Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2011, 02:27 PM   #16
MJL
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I use 2 words to describe ring flash.
"CLINICAL" if the subject is small as in macro photography.
"SURREAL" if the flash is powerful enough to do half/full length portrait due to the halo.

11-09-2011, 03:22 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What a great bunch of replies that far exceed my expectation! Thanks everyone for chiming in.

Laurentiu thanks for the images and link to your flickr ring flash shots. Masterful work indeed! After viewing them there is no question that a ring flash is something I want in my tool kit. I don't think any tool is a be all end all for every situation. You have shown me that a ring flash in the right hands enables creative expression. What more could I ask for from a tool.

Rio > "Remember that we're capturing light, not subjects." I like that!

Last edited by riff; 11-09-2011 at 03:39 PM.
11-09-2011, 04:51 PM   #18
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
I quite like the ring flash catch lights it puts into a models eyes ............................................

no one else, just me then.
11-10-2011, 10:27 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yesterday we had sun for the first time in a while so I took advantage of it to do some macros with extension tubes.

I had fun, learned a bunch and even got a few decent shoots out of the ~200.

I found this is a whole different kettle of fish then shooting small things with zoom. It's cold out so I'm inside I can't keep walking until I find something interesting in good light. Sunlight thru the window even with some help from "tree filters" didn't produce good light often. I need to create my own lighting.

My setup is pretty dodgey, M42 to K mount with the clip removed that came with a lens. Two M42 extension tubes that do not engage the camera flange at all. So the lens is lose enough that it takes two hands to focus a tak. It also leaks light sometimes, perhaps always and has enough play to make framing a real treat. I have a 3 piece Pentax OEM tube set coming but I expect it will be the same. I need a flanged adapter or something cause this really sucks.

I moved the subject and or tripod to get roughly focused and used the lens to fine tune. Inconvenient but workable inside, this won't float at all outside. I need a focusing rail and maybe a stage a bit later on.

I had trouble framing often unable to get all the object I wanted in frame and in focus. Like a flower with the petals cut off for example. I'm thinking a belows would solve that?

Interesting stuff I'm liking it.

11-11-2011, 01:09 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
Yesterday we had sun for the first time in a while so I took advantage of it to do some macros with extension tubes.

I had fun, learned a bunch and even got a few decent shoots out of the ~200.

I found this is a whole different kettle of fish then shooting small things with zoom. It's cold out so I'm inside I can't keep walking until I find something interesting in good light. Sunlight thru the window even with some help from "tree filters" didn't produce good light often. I need to create my own lighting.

My setup is pretty dodgey, M42 to K mount with the clip removed that came with a lens. Two M42 extension tubes that do not engage the camera flange at all. So the lens is lose enough that it takes two hands to focus a tak. It also leaks light sometimes, perhaps always and has enough play to make framing a real treat. I have a 3 piece Pentax OEM tube set coming but I expect it will be the same. I need a flanged adapter or something cause this really sucks.

I moved the subject and or tripod to get roughly focused and used the lens to fine tune. Inconvenient but workable inside, this won't float at all outside. I need a focusing rail and maybe a stage a bit later on.

I had trouble framing often unable to get all the object I wanted in frame and in focus. Like a flower with the petals cut off for example. I'm thinking a belows would solve that?

Interesting stuff I'm liking it.
This is my solution to the loose m42 to K adapter (last reply to thread): https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110979-m42-scre...ml#post1621517

You don't need a micrometer stage set up for most macro, something like this would do: 2 Way Macro Focusing Rail Slider K4G for Nikon Canon | eBay If you look around, you might find some even cheaper.