Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2011, 01:52 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I went to many indoor event..one problem with fast lense is that the light is ususally very dim in these kind event..sometimes close to dark..
so I do not know how u guys with fast lens like f1.4 manage to maintain high focus accuacy
my k5 with 16-50..I find when I use f2.8..the missing focus rate is very high...so I usually stick to f4 to f5.6 with flash.

11-15-2011, 06:26 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
joe.penn,

you have some valid points (and some oversimplifications. Flash will not sharpen an image but will let you close the aperture until the lens is at a sharper setting). But we are talking about someone shooting their first wedding, so I'd say keep it simple and avoid ruining the experience by having too much to think about.
11-15-2011, 10:18 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
But we are talking about someone shooting their first wedding, so I'd say keep it simple and avoid ruining the experience by having too much to think about
True

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Flash will not sharpen an image
Well, yes and no, gets a little complex.

[Placeholder For Test To Show/Explain How A Flash Can Manipulate Sharpness] <- Will take a couple pics either today or tomorrow to post and show end result with explanation on the technique...

---
11-17-2011, 09:16 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
using flash during the church ceremony is simply very distracting and many people will feel it disturbes the ceremony
I've been at a wedding (as a guest) where the vicar actually stopped and asked the photographer to remove his flashgun... Both Vicar and Photographer were pretty 'red-faced' for entirely different reasons...

11-18-2011, 01:21 PM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
It doesn't really matter too much whether it's manual or P-TTL, just one you can set relatively quickly and get the results you want.
I just wanted to warn you. I've found that when I get lazy and use P-TTL, I end up with a bunch of nice shots of people with their eyes closed (many people seem to react fast enough to blink from the pre-flash before the shutter opens). I recommend either using the Auto mode or manual flash. It's not as hard as you might think to use manual flash. You just have to get a feel for it. After chimping a few shots, you'll be able to set the flash right the first time most of the time.

Always bounce the flash, diffuse it, and/or move it off camera if possible, unless you are desperate (deer in the headlight shots are better than no shots, but not much better).
11-18-2011, 01:26 PM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
I've been at a wedding (as a guest) where the vicar actually stopped and asked the photographer to remove his flashgun... Both Vicar and Photographer were pretty 'red-faced' for entirely different reasons...
Yes, I've never shot photos at a wedding where flash was allowed during the ceremony itself. I also remember one wedding where the photographer was all over the stage to get "good shots" during the ceremony, but it seemed to me that he detracted more as a distraction than his possibly better photos could possibly have been worth.