Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2011, 10:24 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax KX Wedding photography

Hi,

Ive just started getting into wedding photography using the standard lense kit and I was wondering what would be the best lense and flash kit for the job?

Many thanks

Kiran

11-10-2011, 10:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, there are a lot more things to think about besides lenses and a single flash:

Softboxes
Flash stands
Multiple flashes
Triggers for flashes
Light deflectors (great to have if shooting outside)
Flash brackets (for when using the flash on camera)
Flash diffuser (to soften light when using the hot shoe flash on the camera attached to the flash bracket )

That is just a few things you may/will need.

11-10-2011, 10:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Why don't you see if you can work as a second shooter at a wedding and learn from a pro? They'll have all the equipment and you can find out what you'll need for the various situations. I wouldn't want to screw up someone's wedding and get chased down by an angry bride.
11-10-2011, 11:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I did a wedding a month or so back... the kit I used was:

K-x
Tamron 17-50mm 2.8
FA50mm 1.4
Hoya 135mm 2.8
Lightstand/umbrella
Vivitar 285hv
Yongnuo YN560
Cactus V4's (flash triggers)
CTO gels

I had other lenses and stuff with me, but listed is what I actually used...

11-10-2011, 12:09 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Kiran, if you're considering doing a wedding with the kit lens, then you may find yourself constrained to its limitations.
Nevertheless, having an external flash is vital, and I'd also add in a fast lens of whatever focal length you can find. There are times when flash is not suitable (both creatively and practically) and there will be times when it is absolutely crucial - it's being able to judge this difference that will make your results work for you. The flash must bounce and swivel and be a tool you are comfortable using effectively - it doesn't really matter too much whether it's manual or P-TTL, just one you can set relatively quickly and get the results you want.
11-10-2011, 01:33 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Beauty dishes could probably be used also instead of soft boxes.
11-11-2011, 02:54 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for all the advice

Ive done some work alongside photographers and I have started to buy some equipment it was just the lenses that I was unsure about.

Again thanks for everyones help

Kiran
11-11-2011, 03:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Don't forget you could always rent the glass. Personally, I wouldn't go into one with anything less than a 2.8 zoom and a very knowledgeable base regarding bounce flash. You "might" not need a flash modifier but you will certainly be bouncing light off of larger sources to get a softer image.

11-11-2011, 06:13 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Softboxes
Flash stands
Multiple flashes
Triggers for flashes
Light deflectors (great to have if shooting outside)
Flash brackets (for when using the flash on camera)
Flash diffuser (to soften light when using the hot shoe flash on the camera attached to the flash bracket
For a WEDDING?

The weddings I've been to, as a guest or a photographer, would never have allowed anyone to use that stuff. A few fast lenses, a powerful flash (if allowed in the church), a backup body, are all I'll ever consider.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiran6790 Quote
Ive done some work alongside photographers and I have started to buy some equipment it was just the lenses that I was unsure about.
Pentax has a great two-lenses wedding duo : 16-50 and 50-135, both f2,8. If I was into weddings more than I am now, that's what I would use. I'd refrain from using a lens slower than f2,8 if flash is not allowed.

If you CAN use a flash, then a convenient lens like a 17-70, plus another lens like a fast 100mm or so (or the 50-135 again) mounted on a second body, would be all the gear I'd bring. I would probably bring my fast wider primes (like a fast 50) but use them only if the situation calls for it and timing makes it possible.
11-12-2011, 07:52 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
For a WEDDING?

The weddings I've been to, as a guest or a photographer, would never have allowed anyone to use that stuff. A few fast lenses, a powerful flash (if allowed in the church), a backup body, are all I'll ever consider.

Pentax has a great two-lenses wedding duo : 16-50 and 50-135, both f2,8. If I was into weddings more than I am now, that's what I would use. I'd refrain from using a lens slower than f2,8 if flash is not allowed.

If you CAN use a flash, then a convenient lens like a 17-70, plus another lens like a fast 100mm or so (or the 50-135 again) mounted on a second body, would be all the gear I'd bring. I would probably bring my fast wider primes (like a fast 50) but use them only if the situation calls for it and timing makes it possible.
I very much agree: fast lenses are basic ingredients for weddings. I never used a flash inside the church and always relied on the ambient light and fast lenses. This is not only a question of whether a flash is allowed or not. It is at least as much about preserving the mood of the ceremony.

After the church ceremony, fast lenses are still useful during the party, as a wide open lens is the only way to pick out single faces in a crowd. Ofcourse that also works in combination with a flash.

My usual wedding equipment consists of
10-20mm zoom for taking in the whole hall or reception party outside and doing some basic shots of the whole setting
24/2.0 as a kind of a wide standard lens (on a DSLR)
31/1.8 or 35/2.0
50/1.4 or 1.2
85/1.4
I do carry the 70-200/2.8, but use it rarely except for receptions outside and also I sometimes use the 16-50/2.8 for sheer lazyness, to reduce the amopunt of lens changing.

As a wedding is usually one of the most important days in the lifes of the couple, you need to excersice extra care, not to ruin the shots and the day. Therefor I always have a third camera body with me as a spare, when one of my two main cameras fails (it happens and it happend to me). The same goes for on camera flash guns and ofcourse for batteries. I have loads of them with me (and sticky tape, some small tools etc.) For flash batteries I prefer the Quantum turbos, because they allow for very fast flash recycle and have a very high capacity - very convenient.

Ben
11-12-2011, 08:13 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
This is not only a question of whether a flash is allowed or not. It is at least as much about preserving the mood of the ceremony.
I agree with this statement to and extent. The glass is essential....but where I disagree is capturing the mood. If you know how to manipulate your flash with a speedlight....and can blend the ambient and flash together, you won't lose any mood and will just fill in the shadows. Some of the best wedding photogs out there will bounce their flash every chance they get and it still looks like its 100% ambient. Neil vanNiekerk comes to mind.....

But yes....Ben is correct and also dropped some important nuggets by mentioning recycling times etc.....I would certainly default to him regarding the wedding questions. He's got the experience.
11-12-2011, 09:34 AM   #12
Veteran Member

ONE Kx ? First thing you should do is buy another Kx (or better still Kr/K5 and use your Kx as back-up). If your Kx fails for any reason then you are royally xxxxxd !
11-12-2011, 09:46 AM   #13
Veteran Member

For a WEDDING?
Absolutely 100% (sounds like the OP may be serious about it)

Shots outside at the/a church fountain where the subject is backlit (why is the subject(s) backlit? 100% of the time there is bright sunlight they will be as we can't have them facing the sun and squinting), the classic "bride and groom getting into the limo" shot being backlit, the outdoor wedding shots (yes, people do get married outdoors) where you are shooting at and away from the sun, and countless other situations where you might need that equipment. Sure, we can say F the diffusers and just use the harsh flash, but do professionals actually do that?

Oh, lets not forget that everyone is mentioning fast lenses - oh, if you rely on fast lenses and just end up at a wedding with those, don't forget ND filters for when the shots move outside in super bright sunlight in the winter months - or do we just half ass it and not use ND filters and not worry about fine DOF control?

[Read this and remember it, this will change your photography for the better guaranteed] FLASH IS NOT JUST FOR LOW LIGHT SHOOTING
And when talking flash, I am not just talking about a flash unit!

Did you know that you can manipulate a photos sharpness just by using a flash? Just as you can change the DOF appearance of a photo using flash? You can also manipulate countless other things with a flash.

No Offense To Anyone In This Thread

Don't want to be prepared? You may end up looking like these worthless photographers -> Newlyweds win court battle with 1,500 wedding photographer after shoddy pictures include missing heads and car close-ups | Mail Online

The craziest thing about the above - the BEST PHOTO out of that group is #4, the photo sucks but could have been saved with a FLASH.

If I were to pay someone to shoot my wedding and they f'd up shots because they did not have the correct equipment on hand (loss of detail in images, severe backlit images, etc) not only will they not get payed, they will more than likely get a couple of foots up their ass.

Kiran, you will benefit the most by first educating yourself on the FUNDAMENTALS of wedding photography, which can be found in this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Wedding-Photography-Professional-Techniques/dp/081...f=cm_lmf_img_6

You may also benefit quite a bit by trolling forums that are specifically setup for wedding photographers, more than likely you will find professionals on these boards that specialize in it.

Now, lets go back to the quote:
For a WEDDING?
Absolutely 100% (sounds like the OP may be serious about it)

11-13-2011, 01:43 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Deiberson Quote
I agree with this statement to and extent. The glass is essential....but where I disagree is capturing the mood. If you know how to manipulate your flash with a speedlight....and can blend the ambient and flash together, you won't lose any mood and will just fill in the shadows. Some of the best wedding photogs out there will bounce their flash every chance they get and it still looks like its 100% ambient. Neil vanNiekerk comes to mind.....

But yes....Ben is correct and also dropped some important nuggets by mentioning recycling times etc.....I would certainly default to him regarding the wedding questions. He's got the experience.
I don't deny the value of bounce flash - and getting the balance right, sure will preserve the mood. Just that I never shot in a church, where the ceiling was low enough and bright enough for bouncing. It could have been possible in a small chapel, though. But there is one thing I did not mention, which I personally find very important: using flash during the church ceremony is simply very distracting and many people will feel it disturbes the ceremony. After all, if somebody choses a church for her/his wedding, it is usual down to some extent to religious feelings, and I would not want to be a disturbing factor then.

It is usually easy to arrange for an after ceremony shoot in the church and then the use of flash is no problem at all, even with very conservative priests and guests.

Another note: In preparation of the wedding shoot, make a list of all important single occurances that are to be expected and simply need to be imaged (couples and relatives expect these standard shots to be part of the wedding album), like changing the rings, the kiss, the cutting of the cake etc. These things vary locally or from nation to nation (those (in)famous speeches of the father of the bride etc., are for instance much less important in Germany, then they seem to be in the English speaking countries).

Ben
11-14-2011, 12:14 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ash makes a solid point about flash and Frogfish makes a great point about having a back up camera. You must have a back up! I have two flashes which I usally just use during a dark reception. I never bust out my unbrellas but I always have them in the car just in case for supper bad lighting with family portraits.
Rent some lenses, see what you like but get at least one fast prime 1.4-1.8 and I would stick to 2.8 if you are looking at zooms.
Here is a link to the 3rd wedding I ever shot and my wife and I used a k-x,k20d,k200d the k-x is an excellent camerahttp://http://captivatedstudio.com/wedding/?p=156
You can get some decent B&W images at 3200 ISO.