Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2011, 01:11 PM   #1

Do I need to upgrade?

What I have is a km/k2000 with kit lens and DA40.

I love my DA40, but now as my baby gets 7 months old. I find it harder and harder to focus. The auto focus of km is crappy! I always have a 45w bulb, equal to 130w, in the room at least. But the focusing is too slow.

All I need is to get fairly clear photos of my baby in the room. My question is, is it necessary to upgrade to other entry level SLR cameras like canon t3i with 50mm lens? My budget is 1k to buy new gears.

Any suggestion would be appreciated!

11-08-2011, 01:20 PM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by dreamfall Quote
What I have is a km/k2000 with kit lens and DA40.

I love my DA40, but now as my baby gets 7 months old. I find it harder and harder to focus. The auto focus of km is crappy! I always have a 45w bulb, equal to 130w, in the room at least. But the focusing is too slow.

All I need is to get fairly clear photos of my baby in the room. My question is, is it necessary to upgrade to other entry level SLR cameras like canon t3i with 50mm lens? My budget is 1k to buy new gears.

Any suggestion would be appreciated!
I just made the upgrade from the KM to the K5, I just purchased the body for $1070. I can't really comment on the autofocus speed between the two cameras as I've only had the K5 for a week but so far I am loving my new K5. Shooting indoors, you would benefit from the ISO performance, I was amazed at the high ISO images compared to my KM.

Personally I'd look into this instead of the Canon since you already have Pentax lenses. (see comparison here).
11-08-2011, 01:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you upgrade, with the $1000 budget you could get a Kr and use the high ISO capabilities of the body paired with that DA40 to get shots that is light years ahead of that t3i and 50 (I know as a friend of mine shoots with it and it is not a good performer especially in low light). The Kr will cost way cheaper than the $1000 and you can sell the K2000 here on the forums - so a very minimal investment will get you up and shooting great pics of you baby!

Edit: As Jen noted above, another option is the K5, may be a wee bit overkill if all you will be shooting is your baby...

11-08-2011, 01:26 PM   #4

Thanks Joe, I was just about to post again mentioning the K-r. I haven't used it so I'm not to familiar with it but I've heard good things.

Here is a comparison between the T3i and KR... Canon T3i vs Pentax K-r

11-08-2011, 01:31 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well I think holding on to that 40mm lens is a very good idea!
11-08-2011, 01:37 PM   #6
Pentaxian

just looked at it, and even though they put the Canon above the Pentax. If you look closely yourself, I would say, the Pentax is the better camera
11-08-2011, 01:38 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks.

Several friends also recommend da 50-135mm. This lens is decent and will be very useful to take photos of baby.

I am considering of shifting to other brands because I don't have many lenses now and need to upgrade the body.
11-08-2011, 01:45 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Get a used k-5! It will get you better IQ than any intro-level camera and you can probably pick one up for 800 bucks or so.

11-08-2011, 01:46 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
If you upgrade, with the $1000 budget you could get a Kr and use the high ISO capabilities of the body paired with that DA40 to get shots that is light years ahead of that t3i and 50 (I know as a friend of mine shoots with it and it is not a good performer especially in low light). The Kr will cost way cheaper than the $1000 and you can sell the K2000 here on the forums - so a very minimal investment will get you up and shooting great pics of you baby!

Edit: As Jen noted above, another option is the K5, may be a wee bit overkill if all you will be shooting is your baby...

"light years ahead of that t3i and 50". I also doubt how the t3i with 50mm will perform.

"all you will be shooting is your baby" Well, I used to shoot everything before my baby was born.
11-08-2011, 01:48 PM   #10
axl
Inactive Account

In K mount there are VERY FEW lenses that would beat DA40 in AF speed.
Canon is generally regarded as much faster in AF but then again, I don't think their EF50/1.8 MkII (and definitely Mk I) is better than DA40ltd. Besides, shooting with longer lenses with faster apertures will introduce reduced DOF and that's not always ideal with kids.
With your budget I'd hold on to DA40, sell K-m for whatever you can and get K-r or even K-7. If possible K-5. If you really think lens is the problem (but trust me, it's not) look for F/FA50/1.7. Stunning lenses, with excellent wide open IQ and nearly as DA40 fast AF.

my 2p
11-08-2011, 01:51 PM - 1 Like   #11
axl
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
.... all you will be shooting is your baby...

no gear is an overkill if it will deliver keepers of memories that his current equipment (for whatever reason) can't.
Those precious moments with growing up kids are well worth the best possible gear...
11-08-2011, 01:57 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
In K mount there are VERY FEW lenses that would beat DA40 in AF speed.
Canon is generally regarded as much faster in AF but then again, I don't think their EF50/1.8 MkII (and definitely Mk I) is better than DA40ltd. Besides, shooting with longer lenses with faster apertures will introduce reduced DOF and that's not always ideal with kids.
With your budget I'd hold on to DA40, sell K-m for whatever you can and get K-r or even K-7. If possible K-5. If you really think lens is the problem (but trust me, it's not) look for F/FA50/1.7. Stunning lenses, with excellent wide open IQ and nearly as DA40 fast AF.

my 2p
Your advice is very helpful and persuasive.
I love DA40 and this is one of the reasons I hold on to pentax. Another reason is I can't find many decent lenses in other brands within my budget.
11-08-2011, 02:02 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Kr is a good option. k5 is the best option but pricy.
da*50-135 is very good, but still slow some time when i need to hunt the kids, a bit pricy.
also tamron 28-75 f2.8 is cheap and very good optic.

however, AF in dim light is not a good working condition. I use to have a LED flash light to aid AF when needed.
I also learn the strobist way - using radio trigger and cheap manual flashes to catch my kids.

hoanpham's Album: Flash fun - PentaxForums.com

You may need FA50/1.4 to get low light, artistic bokeh look (check my private album here):

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/hoanpham-albums-misc-picture30129.jpg

Have fun ;-)
11-08-2011, 03:55 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Those precious moments with growing up kids are well worth the best possible gear
Come on now, we are trying to keep them with Pentax, don't steer them towards Leica...
11-08-2011, 06:39 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I sold my DA40 to fund a portion of my DA35ltd. While the 35 is (imo) superior in color/depth rendering and has macro, I miss the 40 for everything else. New body is always nice, but consider a cheaper interim step to pick up a used fz360 flash (<$200) and bounce it. I found the combo of da40 and that flash great - would help settle the issue w/ indoors light and make for a solid outdoor nighttime setup as well.