Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2011, 06:35 PM   #31

Original Poster
great discussion. yea as soon as i took of my kit lens to put the new (old) lens on, i was like woah what a difference.

so does anyone know why my shutter might be defaulting to 0.3 when i am hiting the green button'? it doesn't happen ALL the time, but sometimes, especially when i notice the light is really super bright?? i can't figure it out.

11-18-2011, 06:36 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think it's something about updating the firmware? But I'm not 100% sure. An expert will comment on this soon!
11-18-2011, 06:41 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jennverr Quote
so does anyone know why my shutter might be defaulting to 0.3 when i am hiting the green button'? it doesn't happen ALL the time, but sometimes, especially when i notice the light is really super bright?? i can't figure it out.
I think that's happened to me a time or two on my K-x. I didn't think too much about it at the time, and just wrote it off as "one of those things".
11-18-2011, 06:47 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Actually, CIF works with AF lenses too. The trick: set AF to AF.S, hold down the lens-lock button and the shutter, and the shutter will fire only when focus confirmation is achieved.
Hold down the lens release button? I never would have thought of that, but will give it a try. Nice tip!

11-18-2011, 07:01 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jennverr Quote
Hey Jennver whenever this happened to me it was in bright conditions with too large an aperture letting in too much light for the camera to meter, a Kx in my case. At least those were the conditions under which it happened. Selecting a smaller aperture solved the problem. Why 0.3sec, I don't know.
Bruce
11-18-2011, 07:07 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Hold down the lens release button? I never would have thought of that, but will give it a try. Nice tip!
I would never have thought of it either. That's a trick that gets circulated here as part of our oral tradition. Pass it on!
11-18-2011, 07:57 PM   #37

Original Poster
Bruce, I think that might have been what was happening. I'll try closing the aperture a bit next time and see if it helps! thanks all!
11-18-2011, 11:52 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mychael Quote
I was not thinking so much the lens still being manual. Rather the construction of the old lenses just seems to me to be more solid.. Heavier yes which is a trade off but they just feel better built to me then modern lenses.
What modern lenses have you tried? Leica, Zeiss, Voigtlander build better lenses now than were ever built in the manual focusing era. The Pentax Limited series is as well built as you can expect an AF lens to be. The long Canon L lenses are as well built as any old tele lens.

AF is an issue because it led to the use of lighter materials so that the focusing barrel can be rotated quickly and stopped on a dime with little inertia - that's why they use aluminum for Limiteds and why they feel a bit flimsier than a Takumar. AF also made photography possible for everyone and that in turn led to high demand for cheap equipment which gave birth to the modern kit lenses.

Not that the kit lenses are that bad - they can teach a lesson in optics to many old well built lenses.

11-19-2011, 05:24 AM   #39
Site Supporter

I was thinking more type for type. Leica, Zeiss etc would have been then as I assume now premium products. I'm not familier with Canon stuff.
More the mainstream Pentax against their counterparts from previous generation, I would not put limited series into the equation.

I think your point about AF is the big thing I overlooked, naturally you'd want as light a lens as possible for speed and motor life as well I guess.
11-19-2011, 06:43 AM   #40
Pentaxian

I think that plastic lenses kind of get a bum rap in terms of durability. Plastic is pretty durable stuff, and I don't know that a metal lens dropped on the ground will necessarily fare better than a plastic lens. I think there is at least as good a chance of the metal bending or denting as there is of plastic breaking. I also suspect that the plastic case of a lens would absorb a shock better than a metal case
11-19-2011, 12:29 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I think that plastic lenses kind of get a bum rap in terms of durability. Plastic is pretty durable stuff, and I don't know that a metal lens dropped on the ground will necessarily fare better than a plastic lens.
Not all plastics are created equal. The 'plastic' in lens elements and bases is often polycarbonate AKA Lexan, which is *extremely* durable. And not cheap. You don't want to know what we paid for Lexan windscreens for our recumbent bikes. Could have bought a set of Limiteds...
11-19-2011, 05:00 PM   #42
Veteran Member

More the mainstream Pentax against their counterparts from previous generation, I would not put limited series into the equation.
Why not? That is the series that caters to people that still cares about build quality. The DA 40 Limited is the direct counterpart of the M 40.
11-19-2011, 05:03 PM   #43
Site Supporter

Did they even have a limited series back in the 'M' and 'A' days of manual lenses?
11-19-2011, 06:05 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Did they even have a limited series back in the 'M' and 'A' days of manual lenses?
Back then photography itself had Limited appeal.
11-20-2011, 01:30 PM   #45

Original Poster
did a bit more test shooting today, after i learned how to activate the "catch-in focus" mode. I think it helped a ton.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF