any confidence. I'd appreciate seeing a calibration shot of a ruler. I've heard that such TC's magnify less for close-ups than when focus is at infinity.
01-15-2012, 09:26 AM   #88

Original Poster
K-AR is A-type with Ricoh-nub or -pin -- no toxic Ricoh-pins here!
KM is M-type, with only mechanical aperture linkage.
Screwmount is screwmount. Ay yi yi.

Easy way to find out is to shoot a metric ruler. Your frame size is ~24x18mm. If you can only get 6mm of the ruler in a frame horizontally, you're around 4x.

Yup.

One trick: Tripod the camera securely. Focus, and engage LiveView. Move the subject slowly until it looks good. Then hit the remote. This is why hardcores buy focusing rails.

PS: Nice shot!
Thanks Rio

The Cosina is a A type lens

I did not realize you have an F*300; I wouldn't expect the Cosina + Raynox would be as good.

Your result with the 1.7x front TC looks surprisingly good, but I don't know how to predict the actual mag with any confidence. I'd appreciate seeing a calibration shot of a ruler. I've heard that such TC's magnify less for close-ups than when focus is at infinity.
I have some IQ issue with this lens but It was shot @ f54 so it better look good lol