Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2011, 01:22 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I'll try if I ever get a shot at one again for under 160€ in good condition.

07-05-2013, 12:01 PM - 1 Like   #17
Forum Member

Hello,

I am sorry for responding to a thread that is already a few years old.

My J-6 arrived today. I did not know if it would fit, but I decided to take chance.

Just plain as it comes it does not fit my K5, exactly because of the reasons described in earlier posts. The outer barrel clashes with the flash mount. I found a few ways around it.

1: remove the outer-outer barrel which is 8cm diameter, has the distance scale, contains the tripod mount and covers some of the helicoid. Now the lens fits like a glove on my K5. The inner barrel just touches slightly. It has caused some minor coating damage, just scratches. But hey, it works and focussus to infinity.

2: You could machine down this outer barrel, removing the last 4 mm or so and making a good chamfer. Remove this barrel and put it in a lathe. This is somewhat irreversible. Fortunately for the lens I do not have access to a lathe, so I did not do this.

3: Use one of those bad aftermarket third-party M42-K adapters with a flange. This increases the flange distance. Judging from my camera that may just work. You will loose infinity though. Useless for a long lens. Although if you use the lens at F22 infinity may still be sharp.

4: The most magic solution: unscew the lens part from the helicoid part. Just as with most lenses from KMZ, you will find a shim ring between those parts. In my case it is 3mm thick, but I can imagine that this is different in every lens. Remove this ring. When mounting on the lens on the camera with a genuine adapter, place this exact ring between the lens and the camera. DONE! Simple, no machining, reversible and beautifull. Just a little fiddling with loose parts. Plus the focus-mark is no longer at the top and the tripod connection is no longer at the bottom, but I suppose that can be adjusted.

5: I still need to figure this one out, but you could machine shim plates from 4 in such a way that they match the third party adapter from 3. Less fiddling with parts and still focus to infinity. That would be very elegant in due time.

For now I am verrry happy with 4.

Last edited by JohntheThird; 07-05-2013 at 01:52 PM.
07-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohntheThird Quote
Hello,

I am sorry for responding to a thread that is already a few years old.

My J-6 arrived today. I did not know if it would fit, but I decided to take chance.

Just plain as it comes it does not fit my K5, exactly because of the reasons described in earlier posts. The outer barrel clashes with the flash mount. I found a few ways around it.

1: remove the outer-outer barrel which is 8cm diameter, has the distance scale, contains the tripod mount and covers some of the helicoid. Now the lens fits like a glove on my K5. The inner barrel just touches slightly. It has caused some minor coating damage, just scratches. But hey, it works and focussus to infinity.

2: You could machine down this outer barrel, removing the last 4 mm or so and making a good chamfer. Remove this barrel and put it in a lathe. This is somewhat irreversible. Fortunately for the lens I do not have access to a lathe, so I did not do this.

3: Use one of those bad aftermarket third-party M42-K adapters with a flange. This increases the flange distance. Judging from my camera that may just work. You will loose infinity though. Useless for a long lens. Although if you use the lens at F22 infinity may still be sharp.

4: The most magic solution: unscew the lens part from the helicoid part. Just as with most lenses from KMZ, you will find a shim ring between those parts. In my case it is 3mm thick, but I can imagine that this is different in every lens. Remove this ring. When mounting on the lens on the camera with a genuine adapter, place this exact ring between the lens and the camera. DONE! Simple, no machining, reversible and beautifull. Just a little fiddling with loose parts. Plus the focus-mark is no longer at the top and the tripod connection is no longer at the bottom, but I suppose that can be adjusted.

5: I still need to figure this one out, but you could machine shim plates from 3 in such a way that they match the third party adapter from 2. Less fiddling with parts and still focus to infinity.

For now I am verrry happy with 4.
Great guide, thanks!