Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2011, 09:24 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dreamfall Quote
What I have is a km/k2000 with kit lens and DA40.

I love my DA40, but now as my baby gets 7 months old. I find it harder and harder to focus. The auto focus of km is crappy! I always have a 45w bulb, equal to 130w, in the room at least. But the focusing is too slow.

All I need is to get fairly clear photos of my baby in the room. My question is, is it necessary to upgrade to other entry level SLR cameras like canon t3i with 50mm lens? My budget is 1k to buy new gears.

Any suggestion would be appreciated!
Before buying anything, post some samples of your missed shots to confirm that the problem is autofocus and not motion blur. What shutter speeds do you usually get? If you shoot at 1/50 or slower, I expect you'll get a lot of motion blur with a kid and it may look like it's bad focus.

And if autofocus is slow, nothing beats manual focus as a cheaper alternative. Just saying...

11-08-2011, 10:53 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Before buying anything, post some samples of your missed shots to confirm that the problem is autofocus and not motion blur. What shutter speeds do you usually get? If you shoot at 1/50 or slower, I expect you'll get a lot of motion blur with a kid and it may look like it's bad focus.

And if autofocus is slow, nothing beats manual focus as a cheaper alternative. Just saying...
I agree with you. Sometimes I shoot around 1/50 with DA40, ISO 800 and inside the house. A fast moving baby could be blurred easily. Unfortunately km doesn't perform well under higher ISO. Also, I couldn't always put more light in the room.
Other times, however, I can feel the auto focus is slow, my km is confused about where to focus and then the right moment of shooting is gone.
A better camera body is really needed.

My km has a shutter count of 7k. Without any packages, I think the km and the two DAL lenses can only sell around 300. I am looking for deals of other brands. But before I can afford a much better lens than DA40. I'll keep the km with my DA40 for a while or maybe, forever. You can't even tell it's DSLR when the km goes with DA40.

Thanks.
11-09-2011, 12:35 AM   #18
Forum Member

The second hand K5's are rocketing down in price and are seriously good value.
11-09-2011, 12:38 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dreamfall Quote
I agree with you. Sometimes I shoot around 1/50 with DA40, ISO 800 and inside the house. A fast moving baby could be blurred easily. Unfortunately km doesn't perform well under higher ISO. Also, I couldn't always put more light in the room.
Other times, however, I can feel the auto focus is slow, my km is confused about where to focus and then the right moment of shooting is gone.
A better camera body is really needed.
Well, maybe a faster lens is needed. Your camera needs light for AF and f/2.8 only lets a quarter of the light that an f/1.4 lens would let through. Try an FA 50/1.4 and you may find that you get both faster shutter speeds and more responsive AF.

Practice some manual focusing too - you might be surprised how successful you can be that way.

11-09-2011, 04:00 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not only will a K5 give you a few extra stops in high ISO but it has a very fast screw motor which will give new life to
your DA40.