Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2011, 08:11 PM   #1

Samyang 14 mm F2.8 mount type and adapter

I am planning my migration from Canon EOS 350 to Pentax K-5 and want to buy Samyang lenses that fit both cameras through an adapter. I need to decide the camera mount type of the lens I am buying. It is available in Sony Alpha, MFT, Nikon, Canon and Pentax (presumably PK) mounts.
After a good deal of searching, I have found adapters for PK lenses to almost any Camera mount type, including EOS and MFT (which I am also considering). See eg: Fotodiox . So the strategy seems to be to buy a lens with PK mount and use natively on K-5 and use Fotodiox adapter on Canon and an MFT adapter for Micro 4/3.
I would like an alternative strategy, E.G buying the lens with Canon mount and using an adapter for Pentax camera.
Also the adapter must not contain any lenses.
Any advice or thoughts welcome.

Best regards,
AJA

11-10-2011, 08:31 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that Canon -> Pentax adapters are much harder to come by if they at all exist. After all, Canon has a much bigger following, thus there are more adapters for their lens mount.

So I think your idea of buying lenses in the Pentax mount is a good idea. An alternative would be to get manual M42 screwmount lenses, which would be adaptable on pretty much any type of camera.
Pentax Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-10-2011, 09:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well the Pentax versions of the Samyang lenses are superior. They have auto aperture.
11-11-2011, 04:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I don't think it is possible to use the canon lenses with adapters without a lens element in a Pentax body.

11-11-2011, 04:28 PM   #5

QuoteQuote:
So the strategy seems to be to buy a lens with PK mount and use natively on K-5 and use Fotodiox adapter on Canon and an MFT adapter for Micro 4/3.
You've got it right. Pentax has a larger registration distance than MFT or Canon, so glassless adapters are easy to come by that convert formats. Of course, with any conversion, you'll usually lose some functionality. I'm not sure if any of the adapters stop down the pentax lenses properly. I'd assume not.
11-11-2011, 06:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

If you're getting a K5 anyway then consider selling the Canon350 and buying an older pentax body (k200d or *ist perhaps) as well for your second body, thus negating the need for a Kmount-to-canon adapter...
11-11-2011, 06:21 PM   #7
Pentaxian

The. Sad reality is that the only way to successfully mount a lens of a different manufacturer on any camera is to use a camera with a shorter registry distance and a paltry mount diameter. Trying to go the other way either in registry distance or mount diameter requires a mechanicalmspacer that compromises infinity focus. To correct for this requires optical elements that magnify the image (something like a teleconverter) making the conversion useless especially for wide angle lenses. Therefore get thie pentax mount and a k mount to eos adaptor with the chip for focus confirmation. This will let you at least play with the lens a little befo you get your k5. This is kind of my plan if pentax or now Ricoh ever stop making DSLRs, I would simply switch to canon and use an adaptor for most of my lenses
08-08-2013, 11:15 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery
I know this is a old thread, but I've got a Pentax mount Samyang 14mm that I want to use on a Canon 6D for aurora and night photography. I currently have a Pentax K-5 and would like to use it on both bodies. Just wondering if it's possible to get a Pentax to Canon adapter for this lens and use it without any problems?

Thanks

Aaron

08-08-2013, 03:49 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by catastrophe Quote
I know this is a old thread, but I've got a Pentax mount Samyang 14mm that I want to use on a Canon 6D for aurora and night photography. I currently have a Pentax K-5 and would like to use it on both bodies. Just wondering if it's possible to get a Pentax to Canon adapter for this lens and use it without any problems?

Thanks

Aaron
There is an adapter and you won't lose quality or infinity focus... but you may have a potential problem. The aperture lever on the Pentax might run into something important on the Canon. If you trim the lever, it won't work on a Pentax very well.
08-09-2013, 12:27 AM   #10

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
There is an adapter and you won't lose quality or infinity focus... but you may have a potential problem. The aperture lever on the Pentax might run into something important on the Canon. If you trim the lever, it won't work on a Pentax very well.
So if it runs into something on the Canon, will it not mount at all? I care more about mounting it on the Canon than the Pentax so if trimming fixes it, then I won't mind. Been thinking of a Nikon D600 too, any Pentax to Nikon adapters or is Pentax to Canon still the best way?
08-09-2013, 08:13 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by catastrophe Quote
So if it runs into something on the Canon, will it not mount at all? I care more about mounting it on the Canon than the Pentax so if trimming fixes it, then I won't mind. Been thinking of a Nikon D600 too, any Pentax to Nikon adapters or is Pentax to Canon still the best way?
You will lose resale value if you do this, but it's probably your best bet in getting it to work on both cameras. The reason you need to trim the lever is it will interfere with the mirror. It's less of a concern on APS-C cameras. I don't think you have to worry about a protruding rear element because the lens is designed to work on both mounts.