Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2011, 12:41 PM   #31
Banned

Original Poster
I have to say, this lens is BOKAHALIC.. at f/4, it produces lot better bokah than my previous sigma 17-70 at the same aperture or lower.

first pic f/5.6 2nd pic f/4 3rd pic f/7.1 4th pic f/4

Attached Images

11-13-2011, 12:44 PM   #32
Banned

Original Poster
look at the little bug in the second picture in the center...
Attached Images

11-13-2011, 12:52 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree with Excanonfd and I think you see too many problems and that you should make your own judgement.
Don't be influenced by all them pixel peepers on this forum.
The 17-70 is a fine lens, yes there are better, but at the end will you be able to tell the difference all the time?

Now on the pictures you are showing:
- The weather you are testing in, is *not* helping you. Dull flat light.
- PF can easily be corrected (automatically even) in Lightroom, Bibble and others.
If you spend serious money on a serious camera, you might start shooting RAW (if you are not already) and spend money on a serious S/W package as well.
- Did you make comaprison shots with the kitlens and how do that compare?
- The images on this forum lack the complete resolution, the only one doing the comparison between the 17-70 and the kitlens is you.

Overall sharpness, bokeh, handling, AF speed and flare are the issues to look for.
For sharpness, do AF fine tuning before shooting test shots. Some shots look a little off (BF if I'm right).

Having said this all. If there is no *real* issue with the lens, I'd be happy with the gift if I were you, and be very gratefull to the people spending so much money on you.

= Bert
11-14-2011, 08:23 AM   #34
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
I agree with Excanonfd and I think you see too many problems and that you should make your own judgement.
Don't be influenced by all them pixel peepers on this forum.
The 17-70 is a fine lens, yes there are better, but at the end will you be able to tell the difference all the time?

Now on the pictures you are showing:
- The weather you are testing in, is *not* helping you. Dull flat light.
- PF can easily be corrected (automatically even) in Lightroom, Bibble and others.
If you spend serious money on a serious camera, you might start shooting RAW (if you are not already) and spend money on a serious S/W package as well.
- Did you make comaprison shots with the kitlens and how do that compare?
- The images on this forum lack the complete resolution, the only one doing the comparison between the 17-70 and the kitlens is you.

Overall sharpness, bokeh, handling, AF speed and flare are the issues to look for.
For sharpness, do AF fine tuning before shooting test shots. Some shots look a little off (BF if I'm right).

Having said this all. If there is no *real* issue with the lens, I'd be happy with the gift if I were you, and be very gratefull to the people spending so much money on you.

= Bert
I agree with you.
I never tried kit lens. the first lens I owned was sigma 17-70 2.8-4 which was an excellent lens and I made a huge mistake selling it. That's why everyone was trying to buy me 17-70 lens as bday gift but they didn't know it was Sigma and not Pentax.

I think even with K-5,, I need to use my external flash indoors if I need to have better IQ. Increasing the ISO simply depreciate the IQ regardless of camera. I haven't tried Sigma or Tamron 17-50 at all so I can';t really say how sharp they are compare to this one. I might order both from B&H and see the difference. From the other side, I hate to return the gift.

11-14-2011, 04:37 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dr_romix Quote
I agree with you.
I never tried kit lens. the first lens I owned was sigma 17-70 2.8-4 which was an excellent lens and I made a huge mistake selling it. That's why everyone was trying to buy me 17-70 lens as bday gift but they didn't know it was Sigma and not Pentax.

I think even with K-5,, I need to use my external flash indoors if I need to have better IQ. Increasing the ISO simply depreciate the IQ regardless of camera. I haven't tried Sigma or Tamron 17-50 at all so I can';t really say how sharp they are compare to this one. I might order both from B&H and see the difference. From the other side, I hate to return the gift.
The Sigma that you've had isn't any better than the DA 17-70. it has both strengths and weaknesses when compared with the DA 17-70 but the reality is neither of these lenses are stellar performers - they are definitely a clear step up from the kit lens - there are better lenses available just not in the 4x zoom range that you seem to desire.

Edit: Instead of waxing nostalgia about the Sigma, why don't you buy it back? https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/164291-sale-f...control-f.html You can then do a direct comparison between the two 17-70.

Last edited by excanonfd; 11-14-2011 at 04:45 PM. Reason: additional comment
11-14-2011, 05:00 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
based on the resoultion chart..the f4 of 17-70 is a lot sharp than f2.8 of 16-50...
honestly, with my 16-50...I usually avoid f2.8..I only use it when I want that dof of f2.8...it is usable...but for general use I usually bump up ISO and use f4..with my k5..it is not a big problem...
so I think 17-70 is a great lens..