Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2011, 12:49 PM   #1

macro filters

hey can anyone help?

Ive got a pentax 18-55mm and a Sigma DG APO MACRO 70 mm - 300 mm.

I want to get some macro filters but i dont want to buy two sets for my two lenses so does anyone know which would be better to use with macro filters?

11-13-2011, 12:52 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Instead of using diopters I would reverse the 18-55 lens; that should work well.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-13-2011, 12:57 PM   #3

Original Poster
hey sorry but im new to photography that isnt just point and shoot. could you explain that again just in a little more detail please?
11-13-2011, 02:10 PM   #4

i have a nikon macro filter, think it's called "6T". if i'm not mistaken it has a diameter of 62mm, and when i was using it (quite a few years ago, hence my bad memory ; ) i had the appropriate step up/down rings for it, to match it to lenses with different filter diameter. you get step up/down rings for very little money, good quality macro filters will cost more, but one should do. here is a quick search result at bhphoto for a "close filter 67mm" (change the criteria to fit your needs)

Last edited by thorir; 11-13-2011 at 02:49 PM.
11-13-2011, 02:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'd recommend the Raynox dcr-150 to be combined with your Sigma. This comes with a clip-on adapter for 52-67mm filter threads. With this combo you get a magnification range from ~ 0.5x - 1.5x depending on the FL used and a working distance of about 8". The Raynox is a corrected three element lens that gives vastly superior results compared to the cheap single element adapters.
11-13-2011, 02:52 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Raynox DCR 150

QuoteOriginally posted by cookiies Quote
hey can anyone help?

Ive got a pentax 18-55mm and a Sigma DG APO MACRO 70 mm - 300 mm.

I want to get some macro filters but i dont want to buy two sets for my two lenses so does anyone know which would be better to use with macro filters?
Rather than buying a set of close-up lenses consider buying one good close-up lens and using it on a zoom lens to cover a range of magnifications.

You'll be happiest with a lens that allows a good space between itself and the subject - called "working distance".

I think your best bet will be to chose an achromatic or apchromatic lens with focal length between 150-250mm, or diopter between 4 and 6.

Raynox, Marmuri, and Canon make such lenses.

The $75 Raynox DCR 150 (208mm) is very popular - it takes superb photos and will snap onto any lens with a 52-67mm filter ring.

On your 70-300mm zoom it would give magnifications of from a minimum of about 1:3 to almost 2:1 - a very useful range for hand-holding - with a working distance of about 8". All your lens' automatic functions including flash will continue to work (this is important).

It is tempting to buy a set of simpler lenses for quite a bit less but the extra $50 or so for a good lens is well worth it quality-wise.
11-13-2011, 04:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

There are many ways to shoot macros inexpensively. Here is the crash course: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/152336-cheap-macro-b...lose-work.html

What you call "macro filters" are simple closeup adapters, variously called meniscus lenses or diopters or +dioptres. They are cheap, fun, and don't have great optics. Closeup adapters like the DCR-150 and -250 are corrected for optical aberrations and can give brilliant results -- see the RAYNOX CLUB here for examples. The Raynoxi come with a universal clip-on adapter that fits onto any lens with front threads between 52-69mm; with a step-down ring, it can be used on larger-diameter lenses.

11-15-2011, 07:24 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just so you know the score, macro filters or "close up lenses" work as follows.

The filters are specified by the Diopter value, which is actually 1/Focal length in meters.

When attached to your lens, they convert your lens into a macro lens by doing 2 functions, first of all, your maximum focal length is 1/diopter value in meters. This means that you are limited to 1 meter maximum focus distance with a 1 diopter lens

Your magnification is the ratio of subject distance to image distance, and therefore if you consider the lens at infinity, the subject distance will be the diopter Focal Length and the image distance will be your lens focal length.

As you can see, you will get larger magnification with longer lenses.

It is up to you to decide what lens you wish to put the diopter on, in order to get the most from it.