Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2011, 04:44 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Sigma 24mm Super-Wide vs. Sigma 24mm Super-Wide II

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Can anyone explain the difference between these two lenses?

Here's a link to a Super-Wide that was sold recently on e-bay:

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

And here's a link to a Super-Wide II that is currently listed on e-bay:

Sigma 24mm f/2.8 Super Wide II 1:4 Macro A Mount Lens Pentax KA/K7/PKA/K10D | eBay

Anybody have experience using both these lenses? There are many reviews here of the Super-Wide II (in the lens database), but no mention of the plain old Super-Wide.

Mike

11-09-2011, 04:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I had the Super Wide 2 manual focus, until I found an AF copy. If I were you, I'd pass on both of these and look for an AF Super Wide 24mm. My impression is that the AF version is sharper than the MF version. AF copies show up on PF from time to time with prices between $200 and $250.
11-09-2011, 06:14 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Super Wide is manual only, the Super Wide 2 has auto aperture.
11-09-2011, 08:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The Super Wide is manual only, the Super Wide 2 has auto aperture.

Exactly. Model II added the "A" position on the aperture ring.

11-10-2011, 06:25 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you for your replies. It's curious there is no information out there about the plain old Super-Wide, the one you have identified as lacking the "A" position on the aperture ring. Are the optics the same?

Looking at the two versions from the side, the markings on the aperture ring appear to be exactly the same. Both versions have an "A" mark. A noticeable difference is the pattern on the rubber focus ring, which is kind of slanted on the Super-Wide II.

Does anyone have any experience shooting with the older lens?

Mike
11-12-2011, 08:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used both the Sigma mini-wide and mini-wide II (the 28mm lenses of the same vintage) and they seemed identical optically. I'm not sure if that helps or not!