Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2011, 04:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

FA50 difficult to mount

Hello,

Recently, my FA50mm has become very difficult to mount, I have to apply a lot of force. This happens on all my cameras, and all my other lenses are smooth. Has anyone else has this problem? I guess a solution involves WD40, but I'm a bit hesitant to try it.

11-13-2011, 05:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Has the lens been dropped/banged? Is the mount bent at all?
11-13-2011, 07:50 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by EricT Quote
Hello,

Recently, my FA50mm has become very difficult to mount, I have to apply a lot of force. This happens on all my cameras, and all my other lenses are smooth. Has anyone else has this problem? I guess a solution involves WD40, but I'm a bit hesitant to try it.
Please don't use WD-40. Even on guns, it causes problems, the volatiles evaporate and leave a gummy residue. If this gummy stuff gets into the electrical contacts, the lens is probably a throw away item.

Your lens metal mount has been deformed somehow. Get some magnification and light and examine it in detail. If its a single point of damage, like a bent flange, it might be possible to touch up the offending surface with Jeweler's files (there is significant risk in getting metal dust into the lens and spreading it into your camera). if its a whole flange surface is distorted, then a parts swap with another less costly lens or a scrap lens might be the way to go. Without knowing your capabilities, its impossible for anyone to advise you, i would think. Would probably be best to send it off to a repair shop for an estimate.

good luck!
11-17-2011, 11:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for the replies. As far as I know, the lens has not been dropped, but I have small children in the house, so you never know. I cannot see any damage/distortion on the flange, so if it's there it must be very minor. I guess I'll just live with it, and if the issue becomes worse, I'll contact a repair shop.

11-17-2011, 12:57 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe I'm unduly paranoid, but I see it like this:

If you're experiencing ANY unusual resistance, there may some metal-to-metal scraping going on, which might release small particles of metal into your shutter / mirror box / sensor area / rear lens elements. All bad.

Honestly, I'd get this looked at ASAP, and quit using the lens until it's figured out.