Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2011, 12:56 PM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 10
Pentax to Canon EF adapter question

Hello.
I'm new here, and hopefully asking what I am about to ask is not considered a major sin ; )

I need to mount a Pentax lens (an older K mount, manual focus) to a Canon camera, and need a proper adapter. Preferably one that allows auto focus confirm, and equally importantly (or more, actually), one that mounts the lens correctly and not at an angle, as cheaper adapters sometimes do.

So if any of you have recommendation for a good one, or a 'stay-away' warning for a bad one, I'd appreciate it greatly.

I am aware of the aperture lever issue.


Thanks in advance.

Thorir V

11-13-2011, 03:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member
borno's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: md-usa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,580
Hey,
The one I got off eBay does mount the lens at an angle, but I don't know if they all do. Mine reports ex if as 50mm f2 no matter what lens is used. If you use on a full frame the aperture lever and shield must be removed, but fine on aps-c. I can't remember the seller though. Also my 1Dsii required me to solder a little extra to the adapter flange as this body has a little switch in the mount or I would not get focus confirm, but I don't think any other bodies have that switch.
11-13-2011, 05:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Niagara
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 792
check this out

Adapters: SLR to RF
11-13-2011, 06:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member
borno's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: md-usa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,580
Wow $200, I paid about $30 for mine and it works fine.

11-13-2011, 11:31 PM   #5
New Member




Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 10
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
check this out

Adapters:* SLR to RF
yea, i had him in mind (guess i was hoping to not having to spend $200 ; )
thanks
11-13-2011, 11:32 PM   #6
New Member




Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 10
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
Wow $200, I paid about $30 for mine and it works fine.
thanks. i see the angle is quite far off, but is it tight, does it stay where it is? (i've had adapters that were quite loose on the body)
11-14-2011, 03:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member
borno's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: md-usa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,580
QuoteOriginally posted by thorir Quote
thanks. i see the angle is quite far off, but is it tight, does it stay where it is? (i've had adapters that were quite loose on the body)
Mine fits tight and the angle actually helps to see the f-stop scale a little better. I did have to modify this lens to fit the 1dsii and trim the tab that protrudes a little from the back of the adapter. It was a little spring latch that locks the lens in the mount and it would contact the metal in the focus screen area. No problems at all on a crop sensor body though.

I just looked on ebay and it appears the newer ones don't have the protruding tab, so I guess they changed the design on the bulk of them.

Last edited by borno; 11-14-2011 at 04:01 AM.
11-14-2011, 12:39 PM   #8
New Member




Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 10
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
check this out

Adapters:* SLR to RF

Then, since I believe in spending more money once, instead of little money often (as is sometimes the case with the lowest priced alternatives) and ending up with better quality and possibly less money spent, I contacted Gandy. He was quick to reply "EF-S only", so I guess this option is not an option. Not really sure though if he read the part in my mail where I explained that the lens in question doesn't have an aperture lever, but ohwell.. Next mail Novoflex (couldn't find one via their website, but asking to be sure). So... guess it'll be Ebay after all...

11-14-2011, 12:43 PM   #9
New Member




Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 10
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
Mine fits tight and the angle actually helps to see the f-stop scale a little better. I did have to modify this lens to fit the 1dsii and trim the tab that protrudes a little from the back of the adapter. It was a little spring latch that locks the lens in the mount and it would contact the metal in the focus screen area. No problems at all on a crop sensor body though.

I just looked on ebay and it appears the newer ones don't have the protruding tab, so I guess they changed the design on the bulk of them.
Do you have any idea what to look for on ebay (and equally important: what to stay away from)?
Would be really helpful, as I'm quite green re. both brands (Ca/Pe)..

(in any case, I appreciate the time you've taken replying)
11-14-2011, 12:52 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,235
If you look the Steven Goudy (cameraquest) adapter is only for K to apsc canon (he's pretty specific)
He's always been pricey on adapters however I've never heard anything bad about his adapters either (usually though I'm talking with people getting leica ltm to leica m when discussing his)
11-14-2011, 01:00 PM   #11
New Member




Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 10
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
If you look the Steven Goudy (cameraquest) adapter is only for K to apsc canon (he's pretty specific)
He's always been pricey on adapters however I've never heard anything bad about his adapters either (usually though I'm talking with people getting leica ltm to leica m when discussing his)
yeah I know, I read the specs
I just had a wishful thought that it was due to the aperture lever most Pentax K lenses have, but the preset one I'm looking at doesn't.

I've purchased stuff from him before (Cosina) and would gladly spend my money with him again. Not this time though, obviously, since the thing won't fit : (
11-14-2011, 05:13 PM   #12
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Niagara
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 792
did a little reading in c't Digital Photography mag, article about manual lenses. It states that Pentax K to Canon EOS can use either the camera quest adapter(EF_s only), or "Enjoyyourcamera adapter but alas, it too is EF-s only.
11-14-2011, 07:34 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member
borno's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: md-usa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,580
QuoteOriginally posted by thorir Quote
Do you have any idea what to look for on ebay (and equally important: what to stay away from)?
Would be really helpful, as I'm quite green re. both brands (Ca/Pe)..

(in any case, I appreciate the time you've taken replying)
Hey thorir,
I wish I could remember the seller I got mine from, but most of them look pretty similar. I am pretty sure it was $25 or $30 dollars if that helps. I really wanted to use my pentax 50mm f1.4 I had since 1984 on a full frame so I had to modify it. I don't use it a whole lot though because my eyes aren't too good for MF any more. Anyways it helps me to not miss the FA31mm I sold a while back.

11-14-2011, 11:07 PM   #14
New Member




Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 10
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
Hey thorir,
I wish I could remember the seller I got mine from, but most of them look pretty similar. I am pretty sure it was $25 or $30 dollars if that helps. I really wanted to use my pentax 50mm f1.4 I had since 1984 on a full frame so I had to modify it. I don't use it a whole lot though because my eyes aren't too good for MF any more. Anyways it helps me to not miss the FA31mm I sold a while back.

: )
Ok, but thanks a lot for your input. I appreciate it.
Thorir
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
adapter, canon, focus, k-mount, lens, pentax, pentax lens, pentax to canon, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax PK lens to Canon EOS adapter NRV Shooter Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 11-20-2011 04:35 AM
canon fd - pk adapter question? ripit Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 9 10-31-2011 02:10 AM
HELP! Canon adapter stuck on my Pentax lens tomaplaw Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 2 07-12-2011 01:05 PM
Zykkor Canon FD Lens to Pentax K Body Adapter?? benhai Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 5 06-16-2011 07:21 PM
Adapter from Canon FL/FD mount to Pentax? Edvard_Grieg Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 9 03-12-2008 01:56 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:11 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top