Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2007, 08:41 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Hi powered zooms.

Hi gang.

My strongest zoom at this time is 300mm. I am asking for comments from those who own stronger lenses and also what is currently available or possibly coming down the pipe for those rumor folks.

I'd like to consider another strong zoom but not if quality will suck......er...suffer.

Thanks,
Tom

12-16-2007, 05:38 AM   #2
Inactive Account

I have a Sigma 50-500mm f/4-6.3 EX DG HSM (Bigma) for my Canon. I do know they make this lens for a Pentax mount with no HSM.

I cannot sing high enough praise for this lens. It is heavy, but heavy enough that it actually stabilizes you so that you can easily hand hold this monster maxed out. Something that could not be done with a much lighter lens. For example, I have a light 500mm f/8 Cat that I could never hand hold in a slight breeze without getting image blur.

this lens is about 90% always on my 20D during nice weather when I like to wander around and take photos of nature.

Just an image to show you the relative size of the lens. It is almost twice the length when zoomed out.
[IMG][/IMG]
12-16-2007, 06:47 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Put me down as another "bigma" 50-500mm fan. On the K10D it is equally well balanced but should have the grip on the camera. Very good image quality. I have a Pentax 300mm f4 (K mount) and this lens, even though it's a zoom with typical zoom limits, can compare to that lens. I've hand held this at 1/60th with SR and gotten great results. Other than it's a little slow, it has few flaws.

Love that BushHawk. might have to add that to the EBA list!
12-16-2007, 06:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hey Chako, how do you like that Bush Hawk support?

12-16-2007, 09:23 AM   #5
Inactive Account

I like it a lot. Better then a monopod for what I use it for, which is stalking little birds and other fast critters..

I have modified the model since I have gotten it. I bought one single gun strap mount (nut and bolt type) that I mounted in one of the forward grip holes. I then turned over the shoulder stock so that the sling mount is up. This allows me to sling a nice long strap over my shoulder as I walk along with the camera and gunstock in the firing positon across my chest and not hung upside down as originally designed. Super comfortable this way and I can go for a long day in the bush with no sore arms and am always ready for a quick shot if need be. I am thinking of modifying the front hand grip to include a folding gun bipod.

It is an attention getter at times. Since I am the only one around with one, I have to field a lot of questions from curious people. I have only had it for a year now, and only one person thought it was a firearm at first glance. 99% of the time, they just want to know what it is, does it work good, etc. Even had a police officer approach me once just to ask if he could hold it lol.
12-16-2007, 09:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
After some of the shots I've seen taken with the Bigma I wish I had the $1000.00 to get one.
12-16-2007, 01:12 PM   #7
roy
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
you might want to consider a 300 prime and a couple of decent TCs. that's what i use to get 300/2.8mm, 420mm/4, and 600mm/5.6
no way can i handhold it at 600mm.

12-16-2007, 06:42 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Hey Chako

What calibre uranium-tipped shells does it fire ?

Best regards
Richard
12-16-2007, 07:06 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Since the filter size is 86mm, guess there is your answer.